Elastics give out on plastic pants

Carruthers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Several years ago I purchased a few pair of Suprima plastic pants. They have worked well until this year when the elastic in the waist seemed stretched out and the pants no longer fit. I put this down to normal wear and did not think of it again until I found a pair that was from the same shipment in an unopened package. The waist elastic stretched out too far when I took them out and examined them, but the leg elastic works fine. Has anyone else had this issue with plastic pants elastic?

Reactions: Angelapinks
you might be getting too small of a size you might be stretching them out too far when you wear them cuz I noticed that too with my large ones they're not stretching back no more my other extra large ones are still good and I've had them both for a year And another Factor could be if the waistband has a rubber piece on the inside of it it could be getting dried out and breaking on the inside of the waistband that's why you're never supposed to put plastic pants in the dryer so if you live in a hot dry climate make sure you store them in a place with a little bit of humidity

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
Storing plastic pants and even disposable diapers in area of high-heat can cause failures.
Elastic can fail during manufacturing and is a strong reason to always inspect what you buy when it arrives.
With the vast majority of plastic plans made in China, you have to check!
Buyer Beware!

Reactions: Angelapinks
Carruthers said:
Several years ago I purchased a few pair of Suprima plastic pants. They have worked well until this year when the elastic in the waist seemed stretched out and the pants no longer fit. I put this down to normal wear and did not think of it again until I found a pair that was from the same shipment in an unopened package. The waist elastic stretched out too far when I took them out and examined them, but the leg elastic works fine. Has anyone else had this issue with plastic pants elastic?
Yes I have had that happen with various brands of plastic pants but not my Suprimas which are about 10 years old now. I guess it depends n how you wash and dry them and make sure the elastics dry if possible.

yes I have several pairs of plastic pants. I have found they do not like heat and in the washing machine cold wash is best. I also have some rubber pants I got on ebay which seem to with stand anything. I think as with any thing in life, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: Deleted member 39193, Angelapinks and Edgewater
ben0510 said:
yes I have several pairs of plastic pants. I have found they do not like heat and in the washing machine cold wash is best. I also have some rubber pants I got on ebay which seem to with stand anything. I think as with any thing in life, you get what you pay for.
Oh ben I really love your dolly, she does have a name doesn't she.

Carruthers said:
The rubber degrades after time and the corrosive nature of urine is also a factor😞

Reactions: wearforsafety, Napincolove, dogboy and 2 others
I have a vintage pair of plastic pants from the 80s and have a nice crinkle and shine to them. The elastic did indeed fall apart in spots . So I trimmed all the elastics off and sewed new elastics for the waistband and legs. They are like a new pair again. I wish I could use a sewing machine , it took so long to hand sew the elastics.

• Wow
Reactions: wearforsafety, Angelapinks and Edgewater
Things degrade over time. Some of plastic pants I was able to fix them, changing elastic on them ( mostly with snap on versions).
With time rubber, pvc degrade that fixing is not possible anymore.
Life of product can be extended with proper care( cold handwash), drying them inside out of reach of the sun and smaller repair ( if possible).

Reactions: Angelapinks and Edgewater
My PUL pants stretch both elastics and the material PUL itself which just means that my day time covers eventually become my nightime covers as they get "tucked" inside my nightime Nappies so no worries about anything stretching.

Beside the plastic pants get old and brittle along with the elastic wear out !
I have switch to Pul diapers covers like Gray Active Wear ! I was happy to see that they do last a good long time !

Reactions: Angelapinks, Edgewater and CptKirk
This morning I went through my supply of plastic pants and found one more Suprima that had not been out of its package. The elastic was not elastic any more😞😞. It seems that time is the worst enemy of stretch for elastic in Suprima. There was still good stretch in the cheaper, uncovered elastics of the other plastic pants I had stored. Lesson learned: I will keep only what I am using.

• Sad
Back