Drinking water before bed

UnderTheRadar said:
So something that I have noticed is that I feel guilty if I have a drink of water because I'm thirsty before I go to bed... But I'm thirsty so I want to drink a water... Identify wake up at some point in the night, especially if I've already wet my diaper, I feel really guilty if I'm thirsty and need to get a drink in the middle of the night...

I'm not drinking a bunch of water just enough to not have that dry mouth feeling

Part of me says that I am overthinking it and I should just have water if I want it... The other part of me says that I need to make every everyday can to keep myself from wetting at night

My wife says that I'm thinking about it too much and worrying about it too much...

I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on this...
I agree with Diapered Always, find out the recommended daily fluid intake and follow it. Know that the closer to bed time the greater the risk. The choice is up to you.

Reactions: Jorelaxed, newAB43 and UnderTheRadar
UnderTheRadar said:
I guess hoping maybe it will lead to a dry bed?
LOL....I don't know if you have any reusable underpads, but I HIGHLY recommend getting at least a half dozen though you can buy them a couple at a time as they're not inexpensive. Thankfully, I get mine for free and I have received so many I've given a bunch away as I literally don't have anywhere to put them anymore! I have to have 30 of them on a shelf and I have to really pack them down to make them fit!

The washable underpads are waterproof on the backside so any leaks are contained within the underpad. IF I have a really bad night, pee while on my side (this is rare due to my back but happens on occasion) then I might wind up with 2 of the 3 underpads I sleep on top of wet, but my bedding stays as dry as a bone 99% of the time. With a waterproof mattress cover, should anything get past the underpads, my mattress is safe.

With these underpads I recommend washing them in cold water only with a cold water detergent (Tide works great) and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND not throwing them in the dryer. Line dry them if at all possible. I've had some last me 12-15 years in the past, when I had no option other than to make everything last as long as possible. With proper and delicate care, these last indefinitely. You can buy these from LLMedico, Northshore, Carewell etc. etc.

Shame you're not near me as I have more than enough for me, and I keep getting more every 6 months! My entire life has been feast or famine with a LOT of famine from 2006 through 2019 so I'm not complaining having way too many diapers, underpads, ointments, medications... you name it! Wish there was a way to have had it all balanced out throughout the past 20 years, but such is life, at least my life LOL.

CptKirk

Reactions: UnderTheRadar
UnderTheRadar said:
So something that I have noticed is that I feel guilty if I have a drink of water because I'm thirsty before I go to bed... But I'm thirsty so I want to drink a water... Identify wake up at some point in the night, especially if I've already wet my diaper, I feel really guilty if I'm thirsty and need to get a drink in the middle of the night...

I'm not drinking a bunch of water just enough to not have that dry mouth feeling

Part of me says that I am overthinking it and I should just have water if I want it... The other part of me says that I need to make every everyday can to keep myself from wetting at night

My wife says that I'm thinking about it too much and worrying about it too much...

it seems based on your post that bedwetting is new for you. It is never a good idea to avoid water both at day and night. staying hydrated is important. many health professionals will let you that a person should a 32 oz or more of water a day. in time hopefully you become more at easy with your bedwetting. your wife is right you are worrying too much about trying to stay dry. the stress of worry for me makes me wet even heavier. i use to have a set time in the evening when i would stop fluids, but now i just enjoy my evening and not worry about how much water and others fluids i consume. the out come will be the same i will wake up wet each morning. key is finding a premium diaper that works at keeping the outside dry and you comfortable. A good important part is having a supportive partner. good luck with finding your comfort zone

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 39574, CptKirk and PadPhilosopher
UnderTheRadar said:

Listen to your wife. ;) She knows. :)

Bedwetting won't injure your health. Dehydration can, plus you won't sleep well if you're dehydrated. Give your body what it needs.

Reactions: DL85, CptKirk and Zeke
Joeysms said:
it seems based on your post that bedwetting is new for you. It is never a good idea to avoid water both at day and night. staying hydrated is important. many health professionals will let you that a person should a 32 oz or more of water a day. in time hopefully you become more at easy with your bedwetting. your wife is right you are worrying too much about trying to stay dry. the stress of worry for me makes me wet even heavier. i use to have a set time in the evening when i would stop fluids, but now i just enjoy my evening and not worry about how much water and others fluids i consume. the out come will be the same i will wake up wet each morning. key is finding a premium diaper that works at keeping the outside dry and you comfortable. A good important part is having a supportive partner. good luck with finding your comfort zone
Well let's just say it's been 8 years or so

As otherwise have stated hydration is important for health and it keeps the odor of your urine down as it becomes more dilute. There’s always a glass of water beside my bed and I drink as much as I want and more and as long as it stays in my diaper and it doesn’t leak onto my bed I’m happy. Let her rip as long as you’ve got adequate protection, but don’t be restricting your water intake.

Reactions: UnderTheRadar, PadPhilosopher and CptKirk
I can also only state from own experience that it's much healthier to increase the saturation capacity of your protection than to decrease you liquid intake!

• Love
Reactions: Zeke, bdale, CptKirk and 2 others
UnderTheRadar said:

To me it seems that that you need to consider what outcome you want. If you want to stay dry at night maybe its best to limit liquid intake after dinner and through the night. I remember when I was young my mother would say "nothing to drink after dinner dear or you know what will happen." Nowdays I try to drink a couple large glasses of water after dinner and then nothing after that except a small glass of water or juice to take my nighttime meds. Even with that, having a dry night is a hit and miss proposition. At least I dont have to worry about anybody nagging me about bedwetting these days but I pretty much stick to my regime anyway - unless I have a few drinks of something stronger than water of course.

Reactions: Knowdog and UnderTheRadar
Honestly... This started up for me a little more than a week ago... I haven't had a dry night since

And it hasn't mattered weather I drink very little or a normal amount

This is the case for me...I might drink a LOT throughout the day or I might be asleep for an entire day...regardless, I am going to wet 99% of the time. I believe I have had 6 dry nights in the past 15-18 months. They're truly quite rare and one really can't count as I went fishing @ 3:30AM and went to bed just after midnight.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
I am not sure what a "dry night" is anymore other than a brand of junior Nappies!
Not had a dry night in well over a year now, regardless of how much I do or do not drink.

Reactions: Jorelaxed
Just drink it if your thirsty. At the end of the day you’ve got a nappy on and that will take care of any accidents. Around 18 when I was really trying to stop my accidents I would not drink for hours before bed and put my nappy on late and pee like 17283738383 times before putting it on and I’d still wet myself so now a days I don’t even bother trying tbh I’d much rather drink when I want put my nappy on early not pee 27273838338 times and just let my nappy take care of it. At this stage I rarely have a dry nappy.

Reactions: Napincolove, DreamerBenenedicte, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
I have the same guilt when I drink before bed. Also hope every time for a dry night.

And since young age I was remembered to drink nothing few hours before bed. Also tries to pee multiple time before actually sleeping.
Even when doing all of this, I rarely wake up dry. But every time I wake up dry, it's after doing all of this.
And what's for sure is that I always wake up wet if I don't! Even sometimes wake up drenched with leaking protection. Or wake during the night already wet needing to pee again 😒

At some point I tried too much and was able to cope the few remaining accidents with a big pad (Ten Lady). It was quite an accomplishments for me! I felt more confident in my life during that short period of time.
But I was clearly dehydrated. Got UTI's and at the end got more leaks, urges and no dry nights anymore...

• Sad
In my experience my IC is unforeseeable. Might be that in the evening I drink some wine or beer, in the morning - diaper only "normal" wet. Might be drinking nothing in the evening - diapers totally soaked in the morning. Seems to be connected more to my general hydration level, maybe to activity of my kidneys, maybe that on the other side of the world only a butterfly changes his flight direction... I only know it's best to be always prepared for the worst!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and DreamerBenenedicte
I would suggest that you always drink what is normal for you. If you are taking medications that give you dry mouth, then other considerations may apply.

I recently found that while staying at a remote cabin, that by having just one beer with a meal lead to me being very hydrated overnight. So much so that my diaper was soaked in the morning and I peed from the moment I got up to the moment I got to the outhouse.

Back