Dealing with IBS flare-ups

Jochen said:
With my IC getting worse since before summer (and me neglecting it and hiding it from my wife) and struggle to get an appointment with my GP (almost two months until my time on Wednesday). I have started to become depressed. I have gotten good support from my IC nurse and my fantastic wife. But knowing that I probably have another three month of waiting time to se an urologist is taking it's toll.

One thing I don't have energy to handle is my IBS, and now I have flare-ups more often. I just don't have the energy to stay on the diet I know work. Before when I tried to eat well it was mild but now it has become worse. This weekend I went on a trip with friends. My wife pushed me (in a good way) and it was actually quite fun. But today when out on the town by myself, my bowles just realesed with no warning. Not completely but enough. When in line at a grocery shop. The only thing that saved me was that my bladder had been acting up since morning so I wore a thin pair of Tena pants. As I walked back to our rented apartment by bowls just cramped several times realising more. Had to sneak in and straight to the shower. I really don't know what to do. It.is just to much with the pelvic pain, IC, depression. And now the IBS.

I don't want to be in a diaper or pull up all the time. How do you people manage? Can you tell before you have a bad IBS day? For the IC I have become quite good at knowing when I need more protection and when Tena male inserts are enough. But the IBS I don't know how to handle.
For me when I know I'm getting a bad flare up I get the sour burps first. That's usually a telltale sine I'm going to have a bad morning.

Reactions: Jochen
prostaticsurivor said:
I totally understand where u are coming from I have ibs as well.As of right now I am totally 24/7 bowel and urinary incontinent.So I have to use megamax diapers no matter what or the reusable washable pocket diapers during hotter months .now that it's starting to get into fall I'll go abck to megamax .I can have in one time normal bowel movement then later in day have full on liquid direhhea no warning .it sucks but I just go on with life .hope this helps any
I know where you are coming from had 3 ibs accidents today just in the morning.

Jochen said:
One thing I don't have energy to handle is my IBS, and now I have flare-ups more often. I just don't have the energy to stay on the diet I know work. Before when I tried to eat well it was mild but now it has become worse. This weekend I went on a trip with friends. ... It.is just to much with the pelvic pain, IC, depression. And now the IBS.
Since the autumn of last year, I have been experiencing IBS-D (diarrhea) more frequently. I have since learned to stay away from certain foods - this has been critical. The one other thing is coffee/tea, but I still dabble in black coffee. If I am at home for the day, I'll have one in the morning and usually pay for it for the afternoon until the bowels are emptied.

As a diabetic, I already have a long list of foods I cannot have (or at least not in tasty quantities). So I know how hard it is. Also, whether it's my age or diabetes, there isn't much appetite left to begin with. So I am not anxious to cross even more foods off of my list. But for me, it's either that or wiping up excrement later.

Jochen said:
I don't want to be in a diaper or pull up all the time. How do you people manage?
I didn't want to wear a diaper either. My IC started as urinary but has progressed into IBS-D.

From the initial start of threats of IBS to present day, I wore a TENA Ultimate Extra pull-up, when I can get them on sale. I am also using up some Molicare Mobile pull-ups, which are more absorbent but have a strange "cut" (I don't like them as much). If I am going out, for short runs, I'll put on plastic pants and compression shorts. The plastic pants are for protecting my clothing, in case the worst should happen. Always wearing pull-ups around the house means a simpler clean up when things go bad (and they have).

If I am going out for longer, I now wear the North Short Supreme Lite Briefs, with plastic pants and compression shorts. Ya, it's a diaper but it is discrete especially with the compression pants. Even though the diaper is plastic backed, the plastic pants provide that extra level of containment from fecal matter, and odour confinement. The last thing you want is to leak and ruin your clothes/furniture.

Jochen said:
Can you tell before you have a bad IBS day? For the IC I have become quite good at knowing when I need more protection and when Tena male inserts are enough. But the IBS I don't know how to handle.
My wife gave me the "guards", and they're ok as far as they go. But even before I was diagnosed/discovered U-IC, I had one F-IC accident. Since then it has got worse. So I have always insisted on pull-ups around the house even though I don't usually have U-IC accidents.

But IBS is something else again. I can leave the house feeling good and confident only to discover later that it is not going well. If going shopping or to a sporting event, I now plan for the worst (otherwise I suffer the embarrassment). You have to plan it such that you can drive yourself home while sitting in your mess. Keeping that mess contained until you get home (or to a stall) for cleanup, requires non-mickey mouse protection. For example, you don't want it squirting up your backside. Plan for the worst.

So even though I found it humiliating that I needed a diaper when I went out, I had to get over that. Nobody knows about it if you dress right. I have had accidents in pull-ups a few times because I was cheap and taking chances. But my luck is going to run out, so I don't risk it anymore.

My advice: Get yourself some NS Supreme Lite briefs (white is cheapest), some plastic pants to cover them (protection against leaks). I found that compression pants over all that helped hold everything in place, slimmed it down so you don't have a diaper outline. It will also protect against tapes that might come unstuck and will mostly contain odours. It will feel a bit confining, but I got used to it.

Like me, you got lucky and was able to "sneak in to your shower". But also like me, the day will come when your luck will run out. So prepare for it. If IBS never happens when prepared, then celebrate. I keep a garbage bag in the car also so that I can sit on that when the time comes, to protect the car seat.

This is a very difficult thing to deal with, as I am finding out. I have had to give up cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, etc.) and certain fruits like apples and pears, which are rich in fructose. Coffee and tea are another irritant. Google IBS and look for dietary advice in the meantime. It's likely you're going to get the same dietary advice when it comes to IBS from your doctors.

There is no half-way measure to protect against IBS. I hope that helps.

Reactions: sport1
I have found that there is really no good way to deal with IBS flare ups. I get a diarrhea flare up about twice per month and it hits so fast and cause’s such a big mess in my diaper that the diaper always leaks. I wear a diaper cover all the time to catch the leaks and it has been successful each time I have a diarrhea mess.

slimjiminy said:
Since the autumn of last year, I have been experiencing IBS-D (diarrhea) more frequently. I have since learned to stay away from certain foods - this has been critical. The one other thing is coffee/tea, but I still dabble in black coffee. If I am at home for the day, I'll have one in the morning and usually pay for it for the afternoon until the bowels are emptied.

As a diabetic, I already have a long list of foods I cannot have (or at least not in tasty quantities). So I know how hard it is. Also, whether it's my age or diabetes, there isn't much appetite left to begin with. So I am not anxious to cross even more foods off of my list. But for me, it's either that or wiping up excrement later.

I didn't want to wear a diaper either. My IC started as urinary but has progressed into IBS-D.

From the initial start of threats of IBS to present day, I wore a TENA Ultimate Extra pull-up, when I can get them on sale. I am also using up some Molicare Mobile pull-ups, which are more absorbent but have a strange "cut" (I don't like them as much). If I am going out, for short runs, I'll put on plastic pants and compression shorts. The plastic pants are for protecting my clothing, in case the worst should happen. Always wearing pull-ups around the house means a simpler clean up when things go bad (and they have).

If I am going out for longer, I now wear the North Short Supreme Lite Briefs, with plastic pants and compression shorts. Ya, it's a diaper but it is discrete especially with the compression pants. Even though the diaper is plastic backed, the plastic pants provide that extra level of containment from fecal matter, and odour confinement. The last thing you want is to leak and ruin your clothes/furniture.

My wife gave me the "guards", and they're ok as far as they go. But even before I was diagnosed/discovered U-IC, I had one F-IC accident. Since then it has got worse. So I have always insisted on pull-ups around the house even though I don't usually have U-IC accidents.

But IBS is something else again. I can leave the house feeling good and confident only to discover later that it is not going well. If going shopping or to a sporting event, I now plan for the worst (otherwise I suffer the embarrassment). You have to plan it such that you can drive yourself home while sitting in your mess. Keeping that mess contained until you get home (or to a stall) for cleanup, requires non-mickey mouse protection. For example, you don't want it squirting up your backside. Plan for the worst.

So even though I found it humiliating that I needed a diaper when I went out, I had to get over that. Nobody knows about it if you dress right. I have had accidents in pull-ups a few times because I was cheap and taking chances. But my luck is going to run out, so I don't risk it anymore.

My advice: Get yourself some NS Supreme Lite briefs (white is cheapest), some plastic pants to cover them (protection against leaks). I found that compression pants over all that helped hold everything in place, slimmed it down so you don't have a diaper outline. It will also protect against tapes that might come unstuck and will mostly contain odours. It will feel a bit confining, but I got used to it.

Like me, you got lucky and was able to "sneak in to your shower". But also like me, the day will come when your luck will run out. So prepare for it. If IBS never happens when prepared, then celebrate. I keep a garbage bag in the car also so that I can sit on that when the time comes, to protect the car seat.

This is a very difficult thing to deal with, as I am finding out. I have had to give up cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, etc.) and certain fruits like apples and pears, which are rich in fructose. Coffee and tea are another irritant. Google IBS and look for dietary advice in the meantime. It's likely you're going to get the same dietary advice when it comes to IBS from your doctors.

There is no half-way measure to protect against IBS. I hope that helps.
I don't like being confined to a diaper all the time but my flare ups like 3 yesterday put me in a bind. Good luck

Had spicy McDonald's nuggets yesterday. Never again. I think it's safe to say that spices are a major trigger, been feeling awful for the past 24 hours.

Reactions: sport1
Stomach issues are a big reason i opted to just wear all the time. I had flare-ups random. At first I could find a trigger or feel it and then it progressed to totally random and often. I ended up getting cloth menstrual pads I could wash and reuse. I ended up having a top and bottom scan. Stomach lining was inflamed and had a lot of polyps. I was told to stop gluten as the one thing suggested celiac. Test was negative but it's helped skin and other stuff too.

Back