Feeling conflicted about wearing diapers for nocturia

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamarisk

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
For a while I was wearing diapers to bed because my “anti-androgen” (read diuretic) was causing me to get up to pee ~3-5x a night. I eventually was able to switch to a different medication and now I’m back to my baseline of getting up ~1-2x a night. Wearing at night really improved my sleep quality and now that I’ve stopped I miss waking up well rested. I want to start wearing again. However, I feel really conflicted about it because I don’t feel like improving my sleep is a good enough reason to do so. I guess part of this stems from feeling like doing this is being lazy, and from fearing that being a DL has “tainted” my logic somehow.

Is mild nocturnal polyuria a valid reason to wear? Does anyone else have any similar experiences?

I should probably mention that I wet the bed every night until ~11ish, with decreasing frequency until my early twenties when it became an issue only when sick. So I am familiar with the hassle wearing daily entails.

• Thinking
Reactions: Deleted member 73722, Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
So excuse me - but there I just do not quite come along... You want from us the justification that you pee at night in the diaper instead of going to the toilet?

I think - be glad that you manage so. If you have fun to wear diapers at night or sleep better with it then do it - but then please don't look here for an excuse for your fun.

Reactions: NotTheAverageMan, cloakplt, Diprs2 and 2 others
According to your profile, you are a diaper lover, so I guess you are wearing diapers from time to time anyway.
I don't get the point why wearing at night for the intended purpose would be less of a reason than wearing just for fun.

Go ahead. From one DL to another, I approve of you wearing diapers for whatever reason you deem appropriate, as long as it does not disturb others.

Reactions: Jorelaxed and Diprs2
Even your are not "incontinent" i will try to answer your question seriously.

Diapers for nocturia are not recommended anywhere. There are a lot of "conservative methods" to lower down the numbers or handle it, diapers are not part of them. From my personal view: I need to get up at night 1-3 times, i am incontinent (NDO), but i do not wear at night when not absolutely necessary.
I am not in the position to allow or forbid you anything you like to do, it is your personal choice.

Taking a medicament that lowers your control or gets you up more often at night can be a reason to wear - FOR YOU, especially when the needed equipment is already in your possession. Do what suits you.

Last edited:
Reactions: CptKirk, mirrored22 and Diprs2
I think there's no reason as to why you shouldn't wear if it improves the quality of your sleep.

You might be a DL who has now found a practical reason for wearing at times, or a person who sometimes wears diapers for practicality and who also happens to be a DL... What I'm trying to say is that the two sides are not necessarily intertwined, nor you should necessarily feel as if they are.

Given you're familiar with the practical issues arising from daily wearing and usage, you might wonder whether the tradeoff between improved sleep and additional time and effort dedicated to disposal and cleanup is positive or not.

If you really can't make your mind up you might try for a few days, and see how it goes.

Is your perspective tainted because of your personal inclinations? Perhaps so, just as mine might be - but still, the possibility that night time wearing might prove helpful in your situation is objectively plausible, and there's no significant reason you shouldn't give it a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jorelaxed and Diprs2
tamarisk said:
For a while I was wearing diapers to bed because my “anti-androgen” (read diuretic) was causing me to get up to pee ~3-5x a night. I eventually was able to switch to a different medication and now I’m back to my baseline of getting up ~1-2x a night.
Have you talked with a urologist about how frequently you're having to get up at night to pee? More than once a night isn't terribly unusual, but it does merit some investigation to make sure there's nothing more serious going on.

Reactions: Pino and Diprs2
If you’re comfortable with wearing diapers then I think wearing so you don’t have to get up to pee at night is a perfectly valid reason to wear. To be honest I think almost every reason for somebody wanting to wear a diaper is valid, as long as it is not harming anybody else. You don’t have to justify why you’re wearing to anybody else or even to yourself, if you want to wear at night then wear at night, the whys really shouldn’t matter.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
tamarisk said:
For a while I was wearing diapers to bed because my “anti-androgen” (read diuretic) was causing me to get up to pee ~3-5x a night. I eventually was able to switch to a different medication and now I’m back to my baseline of getting up ~1-2x a night. Wearing at night really improved my sleep quality and now that I’ve stopped I miss waking up well rested. I want to start wearing again. However, I feel really conflicted about it because I don’t feel like improving my sleep is a good enough reason to do so. I guess part of this stems from feeling like doing this is being lazy, and from fearing that being a DL has “tainted” my logic somehow.

Is mild nocturnal polyuria a valid reason to wear? Does anyone else have any similar experiences?

I should probably mention that I wet the bed every night until ~11ish, with decreasing frequency until my early twenties when it became an issue only when sick. So I am familiar with the hassle wearing daily entails.
Like you, I am a DL and developed OAB/Urge incon a couple of years ago. Lived with getting up at night 3-4 times a night until I got diagnosed with the oab/urge incon last year. At that point, I decided that proper rest at night would be most beneficial and I then started wearing disposables to bed and using them for their intended purpose instead of getting up multiple times and feeling groggy the next day. This was my decision after trying a couple different drugs and having bad side effects. I have, at times, kind of questioned my decision to wear and use my diaper at night, but, the fact is that it has made a huge difference in the amount of rest I have been getting. Everyone needs a good night's rest. Your reasoning for deciding to wear at night might be clouded by your DL tendencies, however, you stated you were feeling much more rested while you were wearing at night. I guess you have to decide whether the rest outweighs the feeling of being lazy.

Reactions: cloakplt, Eclectic, NappiedTruckDriver and 1 other person
I gotta say that using your diaper at the cabin to avoid getting out of your sleeping bag and making the trip in the dark to the outhouse is the greatest thing. It allows you to roll over and go back to sleep in the warm comfort of your sleeping bag.

Reactions: eastcoastdl, Diprs2 and cloakplt
If you find they actually help, definitely do it. I had similar issues with nocturia, getting up 3-4 times a night. I tried wearing diapers to bed and just using them, but I found I was unable to actually go when I needed to and still had to get up and sometimes even use the toilet. If you find they don't help, definitely pursue it further with your doctors to see if they can help find a solution. You don't need permission to do the things that make you sleep better or feel more comfortable, but if you feel you need a "valid" use case, I would say your comfort and sleep quality counts as a valid one.

Reactions: plasticpants1 and Diprs2
Take your anti-androgen when you get up in the morning, you won't be getting up if you do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
tamarisk said:

In 2004 I went from being amongst the strongest men on Earth, in the top 1% without a doubt....owned the #1 rated garage that won "best garage in the area" 18x in a row (from a local newspaper readers' poll), was the head coach for a football team, a HS wrestling coach as well as the strength and conditioning coach which meant I worked with these kids year round, at least the kids who were serious. I had a fantastic family and extended family. My sons were 2 & 5 and in an instant it all came to an instantaneous end. I am a veteran and WAY BACK in 1990 I was given well over a dozen inoculations (The best I can learn is that 1 out of every "XXX" soldiers received whatever experimental drugs they were working on) and within 36 hours I collapsed. I don't remember collapsing, but I do remember medics arriving and trying to get me into their Humvee. I also remember the medics going crazy looking for a 2nd thermometer as I PEGGED the 1st one. No one needed to say a word when they got another as the instant the one medic removed it from my mouth, the look on his face told me everything I needed to know!

I wound up hospitalized for 7-10 days. I don't know for certain as I was literally delirious for a good chunk of the time as I had what's known as a "Quotidian Fever" which is a fever that spikes 2x/day. Mine was spiking into the 105+ area which resulted in me being packed in ice, stuffed in front of a massive AC duct outlet etc.....the entire time I was in HORRENDOUS PAIN, shaking violently (I term this "Jackhammer chills") which radically amplifies the pain you're experiencing. Think they gave a shit about me being in pain? They were fucking BRUTAL! I was treated like a side of beef! The absolute BEST is when my platoon sgt INSISTED I file for and protect a copy of my medical records the INSTANT I got back to my unit. I did. I learned within 48 hours that my records were "magically" LOST!!! THIS alone cost me almost 30 years of benefits!

Anyway, to get to my point. By Aug/Sept of 2004 I had been hiding the fact that I was peeing all over myself, uncontrollably, unknowingly. I was ashamed, embarrassed, you name it. I lied my ass off, claimed to have spilled my drink (only works the first 250 times LOL...I'm kidding of course, only works 1-2x!) before my nurse, who I knew for a very long time...knew her parents and her kids as she was a long time customer of mine and here I have to admit to someone I've known for a long time that yes, even though I'm literally HUGE I'm peeing myself uncontrollably. THAT WAS DIFFICULT! Enter diapers, and even though all of my Dr's knew, every nurse knew, my entire family and all of my close friends KNEW yet the instant someone would knock on my door to come in I'd instantly pull sheets over me as I was wearing a diaper!

It took me a year of being a total hermit and missing out on EVERYTHING life has to offer before I came to the decision point when I emphatically stated to myself that I am NEVER going to allow anyone or anything to run my life! Certainly not something as miniscule in importance as a diaper!

Weird part, I was a DL since before I was fully potty trained! I have LOVED sleeping in a "loaded Pamper" since I was not yet 2 years old! Well, the "THRILL" and the "EXHILARATION" I used to get when putting on a diaper is long gone. NEEDING to wear SUCKS, but it is not the end of the world. I personally know/knew people who would trade places with me in a heartbeat who are FAR worse off!

The point of what I've written is to LIVE YOUR LIFE! IF wearing a diaper allows you to get a superior nights' sleep, WEAR A DIAPER!

YOU DO YOU!!! NO ONE else can EVER know with 100% certainty, what you're going through, what you're dealing with and more importantly, they have their own problems and issues to deal with. My fear over wearing diapers has NEVER come to pass. I was convinced that (somehow) EVERYONE would INSTANTLY KNOW I was wearing a diaper! NEVER happened. I coached football for years and years after my issues began. I admit, I used to be able to get away without wearing in the summer, that slowly went away. When coaching I never wore a full blown diaper, except for when I was in a wheelchair. I'd wear a pad which save for a couple of rare occasions, served me well. The few times it wasn't enough and leaked, it was dark out and no one else would had been able to tell.

You don't have ANY of those worries. The only person who you have to worry about is YOU. I would continue to work with your Dr's and I'd bring this issue up to them. Whether or not you tell them you've had to result to wearing diapers is 100% up to you. I also learned in my 20 years of rarely going much more than a week NOT seeing a Dr that you're best off telling them the ENTIRE TRUTH. While I honestly don't see the harm in keeping that tidbit of knowledge to yourself, that's me. I guarantee a Dr. or other medical professional would instantly tell you that you HAVE TO TELL THEM EVERYTHING. Like I said...YOU DO YOU!

I wish you the best!

CptKirk

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Subtlerustle and Teddy02
When I was a toddler and wetting the bed every night I hated it. I never got a good night’s sleep and at ten years old I asked my mother for nappies. I was turned down flat. I did not do well at school and credit some of that to never getting a good nights’ sleep. I am dyslexic, which was unknown in the 1950s, but I am sure that if I had slept better my early life would have been better.
Put on a nappy/diaper and get a good nights’ sleep. Read up about what sleep deprivation does to you And you will be convinced.

Reactions: Diprs2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back