Incon and DL? I’m confused.

For me diapers are necessary to manage urge incontinence stemming from diabetes. I’ve had OAB and bed wetting my whole life. Fortunately, I’ve only had to wear 24/7 for the last few years when the U-IC set in. I just view diapers as my underwear now. If I could fix this condition and ditch diapers, I’d do it and never look back. I’m constantly on the lookout and doing research to better understand and manage my health. Probably won’t fix the incontinence, but might prevent or slow progression.

Do I like my underwear? Sure, they keep me dry, are discreet, and help me live a normal life. For me it’s a matter of having the right tool for the job. Personally, I’ve read too many stories of folks who try to manage incontinence with a prescription med or surgery and have side effects worse than the diapers. I’m managing this health condition without side effects and making the most of life. It’s a no brainer for me.

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, bdale, Deleted member 63979 and 1 other person
charliee said:
My experience is actually different from many other people's one. I have been a DL virtually all my life, and last year I started having OAB problems and, while I can technically still hold it, if I hydrate properly my bladder will drive me crazy and make me require way too many toilet visits during the day (between 8 and 10, depending on if I'm having a good or a bad day). So three months ago I decided I'd better start wearing diapers 24/7 (I'm wearing at night too to help coping with when I wake up having to pee, going in my diaper allows me to go back to sleep faster).
Does my combination of DL and IC still exist? Yes, surprisingly having to wear diapers didn't make me stop liking them. On the other hand, being only 32 my OAB diagnosis was a bit difficult to accept and I wonder if I'll start having leaks and accidents in the future. But given that diapers allow me to keep having a normal life, in the end I don't mind wearing. If only, being already a DL made it easier to accept my diagnosis and my need for diapers.
Do you think being DL has contributed to your OAB.? I think it may have done in my case is it might have caused my bladder to be partly trained to want to go when ever it feels slightly full

Labrador said:
Full disclosure, not incontinent myself, but something puzzles me. I mean no offense, (and don’t think that I will) but if I cause any I apologize in advance.

Some members describe themselves as both diaper lovers and incontinent. No judgment here, but it’s confusing to me. I imagine wearing diapers when incontinent would be a medical necessity, like taking medication or wearing a leg brace. And for many continent DLs, wearing diapers seems to be more of a hobby.
I’ve had a few things that I required for medical reasons when I was sick as a teen, but I never grew to *love* any of them per se, and using them never came close to becoming a hobby.
Could someone in the know explain this to me? Do diapers start as a necessity then become a passion over time? Making the most of the hand you’ve been dealt?
Again, I apologize if I’m being nosey, or taking up space in this forum. And thank you!
DL (diaper lover) is mainly just a name/label/term used for individuals who are okay and prefer to wear diapers for whatever reasons be that physical or mental. Some who is IC which generally refers to an individual who has issues with his or her bladder and/or bowel function in a physical way and needs to wear protection a diaper to manage it. But IC can also be a mental need. either why someone being IC can also enjoy the comfort and security of wearing a diaper. DL in general doesn't mean a person is in love with diapers it is just a person that prefers wearing and is most at easy in one. One can be IC and like wearing diapers. the same as a person who is IC also not liking that he or she has to wear.

• Thinking
Reactions: Wetshisbed, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
For me it's kind of odd, I wore goodnites til I was 15 though I stopped needing them before then and when I did stop wearing them at night it was hard to get used to sleeping without them. I would occasionally wear one anyway even though I didn't need them just so I could get a decent night's sleep, Mom kept a few packs after I stopped needing them because neither of us were convinced I'd stopped for good and I was borderline paranoid without them.

When I got hurt at 17 and had to go back to goodnites and adult diapers it was bittersweet because I knew it was going to be a massive inconvenience yet diapers were familiar and felt safe also in those days I got away with guards or liners during the day and eventually no daytime protection for a few years. However even just night diapers when you are young and dating is a major hurtle to overcome and that caused a significant amount of strife in my life, I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown when I told my now wife that I still had to wear a diaper at night.

Today after many miles on my body and aches and pains from turning wrenches for years and having been in diapers 24/7 for 12 years I've just decided "Who cares?" Diapers are just underwear and I'm not going to be forced out of society because I wear diapers! I've met an astronomical amount of people that think I should be a hermit or embarrassed or at the Dr every day trying to find a solution to something that at this point is at worse a minor inconvenience. Do I love diapers? Not really, They are just a necessity for me and I absolutely refuse to be shunned for needing them. I guess after many years of improvement diapers have gone from tolerable to likeable but I couldn't imagine the best available still being Tranquility ATN and micropore Attends.

• Love
Reactions: Subtlerustle, KnappFlannel, jdinvirginia and 2 others
I’ve been IC as of recent but have always struggled with incontinence. To me diapers were something I had to get comfortable with even when I didn’t want to wear them. Over time I’d grown to accept and eventually enjoy them bc why not, I have to wear them in certain situations. Now I wear them for purpose and to enjoy. It doesn’t consume me but it’s definitely something that I still try to hide.

Reactions: Napincolove and PadPhilosopher
I am IC and DL… it has been a progression over time for me… and Tim even longer to try and understand! I was a bed wetter most of my childhood, and off and on into my teens, which was frustrating and embarrassing, especially with an older brother. It just so happens, one evening when I was getting ready for bed, my diaper rubbed against my penis, and it felt kinda funny. I didn’t know what to make of it, and played around a little and it started feeling really nice. Fast forward several nights of experimenting and playing later, it felt so good I didn’t want to stop until suddenly something happened that kind of hurt but also felt really good at the same time. A few more nights of play, and a few more, what I think were dry orgasms later, and I eventually stopped thinking about it. I’m sure there were a few play nights here and there, but I still vividly remember that week!

Eventually, I mostly dried up, though I still wet the bed several times a year and sometimes during the day… I got forced into diapers on many occasions for a month or so, which I always hated, and fought. One of those nights, after getting spanked for trying to refuse a diaper, I cried myself to sleep, then woke as pee was filling my diaper. I was so mad and I wanted to tear it off, but it also felt warm and my bed wasn’t cold and wet. it kinda felt nice, and I remembered being younger, so I started playing with it and had my first full orgasm! I still hated diapers, I still was desperate to not wear, but I also had this sexual connection to it.

By the time I was a teen, I was mostly dry, but still two or three accidents a year. I didn’t need diapers, but sometimes I would see diaper commercials and get turned on, it scared me. Then i bought a computer modem and discovered I was not alone!

Fast forward to college, diapers were behind me, but one, really stressful semester, I started having accidents, unsure what to do, I bought my first depends, of course by then, anything that touches a guy turns I’m on, of course I jerked of every night until they were gone, finals are over and the bed wetting stopped.

Them I got married, but still thought about diapers once in a while, I bought a pack once and enjoyed a few, but the them away, cause I felt guilty, especially being married… tried to talk to my wife once but she is very vanilla, it turned her straight off.

Next thing I know, I’m 28, and I started wetting the bed out of no where, I did have an accident every year or two, but this time it started happening every couple nights. My wife hated the idea of me wearing a diaper to bed, but hated waking up wet because of me even more. So, after years of not touching diapers I bought some depends. Admittedly, I almost had an O just putting that first one on, and did of course finish myself off before the night was over… but after time of wearing out of bed instead of pleasure, that thrill does certainly leave. At this point, I’d love to not need them anymore, I’ve tried many things over the years, doctors haven’t helped much and while meds make it less frequent it never went away, so here I am, I need diapers, while I hate that I need them, I also somehow like them… I still occasionally get turned on putting one on. On a lucky night, when I’m feeling frisky and she’s not, she’ll even occasionally bring me to o while wearing, no mess ;)

That’s my story, the odd relationship of a frustrating need turning into accidental orgasm.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Wetshisbed, Subtlerustle and 1 other person
What a great thread. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share something. I've always felt like a bit of an odd duck, nice to see there are plenty of other odd ducks out there 🙂.

I was a bedwetter until 9 or 10, but I remember first REALLY wanting to wear diapers (outside of the bedwetting need) beginning when I was 6. I wore Pampers at night until they got too tight around 8, and then into 1st gen PullUps for the remainder.

At 10, my family split apart, things degraded quickly with several years of my life defined by instability, violence, and abuse -- I think that period effectively became a force multiplier for the diaper/regression desires I already had as it was one of the only reliable coping means I had available.

By 16, I was in much better circumstances. That year I was badly injured at a summer job doing construction work (run over). Fallout from those injuries made diapers necessary a long while after -- (anyone else remember the Wear-Ever "Devin" boy's briefs? The 16oz night version was actually pretty trim and great for daytime protection...especially for a deeply embarrassed highschooler trying to wrest back some bladder control).

I had quite a few good years after with very few IC issues, but unfortunately that hasn't remained the case long-term to now...but not remotely a surprise or anything for my sorts of injuries.

I think those two periods combined have gone a long way to temper my identity and understanding for abdl and IC things. I've been able to find a balance where I can feel good about walking in both worlds -- There's an Irish proverb I rather like, "Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" 🙂.

Do I think incontinence is fun or enticing or desirable to experience? No. Full Stop.

But how does that work with abdl desires and things like "little space"? For me, it's about choice. When I choose to engage in AB things, it's a choice to relinquish the power and control of my normal mindset, and the actions that result from that mental shift are secondary. And when I'm done playing, it's a choice to shift things back to adult mode.

But it's always a choice. And I know the incredible worth of having the ability to make that choice, as opposed to my IC issues, where I don't always have a choice about where or when things can happen, and instead have to accept/plan/accommodate/manage instead.

...And frankly, when I'm in AB mode, IC or not doesn't matter because whether by something IC-based or by my own actions, I've already decided what the end result will be 😆 -- temporarily returning some agency (choice) for whether a diaper will be needed or not.

Apologies for the length! I think about the intersection of these two areas often, but haven't written about them much.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ortler and Edgewater
I became IC due to a spinal cord injury when I was 19. That's a rough age to go from being athletic and independent to no longer being able to walk anymore or control my bladder or bowel. As I was learning to manage these issues while in the rehabilitation center for several months, various methods were used to deal with being IC, the most popular being the condom catheter and leg bag combination. However these lead to frequent irritations on my skin. During one of the times that I had an irritation, they were either going to put in an indwelling (Foley) catheter or use a diaper. I think most people would've opted for the Foley catheter, but early in my childhood I randomly discovered how wonderful things could feel down there when I came across a box of Pampers and tried them on out of curiosity. Of course my mom never let me get more diapers after that box ran out, but that experience had permanently ingrained the DL desire in my mind. So when the nurse quietly asked me if it was cool that they put a diaper on me until my skin healed, I was actually pretty excited to say yes. It was probably the first time I felt there was a slight benefit to my disability, because that was a moment that I knew I would never have to worry about being looked at funny for wearing diapers as an adult due to my situation. The fact that I was already DL was something I became thankful for because I later contemplated how much harder it would've been to manage IC issues if I had zero interest in wearing diapers. Since I have no choice other than to deal with IC, I have allowed myself to enjoy some aspects of the loss of control that I have. However, if somebody told me that they could give me my body back as a whole and cure me if everything including IC, I would definitely say yes to that knowing that I could just enjoy it as a separate kink on the side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonnythepony, Subtlerustle, PrincessNozomi and 3 others
I’ve been dealing with incontinence issues for a very long time, meaning I’ve had to wear protection. I chosed in the end to embrace the protection. Why should I hate or dislike something that means I can live a normal life not be chained to the toilet, and do things I like without the fear of wetting myself.
with that said, I very much doubt I would be wearing diapers if I wouldn’t be needing it. After all, it is a hassle with diapers, changing and smells and so fourth

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and greatlake5
charliee said:
My experience is actually different from many other people's one. I have been a DL virtually all my life, and last year I started having OAB problems and, while I can technically still hold it, if I hydrate properly my bladder will drive me crazy and make me require way too many toilet visits during the day (between 8 and 10, depending on if I'm having a good or a bad day). So three months ago I decided I'd better start wearing diapers 24/7 (I'm wearing at night too to help coping with when I wake up having to pee, going in my diaper allows me to go back to sleep faster).
Does my combination of DL and IC still exist? Yes, surprisingly having to wear diapers didn't make me stop liking them. On the other hand, being only 32 my OAB diagnosis was a bit difficult to accept and I wonder if I'll start having leaks and accidents in the future. But given that diapers allow me to keep having a normal life, in the end I don't mind wearing. If only, being already a DL made it easier to accept my diagnosis and my need for diapers.
oh yeah this is the same situation with me except now I am 45 and I’ve been on type two diabetes meds for the past six years or so and those have contributed to my frequency issues and minor accidents. And the fact that I am very, very very visually impaired. It doesn’t help either, makes my mobility a lot slower, so getting to a bathroom when the urge hits isn’t necessarily always possible in time. That’s assuming I’m even in a situation where that’s possible, think about long trips in a car. We’re on the bus. It definitely helps that I’ve been more used to wearing diapers for a long time and that I except this is making my life way easier so now that I’m in a position where I feel as though I need them 24/7 I just consider myself incontinent. Also, it’s a pain in the ass to have to get up two or three times a night to piss when you have a hard time falling back asleep. So diapers are way easier for that to getting sleep is super important and a lot of very visually impaired people tend to have sleeping issues. and on top of all this, some of my meds can cause me to have bowel accidents, not the funnest situation to be in, but it is what it is. so overall I’ve gone from a situation where I liked to wear diapers to a situation where being in diapers 24/7 has made my life a lot easier even though I technically have a lot of control left the stress involved with managing the situation without Diapers would just be too much for my life and just using Diapers makes way more sense for me.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Back