How long until they stop physically releasing games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kinda working that direction, they're on the edge of it, Disc media is becoming outdated but there's also a problem with download games that it takes up SO much god damn space where Discs had the space of the game IN them already.

I hope eventually it just goes to Cartridge completely like the Switch did, easy compact storage and they can't get messed up as easily as a disc

Reactions: ShippoFox
AJFan2020 said:
As for free vs. paid distros you are pretty much right today. However, in the early days of Linux (before Debian. Red Hat, and Suse, for example) distros of any kind did not exist yet. And so if the Linux community were much smaller someone could have simply downloaded the software, changed some copyright notices and/or splash screens and tried to claim that they wrote it themselves. And how many people would have known otherwise?
Oh crap, I see what you mean. I've heard of that happening. It's pretty common with art. It's sad because the true purpose of copyrights are to prevent that from happening. 🙀 And I'll admit also that there are things I don't know about the early history of Linux.

AJFan2020 said:
In addition, with the exception of Linux, Git, and Libre Office how many open source programs do people (on average) use today?
I think it's because the open source software isn't forced upon them. They don't know nor care about the difference. But you're probably right that people mostly use closed source software.

AJFan2020 said:
This makes me glad that I use a non-Windows system as my primary machine
Linux or Mac? I'm using Manjaro Linux with i3

AJFan2020 said:
The main disadvantage of open source operating systems, though, is that some applications will never run on them, and alternative applications only sometimes exist.
I think this is a huge problems for some people, but it's been increasingly less of a problem for me. A lot of the Linux programs I've found are better than the Windows options (at least in my opinion). There are a few things I miss though, and I sometimes use them in a Win10 VM. (And I tried Win11 in a VM, but I don't really like it very much.)

Last edited:
ShippoFox said:
Oh crap, I see what you mean. I've heard of that happening. It's pretty common with art. It's sad because the true purpose of copyrights are to prevent that from happening. 🙀 And I'll admit also that there are things I don't know about the early history of Linux.

I think it's because the open source software isn't forced upon them. They don't know nor care about the difference. But you're probably right that people mostly use closed source software.

Linux or Mac? I'm using Manjaro Linux with i3

I think this is a huge problems for some people, but it's been increasingly less of a problem for me. A lot of the Linux programs I've found are better than the Windows options (at least in my opinion). There are a few things I miss though, and I sometimes use them in a Win10 VM. (And I tried Win11 in a VM, but I don't really like it very much.)
I use an Intel Mac that is a bit dated by today’s standards, but it still gets the job done. When I need to run a program that is not compatible with MacOS Catalina I run Windows 10, or the newest 64-bit Ubuntu version in VirtualBox. The one downside of my Mac is that it is not officially compatible with Windows 11. I may be able to force the upgrade, but I probably shouldn’t (at least not yet).

For some of the early history of Linux you can read the book Just for Fun by Linus Torvalds and another author. I have the hardcover version, but there is also an ebook. I think Amazon has it.

Reactions: ShippoFox
No idea, but when that day comes, I'll be purely retro only.

Reactions: chilledguy
BrattyPrincessSophie said:
No idea, but when that day comes, I'll be purely retro only.
Same here. I can't stand digital, I prefer physical. Never ever bought anything digitally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back