Darn Wetness Indicators!

iatec779

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Anyone else have an embarrassing moment thanks to a diaper wetness indicator color? I suppose they help caregivers but I’m not a big fan :).
I’ve recently switched to wearing Northshore supreme diapers to bed the last 2-3 weeks. They fit me well and get the job done without leaking. It’s also not uncommon for be to shed some covers when I get hot in the middle of the night.
The other morning I woke up to my wife getting ready and leaving the room, bright hall light shining in etc. all I had on was my diaper, no covers, backside up sleeping on my stomach.
No big deal, she has seen this before. I got up to take a shower and noticed the wetness indicator was bright blue all the way up the back lol. The back wasn’t even wet but sweat or humidity must of turned it’s color.
Anyway, she didn't say anything, wouldn’t expect her to but for some reason after that, standing in the bathroom looking in the mirror I was super embarrassed. Like there was no hiding I soaked my diaper in middle of the night.
Are those darn indicators embarrassing for anyone else? At least it was just her and not a nurse or stranger seeing it lol.

Reactions: Deleted member 66129, Edgewater, Napincolove and 1 other person
It is embarrassing if you go to the doctor, but if my partner saw it and she knows that this color change indicates that it is wet, I just hope that he told me: you need a change, I can change you.

But since I know that won't happen I shouldn't feel ashamed

Reactions: Deleted member 66129 and Edgewater
Ya, I hate them even though the mrs rarely sees the diaper. I have had some that show even when dry.

Reactions: Edgewater
I just don't pay all that much to it any more. Mostly when your body heat from in that area turn color of wetness indicator.

Reactions: Deleted member 66129 and Edgewater
You will quickly get used to the color change. What matters is if the diaper works well for you.

From an early post of yours: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/pull-up-underwear-recommendations.168619/post-2177336
It’s crazy how a while back when I first opened the depend night defense she bought, I said to her I thought they would be less diaper like, she said back to me, “well what did you expect they need padding to work”.
Going by all the advice here from those that wear tape on style diapers. How do you put them on by yourself? If I end up having to buy some my 1st concern is how do you get one on say in the bathroom alone so I can put boxers on over it.
Guess I thought they were more for caregivers and people in bed but sounds like they don’t make pull-ups that can keep up with a full on diaper.
From an early post of yours: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/pull-up-underwear-recommendations.168619/post-2177371
Thanks for the tips Cheshire, I think I misstated what I was going to try first. I said abriform which appear to be the tape on style. Think I’m going to try the abri-flex pull on 1st. And buy a booster pad pack.
If that don’t keep the bed dry then guess I’ll try the tape on style.

In a month you have gone from your wife taking the initiative regarding the return of your bedwetting (Depend Night Defense), to you trying to find a better, yet minimally embarrassing solution (pull-up with booster), to a tape-on diaper (without boxers over them).

You're wearing diapers for bedwetting, but you're embarrassed about a stripe turning color? LOL

Congratulations on having the courage to deal with the problem effectively. I'm sure you, your wife, and your mattress are much happier. Meanwhile, talk to your wife about the situation. She never made it "your" issue. She handled it as an "us" issue. Time for you to do the same, so that there is never any thought of embarrassment for either of you.

Your journey is an inspiration for many on the Incontinence Forum.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and Deleted member 59082
LinkDL said:
It is embarrassing if you go to the doctor, but if my partner saw it and she knows that this color change indicates that it is wet, I just hope that he told me: you need a change, I can change you.

But since I know that won't happen I shouldn't feel ashamed
Ahh yeah the wetness indicator at the doctor's is a bit embarrassing.

"Remove your trousers and lie on the bed please"

No hiding your wet ☺️

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and LinkDL
Wearing a white diaper and wetting it… I’ve always found the yellow spot and the clumping SAP to be a very clear wetness indicator… :p

• Haha
Reactions: Stacy, 247, Edgewater and 2 others
CheshireCat said:
You will quickly get used to the color change. What matters is if the diaper works well for you.

From an early post of yours: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/pull-up-underwear-recommendations.168619/post-2177336

From an early post of yours: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/pull-up-underwear-recommendations.168619/post-2177371

In a month you have gone from your wife taking the initiative regarding the return of your bedwetting (Depend Night Defense), to you trying to find a better, yet minimally embarrassing solution (pull-up with booster), to a tape-on diaper (without boxers over them).

You're wearing diapers for bedwetting, but you're embarrassed about a stripe turning color? LOL

Congratulations on having the courage to deal with the problem effectively. I'm sure you, your wife, and your mattress are much happier. Meanwhile, talk to your wife about the situation. She never made it "your" issue. She handled it as an "us" issue. Time for you to do the same, so that there is never any thought of embarrassment for either of you.

Your journey is an inspiration for many on the Incontinence Forum.
Thanks Cheshire, she has been amazing through this whole journey. I don't think she thought much of it, it was just my first thought that AM when I noticed it so thought I would share.
I tried to wear boxers or shorts over them at night but I tend to get warm easily and shed some covers. I quicky found that even boxers over a plastic diaper was made the heat even worse so even if I go to sleep with them on over, at some point I wake up hot and shed the boxers/shorts.

She has had stress incontinence for many years and always wears pads. My mother in law wears pull-on's for years. That, and seeing everything under the sun in a clinical setting I think she didn't bat much of an eye at my issues. My Urology appt got pushed back a few weeks so still hoping someday to overcome it a bit but, in the meantime we're making due pretty well.
Haven't had to wash sheets due to pee in a couple weeks lol.

I have mentioned an upcoming trip in another thread. I've decided I need to wear a diaper on the long car trip as I know I will sleep some and worried about not making it to rest stop in time.
So, I decided to wear one for an afternoon the other day to see how it would hold up, if noticeable etc. I put on a Megamax air, wore it all day with underwear over to Walmart etc. It was quite awkward at first but after a bit it felt a bit more "broke in" and was tolerable. Wife said she could barely notice under jeans in the front and no one that wasn't really looking would ever tell. I usually only wear a pad so I'm sure I dribbled a bit during the day but couldn't even tell wet at all by bedtime. I could pull it down enough to do my usual business. Seemed to stretch out a bit after 10 hours or so but by boxer briefs held it in place well.
Anyway, defiantly feel for anyone wearing these all day and changing them all the time. I have it easy compared to you all.

Best wishes!

Reactions: CheshireCat and Edgewater
Personally, I prefer wetness indicators because I can’t always tell how wet I am and i have bad ADHD. Hence I appreciate the visual reminder, even if they aren’t absolutely needed.

Reactions: Edgewater
Regarding putting on a tab diaper. Over the years I have found a method a that works well while standing.

- First open the diaper on a flat surface and fold the diaper lengthwise over the length of the interior. This pulls out the two common bumps and is stated to open the target areas and transfer channel.
- Open the diaper with the interior facing-up and stretch the diaper lengthwise, this will set the side guards in place and you can check if there maybe a problem with one being caught by something.
- Step across the diaper and bring it up into place.

NOW for the Trick:
With the diaper lifted into place back-up into an outside corner or door frame. With the frame or corner to your back you can use both hands to hold the front of the diaper and set the first upper tab in place. Assure you have the proper tension. Now shift to the other top side and tighten the top of the diaper to set your other upper tab. Now set one, than the other lower tabs. If you have set the proper tension your diaper is in place and ready.

The first couple of times, at setting the tabs, do not fully push the tabs down. At this point, you can increase tension as needed or fulling set the tabs.

Now, most will have problems getting the side flaps open prior to lifting the diaper into place. Once, you have backed into the door frame or outer corner, you can use your hands to set the side flaps in place.

Hope you find this method helpful!!

Last edited:
Reactions: EcoIncon, BabyLouise and iatec779
I been trying to fasten the lower tapes first, I may have to try this out. I’m a bigger guy and have trouble reaching all around and getting the bottom tapes tight and even.
I have resorted to figuring out about where I want the bottom tapes, tape it up before I put it on. Step into it and pull up like underwear, then I fasten the top tapes tight to keep it in place.

Reactions: Edgewater and EcoIncon
I don't care about the wetness indicator line - I don't need it as I can feel easily if it's time to change. If using high quality diapers, they always feel quite dry, even being well used. As soon as they start to feel damp to my skin, I know the are near end of capacity and it's time to change into a fresh one. I don't mind that my wife can see sometimes in the bathroom when we are there together that I used my diaper - of course she knows that I wear protection for my IC , she's fully aware and has no issues with it, so it's also something natural that my diaper is not dry any more when I change myself into a fresh one!

Reactions: Edgewater and EcoIncon
iatec779 said:
I been trying to fasten the lower tapes first, I may have to try this out. I’m a bigger guy and have trouble reaching all around and getting the bottom tapes tight and even.
I have resorted to figuring out about where I want the bottom tapes, tape it up before I put it on. Step into it and pull up like underwear, then I fasten the top tapes tight to keep it in place.
I like this method too. If I’m in a tough spot (like an airplane bathroom), I will often use a hybrid of this method. While sitting on the toilet with my pants down but not off, I will tape up one side of the diaper (I know pretty much exactly where the tapes will go) and the pull it up and tape up the other side. This makes both bands free for taping and doesn’t require taking off pants/shoes.

Reactions: greatlake5, Edgewater and DiaperDiva
Back