Disability bathroom and using a catheter for the first time.

WendyLittle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
I'm in the process of having my disability bathroom fitted and literally now have nothing at all in my bathroom, I got a commode delivered by the company, but due to my disability (spinal arthritis) I find it extremely hard to use the commode as it just isn't stable enough and so is very hard to use, also I have to use it in my spare bedroom as my bedroom is too small for it to fit in, and the spare room is also full of new bathroom equipment that was due to be fitted, already! Thankfully, my bowel isn't affect by my arthritis yet and I'm also thankfully regular too. (sorry tmi) Hopefully it won't affect my bowels for many years to come, but I do have urge i.c and urinate frequently, hence getting nappies/diapers on the UK health service

Sadly, the contractors haven't shown up today and the company aren't getting back to me as to where the hell they are, it's my 50th birthday meal tonight and my bathroom should be mostly finished by now, tomorrow was to be finishing touches, that's not happening now either! I must say that I hated having to use my diapers for bowel stuff, ewww, but needs must.

So, to make life a little easier and not to have to go upstairs to change my nappy/diaper I decided to use a catheter and urine leg bag until I have a toilet/bathroom that I can use, and my bedroom is very small too, with furniture from the spare room in it, so even changing myself in my room is not an easy thing to do. My wife had colorectal cancer and I was taught how to insert and remove her catheter properly and safely. (my wife and I lived in Thailand, until she passed, now back in the UK, sadly...yuk! Lol).
I must say that it's made urinating easier for the time being as I can let the urine out of the bag down the outside drain (I wash it down with soapy water after), so going upstairs is now minimal and far less painful. Also, being out of diapers gives my skin a bit of a rest and no bulge if I go out.

I'm just wondering if other folks here have used a catheter intermittently, I'm also being very careful so I don't get a UTI, as those aren't nice at all!

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp and Happy2BeInNappies2
I recently had a catheter for about 2 months.
About halfway through I got an infection, but it wasn't too bad.

Anyway, it's an interesting experience, but I'm definitely not going to seek it out.

My incontinence so far is to the point where I can sometimes use the toilet. So, for example, at home, if I want my skin to rest I don't wear diapers. In that case I make sure that when I lie in front of the TV I have a pad under me, etc. But sometimes I'm lazy so I have a diaper and sometimes I know I could make it to the toilet but I don't want to so I use it.

Reactions: Diprs2, WendyLittle and Constantlydamp
Back