Diapers for Camp Counselors

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzywop

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
hey everyone
I've been a camp counselor for years now and I was wondering what diapers other camp counselors use during their sessions. In past summers i used depends maximum protection with tabs, wellness briefs, and tranquility atn, but this year i'm deciding whether to go with northshore supreme, northshore supreme light, northshore megamax, or betterdry. Which do you use as a camp counselor? which do you think i should use?

Based on my experiences as a camp counsellor (though not wearing protection there), unless you're at a special needs-oriented camp which is very accepting of such conditions, you'll want to choose something as discrete as possible while also being able to change as little as possible. I'd recommend BetterDry based on my experience (I've also heard MegaMax is good), you can get 12 hours out of either (however I'd also recommend maybe planning to change at lunch if possible or at some other time, as you'll want to stay well-hydrated). Store brands will not get you that kind of protection and leaks will give you away the most. I'd also recommend wearing underwear over top as that'll help conceal it more, as well as slightly baggy shorts/pants. Things at a camp will spread like wildfire and kids notice everything so try to conceal it overkill

Reactions: Sheepies
Topex: izzywop's status says s/he's incontinent. I don't see a reason to be so secretive about something that is needed. Changing more often is going to be a better option than wearing a soaked heavy diaper for an extended period of time.

izzywop, personally I'd go for the Northshore Supreme or the light depending on how often you think you'll need to change. The Betterdry and Megamax are good but do you really want to wear a diaper that's going to be so heavy when at capacity? I know I'd rather change more often and wearing something that is going to wick better than any other diaper I've worn.

Last edited:
Reactions: izzywop
puppyz said:
Topex: izzywop's status says s/he's incontinent. I don't see a reason to be so secretive about something that is needed. Changing more often is going to be a better option than wearing a soaked heavy diaper for an extended period of time.

izzywop, personally I'd go for the Northshore Supreme or the light depending on how often you think you'll need to change. The Betterdry and Megamax are good but do you really want to wear a diaper that's going to be so heavy when at capacity? I know I'd rather change more often and wearing something that is going to wick better than any other diaper I've worn.
Have you ever been a camp counsellor? As I mentioned something like this getting out would spread like wildfire between kids and kids don't really understand these kinds of things and the reasoning for them. Also based on my camp experiences having the time to change frequently is just not an option, due to either being not near the proper facilities but more often because of the demands of the job and lack of break time. Consequently, you have to make some sacrifices in terms of wearing but if managed right you probably wouldn't have to wear a BetterDry/MegaMax to capacity, however wearing a high capacity diaper during an active day like that where your access to changing facilities may be limited or inconsistent will help prevent leaks to a higher degree and provide more security

In my experience as a camp counsellor, I used BetterDry briefs by day and added a stuffer at night. Abena has a cotton underwear line that does numbers for concealing and maintaining privacy, even in the wettest conditions. Good luck!

Last yr I was and I use cloth diapers its easy they look a lot closer to realer underwear and can just wash for advice I'd say this make sure those in charge no that u need abominations as far the kids just don't make it obvious if ?s arise just explain . In fact Iv found it helped when some of the kids had a bed wetting problem

puppyz said:

Yeah I need these for medical reasons so while I'm not broadcasting it to everyone around me I'm not taking anymore precautions to hide my diaper than I would regular underwear. I wouldn't have too much an issue finding a time and place to change the camp has many kids and counselors who need this sort of thing so I guess what I'm looking for is plastic backed with refastenable tapes for tightening if i need to. I agree with what you said about choosing a lighter diaper, but the megamax is the only of these 4 i've tried and I really like the landing strip for adjusting when i need to. do you know if the others are good for readjusting? I am leaning towards the supreme lites or betterdry right now.

izzywop said:
Yeah I need these for medical reasons so while I'm not broadcasting it to everyone around me I'm not taking anymore precautions to hide my diaper than I would regular underwear. I wouldn't have too much an issue finding a time and place to change the camp has many kids and counselors who need this sort of thing so I guess what I'm looking for is plastic backed with refastenable tapes for tightening if i need to. I agree with what you said about choosing a lighter diaper, but the megamax is the only of these 4 i've tried and I really like the landing strip for adjusting when i need to. do you know if the others are good for readjusting? I am leaning towards the supreme lites or betterdry right now.
Only the Megamax has a reusable landing zone, and even then I'd be real careful as the tabs are actually too adhesive and tearing the landing zone and plastic of the nappy is very easy to do.
The Betterdry does not have a landing zone and when I've worn them, the front fills up way to quickly and expands like mad. I have to wear a very loose pair of pants or the bulge is very noticeable.
The Northshore's also don't have landing zones but these diapers wick so well that the rear is as wet as the front when I've worn them.
You could prepare them in advance with clear (or whatever colour you like I guess) tape. I do this sometimes with Molicares if I'm using them when flying.
Also keep in mind that when making your own landing zone, you don't need the whole front covered, just the sections you tape too. Make a template from a piece of thin cardboard etc, if it helps.

Reactions: pinderwhats and izzywop
Camp Kirk in Ontario, Canada is aimed at kids with incontinence and bedwetting issues. As a result, many of the counselors are former campers. I would imagine diapers are a pretty common topic of conversation there.

DanielW said:
Wear whatever diaper you normally wear, dispose of it properly. Camp counselor, or bus driver...it doesn't make a difference what job you are doing.
I mean the difference is that during the school year i don't have to move around a lot, i'm not outside in the heat, and i have more oppurtunities to change so those are the areas i'm trying to address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back