How can I overcome the embarrassment of buying diapers at the store

PurplePup89 said:
I'm not really into any aspect of embarrassment or humiliation, but I guess I have a touch of an exhibitionist streak, because if I was ever asked who I was buying diapers for (not that any such situation has or ever will happen), I would have no problem admitting they were for me.

I would never do anything crass or explicit like flaunt my diapers in public or bring up the topic unprompted to strangers - my kink/lifestyle is all my own private affair, but I guess that's what kind of makes it exciting when you end up in a situation to openly admit in so many words that you wear/need diapers and have accidents.
Do you want a medal?

When anyone gives me a look while buying I just tell them they are for my father in law that lives with me. I was the one that got the short straw to buy them this time. 😁

BabyDavidMessiah said:
Do you want a medal?
Well, in reference to the post I was responding to, I'm not one to "enjoy the 'F' out of the embarasment and humiliation", so if there's a medal for modesty, yeah, sure, I guess I'll take it.

Not that I'm shaming anyone who does happen to "enjoy the 'F' out of the embarasment and humiliation", I just think it's weird to implement it in a public retail setting.

Late night sneak into the house completed! OMG, this botanical rain scent is amazing! Interesting thing, reason for buying these weren't purely for changing out of my used undergarments on nights I need them. It's summer and I sleep hot, so I sweat A LOT, just not a fan of that tacky feeling when waking up, and with my cardio workouts, anything to prevent chaffing. Still exciting doing that sneak into the house, we'll see what the rest of the week brings!

Follow CDC guidelines and wear a mask buying diapers has never been easier!

The first time I bought diapers, which was about 16 years ago, it took about 15 minutes for me to summon up the courage to carry them to the till. Yesterday I walked into an ABDL friendly diaper store and bought diapers and a onesie like it was the most normal thing in the world. Which, for me, it now is - but in between those two experiences were years of practice. I’ve also got an exhibitionist streak in me, and normally when I buy diapers I’ll already be diapered and wearing loose-fitting sweatpants; I’m certainly not showing anything, but I like to think the people in the store know what’s going on underneath ;)

tl;dr: keep practicing, it gets easier, shopping for diapers is awesome.

Day 2 for 2! Had to get some documents signed and scanned, happened to be next to a small grocery store, doing some decent business. I'm low key a little bit concerned on just how difficult it is getting my PPU (personal protective undergarments) on Amazon, but I know they carry the brand (Luvs) and in the discrete bag sizes for checkout. Went for one, they only had two, so went to the scanner scanned both packs and bagged them. Lady that was working the self checkouts took my basket and we said hello, then the freaking damn card reader stuck up on my transaction, and she helped. Totally at ease the entire time. I think right now is a fantastic opportunity to practice, with facemasks you don't really worry about being noticed, and nowadays people are in the stores to get in and get out, little if any eye contact, and no one is really looking at you cart/basket. Still have my fingers crossed that amazon gets the "month" supply of 124 back in stock though! Doing a case of diapers in the store, that might be a stretch up from the bags, even now, but a locker with a gift box, piece of cake!

Last edited:
I completely agree with the comments that it gets easier with time. I remember being super nervous when I left home and went away for university and needed to purchase my own diapers. Took me forever to actually find the nerve and make my way over to the cashier! I used to feel compelled to make up a story that the diapers were for someone else. But as I got older, I have become slightly more comfortable with things. Not that it happens often by any means, but now if asked, I just state very matter-of-fact that the diapers are for me. Obviously, ordering online is the easiest way, if you are able to. Purchasing diapers in the supermarket can still be a bit stressful at times. Even now after all these years, I don't know why, but I still get a little bit humiliated if I have to purchase my diapers at this store. I know I shouldn't feel that way and need to learn to get over it, but something in the back of my mind always makes me wonder what people think. When possible, I try to shop for my diapers at an ABDL-friendly healthcare store. (Though I realize, depending where you live, these are not always an option unfortunately.) For me, I try to talk myself into just realizing it is simply a business transaction. I am an adult customer purchasing a product. That's it!

I always ask for a separate receipt and buy something else too 😂

PurplePup89 said:
I'm not really into any aspect of embarrassment or humiliation, but I guess I have a touch of an exhibitionist streak, because if I was ever asked who I was buying diapers for (not that any such situation has or ever will happen), I would have no problem admitting they were for me.

I would never do anything crass or explicit like flaunt my diapers in public or bring up the topic unprompted to strangers - my kink/lifestyle is all my own private affair, but I guess that's what kind of makes it exciting when you end up in a situation to openly admit in so many words that you wear/need diapers and have accidents.

I’m the same, they ask what the size of the person wearing is and I jus say my size 😂 gets a funny look occasionally haha

For me, the key is to just be as normal as I can. As others have said, no one really cares about what you are buying. Heck, I honesty can’t really tell you a whole lot of specifics of things I’ve seen in other people’s carts, hands, baskets, etc. so chances are, no cares what you have! If you start acting funny, then people will notice. Also, the more you do it, the less you’ll care about it. The only diapers I buy at the store are Goodnites the rest I get online, so I guess I could pass it off as getting them for my brother or someone else, but I really don’t care. I’ve only ever bought adult diapers at the store once, and while I was anxious the whole time, no one cared!

Reactions: BabyDavidMessiah
PurplePup89 said:
It's simply a matter of reframing. Admittedly, the first few times, it's going to be embarrassing no matter what, but that's only because we're viewing the situation from our own biased perspective: WE know the diapers are for us and WE know what we'll be using the diapers for and that's how WE are inevitably seeing the transaction. It takes a little while until we can finally realize that not only do THEY not know the diapers are for us and THEY don't know what we'll be using the diapers for, they honestly don't care.

One of my first jobs was working as a cashier at Target and that really helped me when it came to buying in public. I'd scan thousands of items per day, and adult diapers were regularly one of them. Of course *I* noticed it because that's what I'm into, but if I wasn't into it, I'd have paid it no mind whatsoever. Let's say for example that somebody had an enema fetish - gross (to me), I know, but maybe they have the same feelings of embarrassment having to buy them at the store. If you were to ask me if I sold any enemas and to whom I sold them, I couldn't answer because I'm sure I did, but as I don't ever think about enemas, it never stuck out to me as I sold them. It's the same thing with diapers because the general public doesn't think about them like we do. It's just one of thousands of products they sell each day: your particular pack of diapers won't be their first and it won't be their last.

I've bought so many diapers at the store over the years - including trips where I bought only a pack of diapers - and have never had any sort of weird look or comment, mostly because if they make fun of you for any purchase (ESPECIALLY sensitive healthcare items), they would be fired. I guarantee the only thing going through their minds as they check you out is just wondering how long it is until their lunch break. Once you look at the situation from their perspective, it gets so much easier to buy in public.
When you would check out people buying them, were there ever anybody that you caught onto that was into them like yourself?

osirisboi15 said:
When you would check out people buying them, were there ever anybody that you caught onto that was into them like yourself?
Funny enough, I do remember just one guy: younger guy, probably a few years older than me, and all he bought was a pack of Depend Adjustables. He seemed nervous, didn't really say much and kept shifting his gaze around without making eye contact with me. He was so distracted that after I rang it up and bagged it, he was still kind of averting his gaze and I had to tell him after a pause that he was good to go and he quickly took his bag and exited. Of course, that could just be because he was buying diapers, regardless of what or who they were for. He could have very well been running an errand for someone, I don't know.

I honestly can't draw a conclusion, I only noticed and remembered that transaction because I'm obviously not only into diapers but because my very first diaper purchase was a pack of Depend Adjustables from that same Target. It definitely left an impression on me, but, of course, if I wasn't AB/DL, I would've forgotten it the same as I've forgotten hundreds of other transactions.

Every other time I checked them out (which wasn't frequent but occasional), they were part of a fuller shopping cart and always bought by "regular" people, undoubtedly for non-recreational use. I never had any reason to suspect anything.

I buy mostly online in bulk, but when I was younger I found it really embarrassing buying nappies/pull ups at a shop. Over the years I came to understand, people don’t really care. As one person mentioned, if the cashier has an interest in nappies they may take more notice. One rule of thumb that helped me was never to buy in my local town, which is not to big, and a lot of people know each other, it’s really easy to bump into someone you know with a pack of nappies/pull ups in your hand, and they May wonder who still wears nappies in that house. Never had an issue in the rest of my county.

PurplePup89 said:
It's simply a matter of reframing. Admittedly, the first few times, it's going to be embarrassing no matter what, but that's only because we're viewing the situation from our own biased perspective: WE know the diapers are for us and WE know what we'll be using the diapers for and that's how WE are inevitably seeing the transaction. It takes a little while until we can finally realize that not only do THEY not know the diapers are for us and THEY don't know what we'll be using the diapers for, they honestly don't care.

One of my first jobs was working as a cashier at Target and that really helped me when it came to buying in public. I'd scan thousands of items per day, and adult diapers were regularly one of them. Of course *I* noticed it because that's what I'm into, but if I wasn't into it, I'd have paid it no mind whatsoever. Let's say for example that somebody had an enema fetish - gross (to me), I know, but maybe they have the same feelings of embarrassment having to buy them at the store. If you were to ask me if I sold any enemas and to whom I sold them, I couldn't answer because I'm sure I did, but as I don't ever think about enemas, it never stuck out to me as I sold them. It's the same thing with diapers because the general public doesn't think about them like we do. It's just one of thousands of products they sell each day: your particular pack of diapers won't be their first and it won't be their last.

I've bought so many diapers at the store over the years - including trips where I bought only a pack of diapers - and have never had any sort of weird look or comment, mostly because if they make fun of you for any purchase (ESPECIALLY sensitive healthcare items), they would be fired. I guarantee the only thing going through their minds as they check you out is just wondering how long it is until their lunch break. Once you look at the situation from their perspective, it gets so much easier to buy in public.

So very true , i have not been a cashier before but i would think they wouldn't care about what people buys , the closest i got was when i was buying it at the store the cashier was about my age and probably wondering who the diapers are for or is it for me etc , as i can tell from the looks she was giving but she never asked or said anything and maintain professional .

I was at the local drug store standing in line with my depend real fits and attends diapers. The clerk was shacking his face turned red.
I had to walk him through it scan the bags hit tottle, tack the money. another clerk came to his register to ring up people, and a manager shod up to apologize. I sed it no big deal there just diapers. He gave me a 25.00 gift card.

bxtchPlease said:
Every time I think about buying diapers at the store i feel like they Are gonna make fun of me I have social anxiety and cant buy em can you guys please give me tips on it

Buy them from Amazon and have them delivered to a locker.

Sgdlboy said:
So very true , i have not been a cashier before but i would think they wouldn't care about what people buys , the closest i got was when i was buying it at the store the cashier was about my age and probably wondering who the diapers are for or is it for me etc , as i can tell from the looks she was giving but she never asked or said anything and maintain professional .

I worked as a cashier as recently as last year, I remember one time when I sold some Tena pants to a lady who came to my checkout with someone who was presumably her carer. I was asked if they could be returned if they were the wrong size. I was sightly afraid of coming across as too knowledgeable as I wore them myself. Unfortunately I had to say no as we wouldn't of been able to resell them had they been opened.

Screwball said:
Every time I think about buying diapers at the store i feel like they Are gonna make fun of me I have social anxiety and cant buy em can you guys please give me tips on it
I just bought my first pack of diapers today and it was so much easier than I thought a worker asked who were they for I told them they were for me they recommended some and I was greeted with a friendly smile when checking out

Reactions: TigerDL, AJFan2020 and BobbiSueEllen
Back