Johnson’s Baby Powder

badger50

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Here in the UK Johnson’s Baby Powder (JBP) switched from being made from talc to corn(or maize) starch.

I guess it’s fair to say I’m not someone that loves change. But for 40 years, the smell and the texture of JBP hasn’t changed.

The new product feels like cornflour (because it is). What’s more the scent they’ve given it smells more old person than Johnson’s Baby to me.

I know there are concerns around using real talc and possible links to cancer - not really what I want to get into in this thread.

I just want to know how others are coping with the loss of something so familiar. Have you found another product that ‘ticks the boxes’ that JBP ticked for you?

• Sad
Reactions: Tine, TeeMousy, Edgewater and 2 others
So I have an old bottle of Johnson's I've been conserving for a bit.

Reactions: TeeMousy, Edgewater, Angelapinks and 1 other person
pdiapered said:
So I have an old bottle of Johnson's I've been conserving for a bit.
I’ve posted this now, because I ran out a few days ago. Need to double check if there’s a travel bottle left in my wash bag somewhere!

Reactions: Edgewater
I have a couple large bottles of the old stuff. I'm not looking forward to it becoming entirely obsolete.

Reactions: TeeMousy, Edgewater and badger50
I think J&J powder smells babyish. But that's only because I know not of this better smell you speak of.

Reactions: TeeMousy, DIAPERBOY34, Edgewater and 1 other person
theancientmariner said:
I think J&J powder smells babyish. But that's only because I know not of this better smell you speak of.
Check on the ingredients if you have the original version which will use talc. Or if you have the new version which uses corn/maize starch.

I much prefer the OG talc versions too. Mainly the scent, but the powder itself is also way finer and feels a lot more soothing and nicer too and the corn starch powder clumps up when it's wet. I'm okay with and enjoy the new powder too, as in if that's all available I'd much rather use it than not use it, but I like the talc powder variant way more. They discontinued the talc powder here in the US some time ago. I ordered a bunch of the talc bottles off of eBay and have about 17-18 bottles. I'm gonna be sad when they're all gone and completely not available anymore :(

Reactions: Edgewater, Sealander, Angelapinks and 1 other person
badger50 said:
Here in the UK Johnson’s Baby Powder (JBP) switched from being made from talc to corn(or maize) starch.

I guess it’s fair to say I’m not someone that loves change. But for 40 years, the smell and the texture of JBP hasn’t changed.

The new product feels like cornflour (because it is). What’s more the scent they’ve given it smells more old person than Johnson’s Baby to me.

I know there are concerns around using real talc and possible links to cancer - not really what I want to get into in this thread.

I just want to know how others are coping with the loss of something so familiar. Have you found another product that ‘ticks the boxes’ that JBP ticked for you?
I get my J&J Baby Powder off amazon mostly and it is still made with talc so I've not experienced any issues is getting talc based baby powder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, Angelapinks and badger50
badger50 said:

I use it every night and I don't care for it very much. I did find Talc at the Dollar store (Poundland) and it is talc but the scent is not so grate. I popped the lids off and mixed the two and it is better but not good enough so I am on the lookout for Vintage Johnsons powder or perhaps in small town drug stores or 5 and Dime stores in out of the way places. The last baby powder I got was made in Mexico and contained Talc but the smell was not too great.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Edgewater and badger50
Astro said:
I get my J&J Baby Powder off amazon mostly and it is still made with talc so I've not experienced any issues is getting talc based baby powder.
Which country is that in?

• Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater and Angelapinks
They stopped talc here in brazil
This year

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater, badger50 and Angelapinks
I bought a significant stockpile of j&j powder when they announced if was end of sale. I use it sparingly, I probably have enough for five-ten more years.

Reactions: Edgewater, badger50 and Angelapinks
I just bought 3 x 500g bottles on eBay uk. Can’t quite decide whether to splurge and buy loads of it. It’s about £5.50/bottle at the moment. I can only see the price for what is left going up.

badger50 said:

No I use Johnsons with corn starch. I am in the u.s.a.

It is definitely finer and the scent is not the same, I find when you sprinkle it there's a cloud of it in the air.

Reactions: Edgewater, fredy552 and badger50
I buy the corn starch based powder.

Baloo said:
It is definitely finer and the scent is not the same, I find when you sprinkle it there's a cloud of it in the air.
Yes. It also runs out so much faster. And when wet you get little globules of it that at first I thought were leaked SAP.

Talc always worked better to keep my skin dry, but too much would quickly over-dry my skin and lead to eczema, so I had to use it carefully. It's annoying to not have it on sale anymore. I've got a few bottles left that I use sparingly when I need the added drying. For me it's ideal to use on my hips under the unpadded wings to help limit sweating when I'm going to be out working and not able to change for awhile.

Talc-based powders are still available in antifungal products like zeesorb. They have to stay with talc because cornstarch feeds fungus and so switching to cornstarch would ruin their product.

Baloo said:
Yes there is a cloud. I have tried using dollar general and my body does like it. So all I use is jbp.

Back