Feeling messed up

jasonm03

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I’m having a hard time putting this into words so I’ll try my best I’m almost 1 year 24/7 night time accidents started in April shortly after receiving my shots in my back from pain management later on I would find out that they damaged my S1 nerved severely worse than neurologist thought August 15 saw my general practitioner dr night time accidents are getting worse and daytime accidents are starting. I go through all the testing and get diagnosed with OAB with incontinence neurology is notified and mri is performed some damage to my S1 nerve is noticed last month went in for extended mri and nerve damage is worse than it was thought to be. I hate with a passion that I’m incontinent and that I have to wear a diaper 24/7. I have come to accept this condition but I don’t have to like it. The VA sent me a nice letter saying my diapers are no longer going to be paid for even though they are responsible for it. This past month I’ve been paying for all of my diapers and started shopping around and have found some bargains out there on good diapers. DAV lawyer told me to save all my receipts going after va to pay for the diapers and start paying again. I’m struggling a bit ( not to pay for the diapers) emotionally with everything that is going on

I'm sorry you are having trouble both medically and with the VA. The only advice I have is to take it one step at a time and try to find the bright spots along the way (literally as maybe taking a trip to a park or a favorite museum).

Reactions: Carnifex
It sounds like this is difficult for you in more than one way, jasonm03. I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to receive that letter from the VA.

But I am glad you've found a place here in the support forums where you can talk about it. You aren't defined by what your body does or doesn't do. A lot of us have had to face that. The emotional part does get better with time. Hang in there. You can do this.

Last edited:
Incontinence should not define you. It is a hard thing to learn to live with. You are not alone though. NorthShore Care is a great company that can provide products that will help you for a reasonable price, among others.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
What you are going thru just boils my blood. I get care at the VA. I recommend you write letters to your congressman, representative, head of the VA congressional committee. The thought of these morons trying to screw you out of something you need for their screw up is unforgivable. Don’t waste time going through their local internal cover up offices just builds up more excuses for them. The “medical industry” admits they are responsible for aprox. 1 million deaths a year due to their own oversights and mistakes. Many VA hospitals are inspected by JCHA - Joint Commission for Hospital Accreditation. They hold a LOT of power. I only threatened to call them once and the entire hospital changed overnight!

Another point... I haven’t looked up where you reside or if the info is there. You may consider moving away from that particular VA region. You could move to a lesser populated region where people are a bit more personal and compassionate. Good luck my friend. If you don’t fight for yourself, who will?

Reactions: jasonm03 and Seasonedcitizen
I'm so sorry for what you are going though! We deliver with so many issues over the years with the VA for my late father. I know how insane it can be! Hang in there! I'll be praying for you!

Back