Keeping the smell down in the trash can?

gnd567

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Without getting into the gross details, I wan to use my diapers for BOTH of their intended purposes because I find it really relieves stress and plus it’s fun. Clean up isn’t that big of deal for me now that I use the big adult wipes.

My only problem is: I still live at home and I’d like to find a way to keep the garbage can outside from stinking too much as I don’t want my folks to start trying to figure out what the smell is. I know it would be hard to pass that smell off as coming from my niece’s diapers. Do baby diapers smell as bad?

I guess I need some tips/advice on disposing of dirty diapers and keeping the smell down. Trash day is only once a week (Monday.)

Thanks.

I can give you a tip I gave someone else :0!
I'd recommend small trash bags to be per diaper and throw the individual ones away into a bigger bag
So definitely get small bags with odor shield, the big one too would help
And maybe a wax warmer/oil defuser to mask any smell that remains :) I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL, Sheepies, camperspampers1 and 1 other person
Piggyback off Jayson there, that's what I do. This is why I save tons of store bags. Just throw the diaper in it, tie it up, then toss it outside

Reactions: TigerDL, JaysonTheRegressor and gnd567
Antientmariner said:
Piggyback off Jayson there, that's what I do. This is why I save tons of store bags. Just throw the diaper in it, tie it up, then toss it outside
I think I’ll start doing that.

gnd567 said:
I wan to use my diapers for BOTH of their intended purposes.
I still live at home and I’d like to find a way to keep the garbage can outside from stinking too much
Trash day is only once a week (Monday.)

Like others have said, wrapping each one in a store/grocery plastic bag helps out a lot.

But I think you have a bigger problem, #2 + outside trash bin + sitting for a week + Summer heat
There is gonna be no hiding that once it hits 90F (32C), lol. Not to mention a very potential fly problem.
Even those big automated robo cans aren't gonna contain that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL
MandyBear said:
But I think you have a bigger problem, #2 + outside trash bin + sitting for a week + Summer heat
There is gonna be no hiding that once it hits 90F, lol.
That’s true. I guess there’s no real way around it I guess I will have to limit the times I do it. Maybe I’ll have to wait until the weekend next time.

Dryer sheets do wonders in a trash can, but I'm not sure it would hide #2 in diapers sitting outside for a week in the summer heat.

Bostonlace said:
this might sound kind of gross, but like if you kinda like scoop the number 2 into the toilet before you throw away the diaper the diaper wont smell so bad.
That’s not a bad idea. Wish I would’ve thought of that.

Bostonlace said:
this might sound kind of gross, but like if you kinda like scoop the number 2 into the toilet before you throw away the diaper the diaper wont smell so bad.
It also saves more room so you can put multiple used diapers in one bag. But that depends how often u use.

DiaperedDiscreetly said:
It also saves more room so you can put multiple used diapers in one bag. But that depends how often u use.
A good point. Next time I will try this.

Bostonlace said:
I've tried scoping the #2 in the toilet before, and it never goes well. It never flushes down properly without 20 mins of plunging.

MandyBear said:
Like others have said, wrapping each one in a store/grocery plastic bag helps out a lot.

There is gonna be no hiding that once it hits 90F (32C), lol. Not to mention a very potential fly problem.
Even those big automated robo cans aren't gonna contain that.
Well this might come as a shock to you, but all trash cans smell like sh!t. If anyone ever comments on the smell of my garbage can outside, I'll tell them to find the source, and make it smell like roses

I just double bag each diaper that I use, been doing it for 4 years nearly, so far so good. Scooping the poop out is pointless imo.

Whenever you go #2, empty the contents into the toilet. And sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda inside the diaper before you throw it out. Individually bag or double bag soiled diapers. Honestly though I'd be more concerned about the smells inside your house than the outdoor trash can.

Emptying the contents into the toilet was brought up before in this thread I'm reading. How is 1 bm consistently requiring 20 min of plunging though?

Don't throw the sap into the toilet if that's what's going on. Have never had any issues emptying diapers into the toilet before.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL and Bostonlace
if you lived in an apartment I would take him to the dumpster cuz you live in a house it's going to be really hard for you to hide it

Bostonlace said:
I was wondering why it would take 20 mins to plunge down a poo without any toilet paper.
If it was really firm but got squished down, it can be too wide to fit through the pipes (especially if it's a low-flush toilet with old and/or substandard plumbing).

But yeah, definitely dump it out in the toilet if you can.

Also roll the diaper up tightly from the front, stopping at the halfway point to fold the wings in before continuing. Seal it up inside a small plastic bag (grocery bags work great) and then bag that in the main trashcan. Try not to leave a huge pocket of air inside it, as that'll cause more odor to waft out any time the bag is disturbed.

As far as interior odors go, change asap and make sure to leave the bathroom exhaust fan running while you're cleaning up. There are also some foods that can cause poo to smell worse than others. Pay attention to your diet in the days beforehand so you can get a feel for what works and what's a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: TigerDL
About emptying diaper contents into the toilet, make sure you empty near the hole, where there is water, as opposed to say higher up front. The poop will stick to the dry bowl and not come off easily with the flushes. I speak, sadly, from experience.

Use dog doo bags. Empty #2 in toilet as much as possible. Urine does react with bacteria and starts to smell within a day or so. Put diaper into doggie bag (you can trim off excess if necessary, pull-up type (small/medium) fist just fine). Then put in a larger plastic trash bag and twist the top. Grocery bags are not very good as there are seams and they also often have small holes in them. Get a bucket and top from Home Depot (it has a rubber gasket in the slit area) and put the bag in it. You can put in drier sheets. Dog bags are meant to keep the smell down. Hide the bucket. The odor will stay in the bucket for sure (until you open it). Or you can take the diapers to a store dumpster a few times a week if you don't want them around.

Back