Family members discussing your incontinence with other people

Status
Not open for further replies.

napy534

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Did anyone else get this growing up? My mum would chat non-chalantly about my nappies with her friends and neighbours a lot more often than I'd like and I always hated standing there while being discussed and always with at least one sympathetic "awww" in my direction during the conversation. I don't think I cared until I was like 8+ but then it would start to bother me.
My sister also told her friends who would come over and make fun of me for stuff like hearing my nappy when I walk, although my mum caught them once and gave them all a stern talking to after which I think they made fun of me behind my back, lots of whispering and giggling when I went past them.
I can also remember my problems being discussed by whole tables of family members at family gatherings, they all already knew but I still didn't like hearing everyone talk about it.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: tam1623, DiaperDiva, Sheepies and 3 others
WOW NapY!! That is awful!!!! I am sooooo sorry you went through that. I didn't have "THAT" issue with my mom. I peed my pants in private and mom never caught it (or didn't mind washing my damp clothes).

ALL.THE.TIME. Up until my dad put a stop to it about the time i started puberty, i was changed on the living room floor with my baby brother who was 10 years younger

jpm626 said:
ALL.THE.TIME. Up until my dad put a stop to it about the time i started puberty, i was changed on the living room floor with my baby brother who was 10 years younger
Lol I can relate to this, I was always checked and changed in front of whoever happened to be around at the time.

napy534 said:
Did anyone else get this growing up? My mum would chat non-chalantly about my nappies with her friends and neighbours a lot more often than I'd like and I always hated standing there while being discussed and always with at least one sympathetic "awww" in my direction during the conversation. I don't think I cared until I was like 8+ but then it would start to bother me.
My sister also told her friends who would come over and make fun of me for stuff like hearing my nappy when I walk, although my mum caught them once and gave them all a stern talking to after which I think they made fun of me behind my back, lots of whispering and giggling when I went past them.
I can also remember my problems being discussed by whole tables of family members at family gatherings, they all already knew but I still didn't like hearing everyone talk about it.
Those closest to us often can hurt us the most with their unthinking comments to us and others. It’s too bad that it takes most of us until old age before we quit caring so much about what others think, or say, if we ever manage come to that point. Peer pressure can be devastating to a child, or adolescent, even many adults, and our youth would’ve been so much easier and more enjoyable if we could’ve learned not to give too much credence and value to what others think about us. This is one of the compensating factors that I’m enjoying in my old age.

• Love
Reactions: ClaudTheBear and Happy2BeInNappies2
Once I overheard my mother telling one of her neighbor friends about my bedwetting. (fortunately she was older and didn't have any kids my age) I was about 13. And this lady acted shocked as hell. "WHAT?! You mean he still....! At HIS AGE! "I can't believe it! And I had to come down stairs a few mins later and say "hello" and have breakfast knowing that she knew and pretending I didn't hear it.

• Wow
Reactions: dogboy
It was never any secret. My mother talked about my bedwetting to anyone and everyone. My sister delighted in telling all her mates I still wet the bed.

My family didn't really talk about my diapers. When I was 6 or 7 and was still in diapers, I was changed like it was just something that was normal. My mom never made a big deal. Probably because my siblings were bedwetters too. It was just something that I never got the hang of potty training. There were some whispering from aunts, grandmothers and cousins. But they were careful not to make obvious comments. When I got older there were some discussions about I was still in diapers but it was mostly in sympathetic comments. My mom, who was a strong woman, was always very protective for all of us, specifically me.

Reactions: thedlguy, Rezzu, dogboy and 1 other person
When I was little my mom used to make snide passive aggressive comments about my diapers and bed wetting sometimes which was a little annoying even as a kid, I finally said something like do you really think I asked for this or wanted to have to wear diapers at night? I don't have much choice! It slowed down after that but came to an abrupt halt when she made a comment about me having to wear one during church service when I was six. My great grandmother (mom's grandmother) heard this comment and let mom have it with both barrels, mom apologized after that and never made another comment about it ever again until after I didn't need them anymore she apologized again for the way she handled it then.

The only other time anyone ever said anything was when I was with my 3 first cousins and the cousin I'm closest with in age was giving me all sorts of grief about wetting the bed and wearing goodnites, I think we were 11 or 12 at the time and it was someone's birthday because there were a lot of people at their house and we were all in the back yard. So she kept giving me grief about it and my older cousin was like you wear them too and so do I, all of us do so why are you being a butt about it? She said because he told on me for letting the puppies out of the pen ( it's true I did tell, I didn't want the heat for that) so she turns around to give me grief again and my older cousin pantsd her right in front of everyone and guess what she was wearing... A goodnite! Everyone saw and looked shocked and embarrassed and her mom/my aunt was like why are you in your night diaper at 3 o'clock in the afternoon? After that my aunt found out she'd been giving me the business and made her stay in just the goodnite and shirt for the rest of the afternoon. I think that is the only time we ever got one another into trouble, we were always pretty close as kids.

My siblings (all younger) used to tease me about my wetting the bed well into my teens.

I don't remember my family discussing my IC with other people. It was a family issue and was felt very personal. Obviously my mom and a few other family members would talk to teachers and medical workers but it was kept private. There were a few aunts or cousins but like I said, it wasn't really talked about out loud. And I'm thankful for that. Having to wear diapers were tough enough.

Reactions: luminescent81
During the time I was wetting the bed when I was younger, I don't remember ever overhearing any conversation between my parents and someone else. That includes my sister and other relatives. The only relative that knew was my grandmother but that was when I had to stay overnight at her house while I was still wetting the bed.

I should note that some of my teachers (including the nuns) talked with my mom. At the time I heard what they were discussing about my diapers in front of others. I was just a kid and didn't get what was happening except I knew it was about me being diapered. At that point I had been diapered since the beginning. For me it was how I lived. So hearing them talk about my diapers didn't bother me. Today I'm a little more discreet about what's talked about this. In fact, even know I'm full IC, I don't like hearing others talk in front of me.

Understand. My mom was a gossip. Sadly she liked to use my health issues to get sympathy even when I got older and was married. Sadly I cut my parents out of my life when it came to my health. I would not even tell them I was in the hospital. Once I had a family member call me in tears almost asking if I was doing better and she was told I might need a kidney. I had a kidney stone and my kidneys other than some infections and stones have always worked fine. I was so mad I did not talk to her for a year. For about 5 years I worked with my dad and I had to have him lie to her when I was ill because I did not want the world to know. I am open about my health on here but I am not one to tell everyone my problems. Especially with my plumbing. She would just hammer call her friends one after another and very phone call I got a little worse. I loved my mom and she is gone now but I don't think she ever knew the harm she caused me. My dad did catch on and would not tell her the details but she would get pissed when she found out a month later I had been in the hospital and did not let her know.

jdlake131 said:
My family didn't really talk about my diapers. When I was 6 or 7 and was still in diapers, I was changed like it was just something that was normal. My mom never made a big deal. Probably because my siblings were bedwetters too. It was just something that I never got the hang of potty training. There were some whispering from aunts, grandmothers and cousins. But they were careful not to make obvious comments. When I got older there were some discussions about I was still in diapers but it was mostly in sympathetic comments. My mom, who was a strong woman, was always very protective for all of us, specifically me.
I remember my Aunt and Uncle discussing my bedwetting with my Mother as if I wasn't in the room.

Reactions: Diaperman95
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back