Diabetes and Gastroparesis sucking the life out of me!

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Due to diabetes, I have nerve damage that has lead to U-IC and worsening BM control. I barely drink at all these days, but last night I thought I could get away with a couple of glasses of Chicken Milk and Rum (Eggnog) given that December is upon us. I woke up fine this morning and we met another couple for breakfast. I thought all was well.

But by the time we arrived home, I had severe cramps starting. Initially I blamed it on the home styled potatoes cooked in over-used oil. But as the cramps worsened I realized that this was gastroparesis, which I have had the unfortunate experience before! As the cramps worsened, I lied down until I felt nausea. After several vomits in the toilet, I was finally able to lie down again. When these cramps happen, it's impossible to get comfortable, whether standing, sitting, lying on your back or side. You feel the cramps and your back has pains too. I had to endure these pains for a couple of hours until I was finally able to nap. A couple of hours later, I woke up ok again and was later able to have dinner.

With all this crap going on with my health due to diabetes, not being able to eat many things now (to avoid IBS-d), quit coffeee(!), I now have to completely cut out alcohol, even just having one beer (from a prior episode). This completely sucks. Diabetes is sucking the life out of me!!

• Sad
Reactions: Freddie07601, Cottontail, Pino and 1 other person
It's hardly comparable, but I've had a few ulcers and they're downright awful. I think they were duodenal ulcers. I felt almost constant stabbing pain in my stomach and my "deposits" black like tar. After the last one, I can't eat pork anymore. I had a little pizza with pepperoni on it and apparently even that was too much.

After the first one, I realized how disturbing they kind of are. I tend to get nauseas too, but completely lose my appetite because I've been digesting my own blood... eww. I learned me good now though. Even 1 random hiccup isn't just random. It means drop what I'm doing and either eat something or take calcium pills.

Don't take advil...

• Sad
Reactions: AttilaThePun and slimjiminy
slimjiminy said:
Due to diabetes, I have nerve damage that has lead to U-IC and worsening BM control. I barely drink at all these days, but last night I thought I could get away with a couple of glasses of Chicken Milk and Rum (Eggnog) given that December is upon us. I woke up fine this morning and we met another couple for breakfast. I thought all was well.

But by the time we arrived home, I had severe cramps starting. Initially I blamed it on the home styled potatoes cooked in over-used oil. But as the cramps worsened I realized that this was gastroparesis, which I have had the unfortunate experience before! As the cramps worsened, I lied down until I felt nausea. After several vomits in the toilet, I was finally able to lie down again. When these cramps happen, it's impossible to get comfortable, whether standing, sitting, lying on your back or side. You feel the cramps and your back has pains too. I had to endure these pains for a couple of hours until I was finally able to nap. A couple of hours later, I woke up ok again and was later able to have dinner.

With all this crap going on with my health due to diabetes, not being able to eat many things now (to avoid IBS-d), quit coffeee(!), I now have to completely cut out alcohol, even just having one beer (from a prior episode). This completely sucks. Diabetes is sucking the life out of me!!
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time! I must say, though, "chicken milk" made me laugh. 😁

AttilaThePun said:
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time!
Ditto.

I understand it I guess I meant to say. A "good" week for me is only running to the potty holding my hind end once a week. I very much usually enjoy using my diaper, but that I'll usually make an exception for.

Bad days and having to be picky about what when and how much to eat is kind of just a part of life now it sounds like for both of us. Eating the same thing over and over does get a little boring though I guess.

Reactions: AttilaThePun
I feel you, i have got mostly similar symptoms from Dysautonomia / PNP, mayby not that worse. I do not drink any alcohol for years now, it makes things awful. Stomach cramps are send from hell. I had some good weeks though, less problems with eating.

Wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceary and AttilaThePun
I have dysautonomia causing my gastroparesis, but I can definitely say I've had to avoid having real food eggnog due to GP. I feel awful when it hits my stomach hard and I have to wonder what my digestive system will do next. Does it make a difference for you what type of eggnog you have? Like non alcoholic vs rum and eggnog? For me different stages in my flare ups, consistency/density can make or break me.

I can empathize. Prior to making some major life changes that came with diabetes, I experienced classic symptoms of IBS-d, however, my body wasn’t in gastroparesis, but was dumping shortly after eating trigger foods. I dealt with cramps, uncontrollable urges, and feeling miserable after meals.

I’m earlier in my diabetes journey but I’m still dealing with urge incontinence (bladder mostly, but sometimes bowel after triggers). I’m hoping to slow progression by keeping my numbers in the target range. I’m fairly young so I probably have a good 40 years to live with type 2. Can’t express enough how important it is to work with healthcare professionals to manage the disease and symptoms.

wow, these symptoms sound like the same exact kind of shit, pun intended that I’ve been going through for the past two months. They recently raised my dose of Ozempic from the .5 to the 1.0 and my life completely changed. Not in a good way even though I had to change my diaper quite a few times during these situations. In the past two months, I’ve had five occasions, where my weekends or whatever we completely destroyed by having all these symptoms in such a serious way that I was considering going to the hospital. I didn’t, but it was still held to go through , and sometimes I thought it was my fault because of some of the bonehead things I ate, like no shit if you eat, McDonald’s is gonna fuck you up, but that really didn’t count for the other times that it happened afterwards, eat, seemingly normal things and you have no clue what’s gonna fucking ruin you. And it’s just horrible , now I understand the serious side effects of those and apparently my body does not appreciate the higher dose. Everything was going fine with the five dose I could eat normally and pretty much no wind to stop before getting too full, I could have the occasional beer but that’s it and I wouldn’t have these horrible side effects. I could still take my met Forman and my guardians and be fine. They did take me off the Guardian for a while because they wanted to see if a higher dose of Ozempic would do the job but if I’m gonna be in Diapers 24/7 anyways, for one reason or another I would rather have it be for the constant pissing thing that happens with that. Versus having multiple weekends destroyed with horrible pain from all the side effects of Ozempic. There’s just not much of a choice in that it’s common sense. And I think I’m gonna have a pretty good discussion with my doctor about this in the next couple weeks because i’ve read too many stories about how this shit just ruins peoples lives and it’s not worth the side effects.

• Thinking
Back