Daytime incontinence

littledub1955

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I have only been urinary incontinent for around four years now. Even in the beginning I was doing most of my wetting during the day and only wet during the night about half the time then because I recently (within the past year) have been able to wake up and go to the bathroom ( usually once or twice) on most nights and end up with a barely wet diaper and if I don't have anywhere I need to go I can wear the same diaper ( cotton with a cotton booster) for up to three days before I wet them deliberately just to know that they've been fully used. It's on the days when I'm away from home shopping or going to doctors appointments, etcetera that I tend to soak them to near capacity or better by the time I get back home. Does anyone else here rarely wake up with a wet diaper and do most of their peeing their during the day or vice versa?

Reactions: Diprs2
littledub1955 said:
I have only been urinary incontinent for around four years now. Even in the beginning I was doing most of my wetting during the day and only wet during the night about half the time then because I recently (within the past year) have been able to wake up and go to the bathroom ( usually once or twice) on most nights and end up with a barely wet diaper and if I don't have anywhere I need to go I can wear the same diaper ( cotton with a cotton booster) for up to three days before I wet them deliberately just to know that they've been fully used. It's on the days when I'm away from home shopping or going to doctors appointments, etcetera that I tend to soak them to near capacity or better by the time I get back home. Does anyone else here rarely wake up with a wet diaper and do most of their peeing their during the day or vice versa?
Well that's a bit different
Typically it's wet at night dry during the day. Anything you're finding triggering day time wetting? Like for me a big one is getting up from sitting will just come out.

When you say cotton diaper with cotton booster you mean cloth diapers I assume?
I do recommend even if you arnt wetting change daily as just like underwear that area sweats which can lead to smells etc

littledub1955 said:
As SparkyDog said, that's a bit different. I wear pull-ups during the day and at the end of most days discard them dry. But overnight, the brief "gets it". If I make it to morning dry, it'll be wet before I make it to the bathroom (as I stand up).

Reactions: Diprs2, littledub1955 and SparkyDog
I have a severe sleep disorder. On a normal night, I fall asleep within 60 seconds of getting in bed, and never move while asleep, waking in the same position I fell asleep. (All documented in a sleep lab.) When sleeping in my normal sleep position I do not wet while asleep, but immediately wet when I move to get out of bed.

On the rare occasion I do not have a normal sleep night, I wake up in a different position with a very wet diaper, and immediately wet when I move to a different position or to get out of bed. I also always wet if I fall asleep on the sofa in front of the TV. So I know that when I wake up dry it's because of my sleep position.

CheshireCat said:
I have a severe sleep disorder. On a normal night, I fall asleep within 60 seconds of getting in bed, and never move while asleep, waking in the same position I fell asleep. (All documented in a sleep lab.) When sleeping in my normal sleep position I do not wet while asleep, but immediately wet when I move to get out of bed.

On the rare occasion I do not have a normal sleep night, I wake up in a different position with a very wet diaper, and immediately wet when I move to a different position or to get out of bed. I also always wet if I fall asleep on the sofa in front of the TV. So I know that when I wake up dry it's because of my sleep position.
Do you have any wetting issues during the day? You say you wet instantly you get out of bed. From sitting to standing for example?

SparkyDog said:
Do you have any wetting issues during the day? You say you wet instantly you get out of bed. From sitting to standing for example?
I have a neurogenic bladder because of a genetic neuromuscular disorder, so heavy wetting is normal for me on bad days, and light wetting and leaks are the norm on good days. I maintain a voiding schedule, which really helps on good days, but is of no benefit on bad days. So, staying dry through the night is a fluke.

I output a lot of urine because of the medication I am on for my disorder, so I always wake up with a full bladder whether I wet through the night or not. When I wake up and move, whether to get out of bed or sip some water from my nightstand, my bladder does its thing. My bladder does not contract on its own, so it's a long, slow, uncontrollable leak. Let me know if I didn't answer your questions well enough.

Reactions: Diprs2 and SparkyDog
CheshireCat said:
I have a neurogenic bladder because of a genetic neuromuscular disorder, so heavy wetting is normal for me on bad days, and light wetting and leaks are the norm on good days. I maintain a voiding schedule, which really helps on good days, but is of no benefit on bad days. So, staying dry through the night is a fluke.

I output a lot of urine because of the medication I am on for my disorder, so I always wake up with a full bladder whether I wet through the night or not. When I wake up and move, whether to get out of bed or sip some water from my nightstand, my bladder does its thing. My bladder does not contract on its own, so it's a long, slow, uncontrollable leak. Let me know if I didn't answer your questions well enough.
You did very well thanks for explaining.
Do you use a soaker pad on your bed?
What diaper do you use?

I always had urinary incontinence by nature, so I have never really been out of diapers in my life. But it never bothered me so as long as I have thick plastic backed diapers. I often wet without even noticing it; until it gets fairly soggy.

SparkyDog said:
Do you use a soaker pad on your bed?
Yes.
At home I use the NorthShore Champion XD Washable Underpads in a size L. I like them a lot, as they are heavy duty and don't move.
Away from home I use the NorthShore MagicSorb Disposable Underpads in a size XL.

SparkyDog said:
What diaper do you use?
Daytime
Home
Cloth prefold diaper (single), and plastic pants
Away From Home or When Guests Visit
NorthShore MEGAMAX Air, and Gary Active PUL over pant

Nighttime
Home
Cloth prefold diaper (double) and plastic pants
NorthShore MEGAMAX, NorthShore EternaDry Booster (large) and Leakmaster PUL over pant

I'm in the middle of a major home remodel, resulting in contractors constantly being around, so I am in "Away From Home or When Guests Visit" mode full time. As soon as the project is finished I will be back in "Home" mode when appropriate.

Reactions: Diprs2, puravidadip and SparkyDog
CheshireCat said:
Yes.
At home I use the NorthShore Champion XD Washable Underpads in a size L. I like them a lot, as they are heavy duty and don't move.
Away from home I use the NorthShore MagicSorb Disposable Underpads in a size XL.

Daytime
Home
Cloth prefold diaper (single), and plastic pants
NorthShore MEGAMAX Air, and Gary Active PUL over pant

Nighttime
Home
Cloth prefold diaper (double) and plastic pants
NorthShore MEGAMAX, NorthShore EternaDry Booster (large) and Leakmaster PUL over pant

I'm in the middle of a major home remodel, resulting in contractors constantly being around, so I am in "Away From Home or When Guests Visit" mode full time. As soon as the project is finished I will be back in "Home" mode when appropriate.
What's your reason for disposable with guests cloth even alone?

I only wet when I'm awake. I mostly wet my diapers, uncontrollably when I'm home. I very rarely wet on purpose. There is a few times I don't even try to make it to the bathroom. But only cause I knew I wasn't gonna make it anyway. And even those times I don't wet on purpose

Reactions: Diprs2 and EcoIncon
I mostly do it in the day. I think it's a small and/or overactive bladder; during the day I'll be eating and drinking and generating urine, but towards night I'll have not had as much. I often get woken up by the need to pee though, and often in the morning I'll be about to burst and dribble a bit after getting up (or feel it coming on and immediately wet...) I've only really wet the bed as an adult a couple times.

SparkyDog said:
What's your reason for disposable with guests cloth even alone?
I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but here goes...

When I have guests for the afternoon/evening or for several days, my schedule revolves around my guests. I don't want to excuse myself for 15 minutes to change my cloth diaper when I can change a disposable in under 2 minutes. Plus, disposables are stealthy; most of my friends don't know I'm incontinent. If I wore a cloth diaper around them, they would be asking what's going on, because it's profoundly obvious.

My wife and I raised our kids in cloth diapers. We transitioned me over to cloth diapers back in the mid 90's, because disposables didn't work well back then (had to wash all my bedding and bed clothes every day). Now my kids are married with families of their own, and I'm widowed. I still find cloth diapers much better than disposables for a multitude of reasons, but they are not perfect. They are not stealthy whatsoever. They require more changes. The have no odor control; if you can smell them at all through the plastic pants, then you're overripe for a change. Changes take longer: undressing from the waist down to remove plastic pants, thoroughly cleansing the skin, plus dealing with a diaper pail to prevent the odor permeating through the house, the constant washing, etc. Cloth diapers require work, but it's worth it for me.

Reactions: Diprs2, NotTheAverageMan, EcoIncon and 2 others
CheshireCat said:
I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but here goes...

When I have guests for the afternoon/evening or for several days, my schedule revolves around my guests. I don't want to excuse myself for 15 minutes to change my cloth diaper when I can change a disposable in under 2 minutes. Plus, disposables are stealthy; most of my friends don't know I'm incontinent. If I wore a cloth diaper around them, they would be asking what's going on, because it's profoundly obvious.

My wife and I raised our kids in cloth diapers. We transitioned me over to cloth diapers back in the mid 90's, because disposables didn't work well back then (had to wash all my bedding and bed clothes every day). Now my kids are married with families of their own, and I'm widowed. I still find cloth diapers much better than disposables for a multitude of reasons, but they are not perfect. They are not stealthy whatsoever. They require more changes. The have no odor control; if you can smell them at all through the plastic pants, then you're overripe for a change. Changes take longer: undressing from the waist down to remove plastic pants, thoroughly cleansing the skin, plus dealing with a diaper pail to prevent the odor permeating through the house, the constant washing, etc. Cloth diapers require work, but it's worth it for me.
You answered it perfectly thanks for explaining it all 👍

I wet uncontrollably only during daytime. If using a diaper at night, I wake up if I have to pee and then use the diaper controlled,
then fall right back to sleep. It saves me from getting up and only almost make it to the bathroom.
During daytime I get urges that I often can't stop completely, many times out of the blue.
But triggers can be water, especially running, and also a few seconds after I get up from a chair or out of bed.

littledub1955 said:
From what I understand most people with OAB wet will start out only wet during the day. Unfortunately for me, I also don't produce any ADH (hormone that slows urine production at night). It got to the point for me that I was getting up 5-6 times a night and was not getting any REM or deep sleep. It was literally killing me. So I trained myself to ignore the urge in the night. While I avoid wetting during the day as much as possible, I usually wake up wet. I do sleep better now.

IC is weird and there is many different types and how and why people wet or soil themselves. Not sure when last time or if you have seen a doc. It could be normal to be wet during day and dry or drier at night. Besides broken people most spend say 6-8hrs in bed you may wet before fully asleep but where you don't have as much intake as during you may not have output or enough to cause wetting likt during the day and during the day it could be many factors like coffee, caffeine or alcohol where you may not have anything at night. Me personally for some reason unless sick or caused by something(like.lactose intolerant of they use cream in coffee I am F'd) I only have bowel IC at night rare during day but know others that have random bm's day & night.

But as the C-CAT mentioned and give you another pov:

Daytime at Home: it varies if it's a bad day I recently have gone back to cloth diapers because it's less changes and just better for me, but do use some higher end cloth back diapers if skin needs air(also usually changing more often) but go to is NS Supreme as my go to.

For work or most trips out(whichever I use I always have backups and clean clothes); NS Supreme with Tranquility Boosters (2 sizes XL length ways and rectangular one across my pelvic area alot of leaks happen at top or sides being seated, so I can put something there) Also use a Ecoable Pocket Diaper as a diaper cover because it's lined it will absorb leaks regular plastic pants for me though sometimes contain leaks till I change or they contain them till it leaks. For times where changes are questionable or potentially unable to preform (I am paralyzed so need to lay down and not laying down everywhere even with a changing pad) Usual go to are Rearz Inspire + Night(or low.key abdl one very selective on prints) with Tranquility boosters and diaper cover(I had cigars with a buddy earlier tonight I really like that place but not handicap accessible no leaks but with cost not an every day option but even with alcohol I didn't have any issues also don't usually need a diaper bag)

On my bed and inside my wheelchair cushion I use higher end disposable bed pads 30x36, the higher end are usually cloth backed and like diapers where they absorb leaks or.pull it away from surface but don't spread many cheap pads don't handle leaks well and skin can be exposed to wetness also many are plastic backed which can slide also use caution goodnight brand are good but adhesive can damage sheets they have them so pad doesn't move. I do use washable pads at home with disposable on top so when I awake like I do anyways if needed I can toss wet pad and have another already there.

Nighttime: Most nights where sleep isn't well I honestly been using NS Supremes and usually use 2 boosters but folded to create what I call poop pocket(it stops messes from going to front or less clean up learned it from an aid). I do also use cloth on 2 normal occasions one of I had been drinking or if I have a day off usually even if I wake I middle of night never have to change. I use nighttime weight cloth with cloth boosters or prefolds, disposable liners(stops bm stains) and a diaper cover being paralyzed it's not a huge deal for me but your probably waddling if you could walk also takes little longer to put on.

I personally like cloth because you can adjust absorbency but will say it's like most diapers what works for me may not work for you also it's tad bit more knowledge as different fabrics absorb differently. For me my night diapers are usually overkill but haven't leaked yet. But in same token the extra washing and care does suck so I have love hate with them. I have accidentally worn them out and didn't have an issue but did suck to have to bag them and carry home so as long as I remember there for home use only. Also another thing because I cant pin well I usually spend more on them for snaps or Velcro, I can use a commercial fastener even though I don't move mentally I don't feel as protected as if they where pinned on even though I haven't had an issue so normally only used at home in bed. If you have an aid or love one they can probably put them on easier. But in process of rebuilding stash so usually it's like all night all the next day and switch to disposable and wash what I have if I have work next day if not will do 2 nights of cloth. But hope to mainly use cloth strictly at home and not a tree hugger or care about environment but care about costs & skin quality.

Another thing cloth is good for and and issue for me and do keep cew prefolds in my diaper bag or wherever I am changing. So a common issue even with baby's but boys usually worse is involuntary voids being paralyzed after I wipe front & fold diaper down, I place a cloth prefold diaper over privates which have helped me alot but not always needed but if you don't have sensation or tell it's a good safety measure I used to use a disposable diaper but found prefolds worked better.easier to.store, but when I had aids or nurses they would use a disposable and when I rolled over they pulled it through if I didn't wet in middle of change both do work but fountains are bad and embarrassing.

EcoIncon said:
From what I understand most people with OAB wet will start out only wet during the day. Unfortunately for me, I also don't produce any ADH (hormone that slows urine production at night). It got to the point for me that I was getting up 5-6 times a night and was not getting any REM or deep sleep. It was literally killing me. So I trained myself to ignore the urge in the night. While I avoid wetting during the day as much as possible, I usually wake up wet. I do sleep better now.
6-8 times a night used to be the norm for me but I guess I got lucky that I only wake up one or two times now so I do most of my wetting my diaper when I'm away from home. It feels so good to me to be able to flood my diaper when I'm away from home. If I ever start waking up with the urge to pee more than a couple of times nightly I'll just wet myself and go back to sleep and wait until I've drank my usual quart of coffee and waiting two or three hours later to shower and pin a dry diaper with a booster on with lots of baby powder. If I'm planning on leaving the house I'll pull some plastic pants on and get ready for the flood that is bound to happen.

Yes - it's really very different with incontinence. For me it's a bigger problem during the day because I can't get to the toilet fast enough. At night it is less of a problem because normally I wake up with pain in my lower abdomen. Since I found out that the bladder doesn't cramp when I just turn to the side instead of sitting up, it works pretty well now with a bed bottle. During the day, unfortunately, only diapers help because I lose almost the entire bladder content within a short time.

Back