Disposable diapers VS cloth diapers

PaciBabyGirl

Just a little who very much enjoys pacis
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
In your own opinion, which one feels the best? Do they Feel the same? I would like to know everything I can about diapers! Oh, you can also argue which is better here I don't mind. (Matter of absorbency does not matter to me but can be mentioned if you would like to mention it to prove a point)

depends on what you use. I prefer disposable. I grew up using disposable diapers when i was young and when i started being a DL around late high school, I would always get disposable. Out of the disposable stuff i prefer the plastic ones.

Reactions: alvn5140 and SofiaInPampers
For me, it's disposable plastic backed nappies. I do like how cloth Terry nappies feel when they first go on, but I find they feel icky when wet. However a good poo feels great in any nappy! 😁🤭

I grew up wearing cloth diapers and rubber pants and do not enjoy disposables at all. But I acknowledge that it’s entirely a personal decision and probably based on your own personal experiences. There is no right or wrong answer. I love the process of folding my diapers properly, pinning them together with two pins per side and pulling up my rubber pants. Even more I love how they feel against my private parts after going potty several times and my diaper is wet all the up the front and the back of my diapers. When my fiancée diapers me I feel much like I did as a young teen when my mom diapered me and then changed my soggy diapers in the morning.

Reactions: Jr2012
Definitely disposable for me, I feel that's the quintessential AB/DL experience. I'm definitely interested in learning more about cloth diapers, though. I'd eventually like to know where to start with them.

Because of my age I was a ‘cloth baby’, thick white nappies under plastic pants, but I actually prefer plastic backed disposable nappies as an adult, I love the way the wet padding cradles my equipment whereas I find cloth to be a little less forgiving. Pulse there’s also the laundry involved in cleaning cloth.

Reactions: sissybaby34
I'm a cloth diaper person. Disposables weren't around when I was growing up. I'm a nightly bed wetter and always wear cloth and plastic pants at home. If I'm away or laundry facilities aren't available, I willingly put on a disposable. I just prefer the feel of cloth diapers and plastic pants.

Reactions: littlemoosey and chuck
As far as which feels the best, I think cloth is much softer when dry. When wet, disposables are probably more comfortable.

Reactions: tbjay and HomeAlone
I just think of all of the extra laundry associated with cloth diapers. Plastic backed disposables for me😊

Reactions: EcoIncon and ThePaddedTurtle
When you wet a disposable, the fluids are absorbed but the liner keeps your feeling dry. When you wet a cloth diaper, the wetness never goes away. I find that skin care is way more effected when using cloth diapers, since that urine is always in contact with your skin.

The neat thing about cloth is that the diaper is that it's customizeable and only limited by the imagination.

For me disposables are my favorite. I do however like a cloth diaper due to the bulkier feeling. But I find them to hot to wear.

Cloth diapers feel better, but it's not as absorbent and requires plastic or rubber pants overtop unless you get a all-in-one cloth diaper.

I've made some really thirsty cloth diapers with 4 layers of Terry cotton between 2 top flannel and 2 bottom flannel layers. Really makes you waddle, but tends to be better for side sleepers as they wick like crazy.

Reactions: HomeAlone
i really only have disposable so i cant say anything about cloth diapers but im completely open to trying them, if anyone wanted to recommend a good one to buy, and i heard something about an all in one sort of cloth diaper that has plastic on the outside so you dont have to wear plastic pants (i dont have any of those .-.)

I am a "right tool for the job" person. When I go out in public and know I'm going to be out long enough to need a change, I wear disposables purely for the convenience: plastic backed with plastic pants as an extra measure when it's cool out, cloth-like when it's warm out. When I'm at home I wear PUL pocket diapers with a cloth diaper stuffer (with or without plastic panties depending on how leaky I feel) so I don't end up with a two-ton garbage can by garbage day.

IMO - The feeling of a diaper depends on the build (brand) of diaper, not really the type. I've had disposables that were soft and cushy and I could wear all day, and I've had disposables that felt hard and stiff and chafed my thighs. I've had super poofy cloth diapers that felt like wrapping a cloud around yourself, and I've had heavy cloth diapers that were scratchy and felt like trying to wear a small, firm mattress.

Reactions: ThePaddedTurtle and hoimi
Ukiwa said:
I've had super poofy cloth diapers that felt like wrapping a cloud around yourself, and I've had heavy cloth diapers that were scratchy and felt like trying to wear a small, firm mattress.

Yeah, cloth diapers tend to be soft at the start, and after many washings become like sandpaper. A lot of it has to do with the type of cotton used.

Ukiwa said:
so I don't end up with a two-ton garbage can by garbage day.

I feel ya there. I feel like my night diapers weight 20lbs each by morning.

Reactions: hoimi and Ukiwa
I wore diapers every night until age 8 and on occasion until about age 16 due to being a bedwetter.
Disposable were the diapers of choice and still is.
Not very good for the environment, I hear you say.
And I agree.
However there are people that get one cup of coffee from one plastic cup
with either a plastic or an aluminum lid.

Plus, I'm only an overnight diaper user and not 24/7.

I safely prefer disposable diapers

Reactions: SofiaInPampers
Ukiwa said:
I am a "right tool for the job" person. When I go out in public and know I'm going to be out long enough to need a change, I wear disposables purely for the convenience: plastic backed with plastic pants as an extra measure when it's cool out, cloth-like when it's warm out. When I'm at home I wear PUL pocket diapers with a cloth diaper stuffer (with or without plastic panties depending on how leaky I feel) so I don't end up with a two-ton garbage can by garbage day.

IMO - The feeling of a diaper depends on the build (brand) of diaper, not really the type. I've had disposables that were soft and cushy and I could wear all day, and I've had disposables that felt hard and stiff and chafed my thighs. I've had super poofy cloth diapers that felt like wrapping a cloud around yourself, and I've had heavy cloth diapers that were scratchy and felt like trying to wear a small, firm mattress.
Very well stated. I have experimented extensively and found the right combination for me. (As each should do) Similar to you, I have a couple of options that I prefer. It took me along time to try cloth. However, once I tried several styles, brands, etc, I found my best options.

During the day, I use a pull-up with plastic pants ot plastic covered training pants. Fits well and not detected under my clothes. At night I use one of two options. Cloth pull-on style with quality plastic pants or Training pants with a large soaker. I have moments when I am not as concerned about leaking and adjust accordingly. I am now very comfortable with my choices and leak free!

SofiaInPampers said:
I just think of all of the extra laundry associated with cloth diapers. Plastic backed disposables for me😊
I hear ya. With HE washing machines a load of diapers takes me 4 cycles to get enough rinse water to get them pristine... Wearing cloth every day means a load every day... so that's like 1200 extra wash cycles every year. Good thing my laundry isn't coin operated!

Still trying to stay with cloth for the economic/environmental benefit... but I struggle and totally get the appeal of disposable.

When I started to require the use of diapers due to incontinence I responded like the good little trained seal that I am an bought what I had seen advertised on TV. After a few months of this putting a strain on the budget on my fixed income I remember that my wife and I had saved a lot by cloth diapering our children and decided to try that. It’s a bit of sticker shock getting started but after the initial expense it gets much better. The one mistake a lot of folks make with cloth diapers is they don’t wash them several times before actually using them. New cloth diapers come coated with a material called sizing which protects them from stains and dirt during the manufacturing and retail process, and shipping. It also greatly reduces their absorbency until it’s removed. Adding a couple of cups of white vinegar to the initial washing before wearing removes the sizing and fluffs the cotton fibers making them both more absorbent as well as softer. The diaper that I usually wear is a 4/10/4 ply gauze contour that come with a 10 ply gauze soaker. I have some Birdseye and gauze prefolds, but generally also end up using them as soakers. Other times I used folded terry bath towels as soaker. The options for tailoring the absorbency to your need with cloth are almost endless. Some have talked about how uncomfortable cloth diapers are when wet. It never seems that way to me and I’m diapered 24/7. I do use a folded terry hand towel as a liner for easier cleanup so it’s closest to my skin, but it isn’t uncomfortable in my estimation. As for disposables I do use both Abena Abri-Form M-4’s and NorthShore MegaMaxes, both plastic backed, where I’m going to be away from home for an extended period. I’ve worn cheap drugstore brands and the 2 that I’ve mentioned are both far more comfortable than any cheaper disposables, but I still prefer cloth diapers. Cloth varies in softness and comfort depending on the material they’re made from as well. There’s Birdseye, gauze, flannel as well a different materials such as cotton, hemp, bamboo, and man made materials, each with their own degree of comfort. The final thing that I like about cloth diapers is that they require the use of a diaper cover to prevent clothing, bedding, furniture, and other dry surfaces from becoming wetted by wet cloth diapers. This gives me reason to wear my real enjoyment, plastic pants for their actual designed purpose. I hope that a can find something useful in this overuse of words and find a diaper that you can enjoy.

Reactions: EcoIncon
Back