Diet and Rash

RedStripeLvr

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Have any of you noticed a correlation between your diet and getting diaper rashes? Have you identified foods that make you more susceptible to rashes? Fortunately, I rarely get a rash, so I'm trying to figure out what causes it when I do. I do know that if I have a bowel accident after eating spicy food (ie: Mexican house-made hot sauce, etc.) I change right away due to that burning from the peppers, but so far can't pinpoint anything else. Any thoughts or ideas?

Moisture?….Well besides that, there is moisture and heat. Okay.

Concentrated urine (not drinking enough water) is more irritating to me. Haven’t noticed one way or another on acidic drinks like coffee and juices. Though from a different point, coffee is self limiting as it produces a really strong smelling urine that encourages changing.

Mostly, I have found when busy, skipping my cleaning routine and delaying changes will make me more likely to develop rashes. Back to heat, it can contribute to rashes. Do you find yourself having more rashes during the summer?

daylight said:
Moisture?….Well besides that, there is moisture and heat. Okay.

Concentrated urine (not drinking enough water) is more irritating to me. Haven’t noticed one way or another on acidic drinks like coffee and juices. Though from a different point, coffee is self limiting as it produces a really strong smelling urine that encourages changing.

Mostly, I have found when busy, skipping my cleaning routine and delaying changes will make me more likely to develop rashes. Back to heat, it can contribute to rashes. Do you find yourself having more rashes during the summer?
Not really more during summer, though I will get some skin irritation due to the plastic chafing my legs. It's weird, because I am highly susceptible to ringworm, but as far as a classic diaper rash goes, I just don't get them very often. It's not a big issue for me, but I'm just really curious to find if there is a connection. I typically stay pretty well hydrated, and drink coffee, iced tea, and milk almost exclusively. Will have a mixed drink on occasion, and once in a great while will drink pop (aka soda or Coke for those not from Ohio). And you're right, it very well could be moisture and it just takes longer to affect me.

I have got no problems with rashes so far, but my diet has a direct impact on my IC and my IBS.

I have to eat gluten-free for many years now, but at the same time my bladder problems started three years ago i realized something else was odd, i got urticaria at several places on my body, got red stains when i consumed moderate amounts of wine, scratched myself bloody after eating "sauerkraut" and when i ate oranges my bladder was set on fire.

It took some time, but now there is evidence enough i do react to Histamines as well.

I think a closer look for allergies will be a good idea.

Supposedly more acidic foods can increase the chances of a rash so things like lots of orange or other citrus juices never really niticed it myself. Softer or more watery foods (curries, chillies, stew etc.) With not enough fiber to bulk out a bm might be a factor too.

As daylight said not drinking enough water can do it as the concentration of ammonia and salt is higher.

I'd be curious about people who chew lots of gum, in babies the most common time to get more severe rashes is during teething as they are producing a lot more saliva (which is an acid) and they are still eating softer foods and having loose bms which makes it very acidic.

Back