Keeping cool in hot weather

Sachi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Since i live in the south it gets pretty hot down here, and i want to to try and wear more often. What are some ways to stay cool while diapered in the summer, and what are some diapers to wear during hot periods?

Reactions: Deleted member 66129
Heat & diapers are unfortunately a uncomfortable reality.
As someone who is in them 24-7 summer is the worst time to be IC. You sweat so dang much & your skin pays the price.
Staying cool as possible with extra powder & creams is the only solution I've found. I tend to eat more ice cream
Drink lots of water which I mostly sweat out.
Fall is near & diaper wearing should become more comfortable again

Reactions: Truckerguy, Jorelaxed, bdale and 2 others
Yeah, i wasn't gonna wear 24/7, just a lot less. About 12/7

I would wear a thinner, low absorbency diaper and change more often, cloth backed will usually be less hot than plastic backed brands.

We have hot summers where I live, but without the outrageous humidity that is common in some areas. Still, hot weather is difficult. I have severe OAB with urge incontinence and a summer or daytime diaper really isn't a viable option for me. I stay indoors during the hottest time of the day and dress to stay cool...running shorts and a t-shirt, and stay in air conditioned spaces when at all possible. I also go undiapered for several hours a day to give my skin a break, usually at night and/or at home so it's not a catastrophe if I wet my pants. Even though I wear a premium diaper, booster and plastic pants, I've never had diaper rash or any serious skin problem as I'm careful to change regularly and give my skin a break from the diaper, from time to time.

Gotcha. Good thing this also aligns with my cycle of wearing and not wearing

KaleidoscopeKitty said:
I would wear a thinner, low absorbency diaper and change more often, cloth backed will usually be less hot than plastic backed brands.
I wonder about this. If what people say is true; cloth still has a plastic liner, then how do they end up cooler? I am wondering, is this just a lie sold to us by manufacturers to try and sell us cloth.... Well I say cloth, it's woven plastic 😂

I'm not criticising what you said @KaleidoscopeKitty , just wondering....

I’m unable to spend some of my time in AC due to work requirements. I’ve seen 108 degrees lately but fortunately my time outside is limited to an hour max per site visit.
Lite weight, white colored clothes is key. Clothes that cover much of your skin is also important, as well as a wide brim straw or similar hat. I opt for a mostly white sun dress with a white scarf that covers my arms and neck, which works for me.
As for airing out…. I leak nearly constantly with intermittent gushes. I can take longer in the shower, but that’s it.

Reactions: Zeke and bdale
Airing out definitely has its challenges and often results in wet pants, which is why this only occurs at home and/or at night out walking where wet pants won't be as noticeable. I generally leak frequently with intermittent gushes, but my incontinence is also inconsistent as some days I don't leak at all. Those leak free days are rare and unpredictable so diapering is a daily/nightly reality for me that gives me a quality of life I wouldn't otherwise have.

Reactions: Jorelaxed
Well I for sure stay hydrated, avoid soft drinks, I wear the same diapers year round, just add baby powder. I use Trest or Seni diapers.
Also using a portable a/c unit at home.

Last edited:
Wearing 24/7 for some time now, there is no real way to keep cool when wearing diapers. What my girlfriend usually does when it's hot out is to not put plastic pants over my diaper and to allow me to wear nothing but my diaper and a locking onesie over it. While that's of course warmer than for example just normal underwear, it makes the heat mostly bearable. Also, even if you're someone who likes plastic backed diapers better, cloth backed is the way to go in hotter temperatures because they are at least a bit breathable. Plastic backed just feels like sticking a plastic bag to me and I always have the feeling that the diaper has to absorb at least as much sweat as pee.

I'm only comfortable below 25 Celsius, and in the past that was a significant factor for me to decide when to wear.
Besides diapers by nature aren't really the most efficient garment in dissipating heat, though some setups are better than others.

My experience has occurred in less extreme circumstances than those of some other people (namely, i can decide whether to wear a diaper or not, and my town's climate, while being classified as "subtropical" according to Koppen, can't really be compared to places like Phoenix, L.A.or Houston), but here are my observations, for what they might be worth:

-Using air conditioning for a couple hours really helps me recover, and not feel overwhelmed by heat - ceiling fans, not so much.
I've experienced that this feels especially important in the evening and in the morning, when waking up, but I didn't find that to be as important in other times of the day, every if during those times it's actually hotter.

-I fully subscribe to the suggestion about bright colored, loose clothes.
If you only wear at home you might also consider to only wear a diaper and a loose shirt, even better a sleeveless one.
As I'm writing this I'm wearing some very skimpy runner shorts, the kind that normally would only cover your undergarments and little else.If I'm wearing a diaper and those shorts the sides of the diaper would peek from the leg holes, but personally that isn't a big issue. I'd never go out wearing these and a diaper, though.
Why I'm mentioning my shorts? Because by wearing them I can feel just as much as ventilated as I would if I only wore my pants, or diaper, while actually having something to cover them up and mantain a measure of decency.

-I never found cloth backed to be an improvement, rather I discovered that I actually sweat more in them.

-But, as I stated, I don't like to feel much heat down there, and for me a full plastic diaper feels generally uncomfortable, and like torture in summer.
On the other hand, I've found my equilibrium by wearing diapers that have breathable (i.e. non-wowen) wings, but are otherwise plastic backed.I'm probably very sensitive to heat and perspiration around my hips, while not as much in the other areas a diaper would cover.
Experiment with it, though your mileage may vary.

-If you need to use a booster or a liner for additional absorbency or feel, please consider using a liner: i wore my diapers with thin, store brand, plastic backed rectangular inserts until recently, but recently bought a pack of liners: I've found out that while the liners were thicker and had firmer padding somehow diaper felt much more breathable using them.

Hopefully you will find what works for you.
Summer and diapers could and should fit into the same sentence, regardless of what specific motivation you have to wear them.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
My daytime incontinence is mostly dribbles and squirts, rarely a complete void. I change a lot more in the summer from sweat than urine. When at home I wear a Threaded Armor lounge diaper which I find much cooler than a disposable. Summertime and being incontinent is not fun.

Yeah it sounds unpleasant. Which is why i mainly wear for fun

I honestly haven't had any issues with diapers when hot out, but then again I am not happy unless it is at least 85 out. Seems the entire USA has been setting records all summer yet NE Pa has NOT had a hot summer, so far :-(

North shore does have new versions of their air diapers with the insane stick of mega max tapes and same landing zones. Seems to be pretty decent on their mega max version, but they do have a lower end one that may be closer to supreme. I haven’t switched yet, but these southern heat waves suck. I wear diapers daily, if I had to be out of office like I used to, it’d be tempting. Might be worth looking at them if you don’t mind the loud tape sounds. They really no longer have sagging problems with new tape system.

Sachi said:
Since i live in the south it gets pretty hot down here, and i want to to try and wear more often. What are some ways to stay cool while diapered in the summer, and what are some diapers to wear during hot periods?
Working in Texas heat I start my days early diapered and it isn't long till it's soaked and saggy due to sweat and use as well so lately I wear as long as I can without giving myself a rash and switch to adult pullups or just pads in my onesie to keep the little feel going and it's alot cooler

All of these sound like good tips! Thanks to all who posted!

Reactions: Deleted member 66129
Back