It Happened! No Diapers While Traveling!

JustMe

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Question: what do you all do when you are *out* of diapers while traveling? The inevitable finally happened to me! Normally, when I travel (which is quite frequently), I send ahead whatever diapering supplies I’ll be using for the trip. I also carry a few with me to bridge me over until I join up with what I forwarded ahead. And for the past decade or so, I have never had an issue! My diapers are always waiting for me! And I even had backup suppliers "at the ready" just in case.

Well … Even though the hotel assured me they received my forwarded package when I twice checked with them before my arrival, when I got there, they couldn’t find my 20 day diaper supply box! Talk about *panic*! I had a backup system for just such an emergency, but it was not pretty or fun! Eventually, the missing box was found and forwarded to my then current location (about 3,000 miles away). And because of being on an extended cruise ship with various ports-of-call, trying to get a new supply sent to one of those ports was not working out. Thus, I relied on my *ultimate* backup diapering system which did work; but it was not without its challenges!

Soooo, my question is what all do any of you all do when you are without your diapers (for whatever reason) while traveling. My solution was the rubber pants that I always keep with me while traveling. And then using hotel/cruise-ship terry towels as the absorbers; this was/is my *ultimate* backup plan which I hope to never use again! And while not fun and after a lot of apologizing for using up quite a few towels in any given period of time, I survived; I even managed to have a great time! I can laugh now, but I was sweating during the earlier parts of this extended travel!

My urologist has suggested traveling with a foley catheter and belly bag system inserted. While not my favorite or first choice, after what I went thru, that is starting to look like a pretty good option.

Comments? Thoughts?

• Wow
  • Hug
Reactions: Constantlydamp, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 5 others
I do not usually use Condom-Catheter and leg bags, but as a back-up system they maybe useful, they do not need a lot of space.
Also the combination with a Foley is not absurd and on my emergency list, at least when i am on Botox and need to do ISC.

I do use catheters and bags on longer car trips already, works fine, because i need to pee to much for every diaper in three hours, so bags are the better option, i carry a 2000ml in a cotton bag with me. It is cheap, i use it with ISC even when i am not on Botox.
I am wearing a diaper as a backup though, perhaps i would do ISC with big bag on a plane either, while on my seat, i can / could do that blindly under a jacket or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Constantlydamp, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
I buy them from a local store if I run short, traveling through mostly Europe and Asia I often have found supermarkets are more accommodating of incontinence needs than say the UK or from what I grasp of the US

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and 1 other person
JustMe said:
Question: what do you all do when you are *out* of diapers while traveling? The inevitable finally happened to me! Normally, when I travel (which is quite frequently), I send ahead whatever diapering supplies I’ll be using for the trip. I also carry a few with me to bridge me over until I join up with what I forwarded ahead. And for the past decade or so, I have never had an issue! My diapers are always waiting for me! And I even had backup suppliers "at the ready" just in case.

Well … Even though the hotel assured me they received my forwarded package when I twice checked with them before my arrival, when I got there, they couldn’t find my 20 day diaper supply box! Talk about *panic*! I had a backup system for just such an emergency, but it was not pretty or fun! Eventually, the missing box was found and forwarded to my then current location (about 3,000 miles away). And because of being on an extended cruise ship with various ports-of-call, trying to get a new supply sent to one of those ports was not working out. Thus, I relied on my *ultimate* backup diapering system which did work; but it was not without its challenges!

Soooo, my question is what all do any of you all do when you are without your diapers (for whatever reason) while traveling. My solution was the rubber pants that I always keep with me while traveling. And then using hotel/cruise-ship terry towels as the absorbers; this was/is my *ultimate* backup plan which I hope to never use again! And while not fun and after a lot of apologizing for using up quite a few towels in any given period of time, I survived; I even managed to have a great time! I can laugh now, but I was sweating during the earlier parts of this extended travel!

My urologist has suggested traveling with a foley catheter and belly bag system inserted. While not my favorite or first choice, after what I went thru, that is starting to look like a pretty good option.

Comments? Thoughts?
I ran into this while living in Sweden. There was no local supply because everything is provided through the government! Plastic pants and folded t-shirts got me through almost a week until supplies could be procured.

• Wow
Reactions: Weelilcorgibun, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 2 others
When ever I'm traveling I always make sure that I have my supplies or at least a place that provide what I need (or ship). I've traveled internationally and at times it could be a challenge but not impossible. Last winter I stayed at my parents vacation home in Naples. When ever I go there I bring at least 5 days worth of diapers and ship another package. Flying can be a little different. Especially flying internationally. But again, not that bad.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Long ago, back in the Stone Age, I was traveling with cloth diapers and plastic pants, And even today, I carry enough for two days as they set into the layers within my roll-on. Have not had any issue with a Hotel or Resort while traveling and yes, I have used their towels.

That said, I travel with disposables now-a-days with cloth as back-up. Seldom used!

So, how did they confirm your package was available when it had never arrived??

Reactions: Diprs2, babywolfboy and PadPhilosopher
Edgewater said:

So, how did they confirm your package was available when it had never arrived??
I called them on two separate occasions "just to be sure" they received the package. UPS said they got it. And both, separate that times that I called, the front desk people said "yes, we have it". So they really "did have it". But they moved things around in their storage area from the time of my last call to the time of my arrival (about a 4 day time span). That's probably why they couldn't find it. And because of late nights, weekend hours, and leaving early on a cruise ship the following morning, I was kinda left hanging.

After they searched, they found out that "yes, they had it". Just not in their "usual" location. But by that time, I was already gone! They did forward it to a destination where I was able to meet up with it; and they profusely apologized. Oh well! 🤷‍♂️

• Wow
  • Hug
Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
׺ŕ

Reactions: Edgewater
ltaluv said:
Which is perhaps the wisest thing I've ever said here. :ROFLMAO:

I generally take enough supplies with me when I travel to cover the expected length of the trip, with a few extra changes just in case. That can be challenging when it's a longer trip, of course, because of the space it requires, but it helps keep things from going sideways if a package goes missing. There's usually the option of getting temporary supplies at a pharmacy, but most of us here know the difference in quality and don't particularly want to be stuck with whatever we can pick up locally. If you're on a cruise like the OP, of course it's a little harder.

Now that I have an ileostomy as well as my ongoing bladder issues, I have to take supplies for that as well. With my ostomy supplies, I usually double the amount I think I'll need, then add a few, since what I use is generally not available from stores.

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, babywolfboy and 1 other person
As someone who used to travel all the time for work, do not send things ahead to a hotel. Instead send your package to be held at a local FedEx or UPS location. Then you can pick them up from there.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, JustMe and 1 other person
Always take some plastic pants and nappy pins then cab use a towel to improvise as a cloth nappy. I’ve survived a few unplanned nights away like this. I usually have a couple of baby Terry squares and 2 pairs of plastic pants in my baggage. A bath towel boosted with soaker from a folded baby nappy is effective and comfortable at night and I wash them out in shower. The bath towels get changed by hotel staff and I take a little bit of handwash to wash and dry the Terry square and plastic pants then hang them to dry in bathroom . I also let hotel or guest house know i ma incontinent in advance and ask for bed protection. After a lifetime of being nappied at night I’m at an age where I am
Not embarrassed about telling others or having a hotel maid see my nappies and pants hanging up

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and JustMe
This is very apposite. I am going on a trip to Canada in September. I can take nappies for the first eight days then we are on a train for two days with no access to our main bags, so I shall have to pack 6 pull-ups (3 per day) and two overnight nappies in my back-pack together with the computer and camera equipment. We then get to Vancouver where I thought I would organise to get some supplies delivered to the hotel. Then we go on a small plane to Vancouver Island with a serious weight restriction. I am paranoid about running out and shall have to explain that my luggage is heavier because of the extra nappies required. I shall also do as Karoq sais and tell them in advance that I need the bed to be protected. I shall also do as Justme says and pack some plastic pants in anticipation of needing the hotel towel!! Good idea. It is all down to the planning with emergency supplies built in.
I also thought I would pack two days of supplies in a vacuum bag as that saves a bit of space.
The final thought is that i am buggered if my incontinence is going to stop me enjoying myself and travel is part of that. I have nappies, both terry (my hand made design) and disposables at both of my homes with extras for a month or more. Planning planning planning!!!
Thank you all for the advice.

I just try and use my diapers to the maximum capacity until I can get more if I run out away from home

Reactions: Constantlydamp
I am in the UK and work away from home during the week and recently forgot to pack a new pack of my Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit adult nappies. I only had five in my flat so less that a couple of days worth. I rang the local hospital and asked to speak to the continence adviser hoping they might be able to supply some. Alas they could not as it is all out to contract but she was really understanding and helpful and found a chemist locally to me that stocked the Tena Slip products. When I have been abroad mostly France and US and have run out I have found that the big supermarkets stock pretty ok adult disposable nappies. In France so do the pharmacies.

Reactions: Pino, Dry247, JustMe and 1 other person
Back