Incontinence and working

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaperlover12341340

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
When applying for a new job and you tell them you are incontinence do you have to provide a doc not or something saying that you are.

Reactions: Diprs2
So I don't know why you should need a document for that.

There may be one exception - but I can only say this for Germany: If you have a severe disability (in the sense of the Severely Disabled Persons Act) then it _may_ make sense to declare it. In fact, you _must_ declare it if the employer explicitly asks for it. However, as I said, this only applies if you have a severe disability that is also recognized as such under the SDPA.

Reactions: Diprs2, lilshelly and Edgewater
In the US, you have your own privacy and gives you the rights to not being disclosed. Obviously if your employer doesn't know, you don't have to discus it. Though in some certain jobs I think you should discus it with your boss.

I've been IC since the beginning. And I haven't discussed my own personal medical IC with my bosses (even though one of them found out that I wear a diaper - and she was fine with it). It's a very personal thing. I don't fly the IC flag. I keep myself on the down-low. I simply keep it discrete.

Reactions: Diprs2, Napincolove, chuck and 3 others
Never had an employer ask, and never been asked to prove a disability. If you're in the US, we have labor laws that protect us from allowing employers to ask for that kind of information

Reactions: Diprs2, DLScottsman, Jorelaxed and 4 others
If you have special requirements for medical needs, then you discuss the requirements, but not the medical specifics. If I needed an injection every day at a specific time, I would let a potential employer know that I need a private area for a few minutes at a specified time to deal with medication. I would not discuss the ailment or the medication, only that it's an injection... if asked.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
AshtonFreecss said:
Never had an employer ask, and never been asked to prove a disability. If you're in the US, we have labor laws that protect us from allowing employers to ask for that kind of information
Hello Ashton,

just to understand - in Germany we have these rights too. Anyway - disabled people are protected by the SPDA. It gives them special rights such as extended protection against dismissal, entitlement to more vacation, and advantages in personnel selection (if applicants with the same qualifications are available, they must be given preference in hiring). For this reason, a company _may_ ask the employee if he or she has an SPDA certificate, because the company may also receive various benefits from the government if it employs a disabled person.

If the company is interested in these benefits, it may ask about them - and if the company asks about them, you must answer correctly - if you don't, it could be grounds for termination. The background here is that the company in this case was not able to obtain the government benefits for the employment

However, a prerequisite for all of this is that the person in question has a disability card that shows a disability of more than 50%. In general, it is a rather complicated procedure to obtain such a certificate, often requiring several expert opinions before one is granted such a certificate - especially if the degree of disability is 50% or more. In the case of "simple" incontinence, this is usually not possible to get a certificate that is 50% or higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: AshtonFreecss and Edgewater
Noted that you elected to not disclose, here on ADISC, that you are Incontinent! As stated above, incontinence, in and of itself will not meet government requirements for disability. In addition, if you are not incontinent and list that you are, that is grounds for termination.

I told my employer, based on my becoming IC as part of a car crash, while driving a company car, as it was the proper thing to do.

I have found that it has always been better to be honest and upfront regarding any special needs I had, that may require consideration for employment.

Reactions: barbiejoanne, Diprs2, mickdl and 2 others
I keep my Bladder and Bowel issues on a need to know basis. I make efforts to hide the fact that I wear diapers in the office and would only disclose it if my efforts failed.

A well managed condition shouldn't need to be disclosed.

Reactions: barbiejoanne, cantwait, Diprs2 and 4 others
If you need a private bathroom at work, the doctors note doesn’t have to say why. HR has to accommodate your medical needs so long as they don’t interfere with your ability to do your job and doesn’t get to second guess your physician.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back