How often do parents swap between diaper sub-types?

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
When I say 'subtypes' I mean the separate lines of a greater product. Pampers is the general, Swaddlers and Cruisers and Baby Dry are subtypes.

I'd assume that, putting aside products with Specific But Temporary Uses (swim diapers are only used at the pool and the beach, overnight diapers are only used at night, training pants are only used during potty training), there are at most 2 swaps per family-a newborn product to a more general one, and then possibly a second one to see if say, a Little Movers is better than a Snug N' Dry or whatever.

But I'm open to theories and discussion. And, of course, data from the actual parents here, or people who can recall their parents swapping, or people who've observed a sibling go through parenthood.

I am not a parent. However, I am very close to my Godson's parents. They do not use Pampers brand because their children leaked out of them and got rashes. Since then they have used Parent's Choice. I don't know why they didn't use Huggies other than my GSs granddaddy is cheap and has a Sam's card. I think Sam's only sells KCWW diapers over here in Georgia.

02/100

KrankyPants said:
I am not a parent. However, I am very close to my Godson's parents. They do not use Pampers brand because their children leaked out of them and got rashes. Since then they have used Parent's Choice. I don't know why they didn't use Huggies other than my GSs granddaddy is cheap and has a Sam's card. I think Sam's only sells KCWW diapers over here in Georgia.

02/100
Those are brands, not sub-types.

Its been a few years since either of my kids were in diapers, but for me at least, it came down to trial and error. Once you found a brand, and then a type within that brand that worked, my wife and I (really me, since I was the one buying the diapers, heh) rarely deviated.

For the most part, what worked best for our kids in terms of fit, comfort (I think they were comfortable in them?), and absorbance were the Huggies Little Movers. A few times I tried using the Snug and Dry on them simply because you get more of them in a case, and hey, kids diapers are expensive, and they go through a lot of them -- but while they fit the same, they didn't perform nearly as well quality wise. Most notably, when fairly wet (not soaked, but more than one wetting or one light wetting), I found them tended to clump up and sag and bunch.

They may be better now, but Little Movers never did that.

For awhile with my oldest we tried using the Huggies Slip on diapers during the day, to try to encourage him to want to potty train. They were a pain in the ass to change, though as absorbent as the Little Movers were.

Best baby diapers are Kirkland (Costco). I have had bad experiences with leaks with Luvs and poor fit with a few other brands. The only issues I ever had with Kirkland for my kids is once in a while a diaper will have a tape or wing tear off when you unfold it, but that is pretty rare. I would never switch to any other brand.

Last edited:
When my kids were in diapers we found a line that we liked (it was one of the higher-end Pampers lines…can’t remember specifics now…it’s been more than 8 years) and stuck with it.

Sometimes you were desperate and the store was out…or you grabbed the wrong package…and we couldn’t wait to be done with the other kind so we could get back to the familiar.

This was in the late 2000s/early 2010s…I remember feeling that Huggies were much poorer made and did a worse job than Pampers…which felt very premium. I don’t remember the cost between the two to be that different.

As a parent that has actually experienced wearing almost every type of baby diaper… It gave me a different perspective when buying for my own kids. To be honest, I purchased cruisers for my kids to wear during the day, and usually whatever Huggies (or Kirkland, as they are the exact same thing as Huggies) were on sale that week for night time. Pampers in general are softer and more comfortable… But Huggies don’t seem to “seep“ moisture when they are really full like pampers seem to, which made them preferable overnight.

Last edited:
Back