Creating a makeshift crib

JustinDB87

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
So I’m trying to make my twin bed into a makeshift crib that can easily be hidden in the event company would come over. I’ve got 2 standard crib side rails that I’d like to attach to ‘something’ to slide between the boxspring and mattress. I’ve tried shelf boards, which had varying success (not good for the back lol) I’ve seen metal brackets/braces in images found online for bed safety rails, but I’m not sure where to purchase those individually to attach. My searches have come back unsuccessful. I’m open to any ideas or suggestions from everyone. Has anyone tried something similar and had success?

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and BobbiSueEllen
That sounds cool...a "stealth crib" that can evade human 'radar'! Do keep us posted! 🥳🥰

Reactions: JustinDB87
well, if you are able to do woodwork you could make something, but tbh, if you have the chance of adult company, then why bother? me i know i will never have company in my bed room, so i have a single girls bed.

Could you possibly provide us with some pics of what you are thinking. Are you handy with tools?

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Or you could have your SO just lock you to the bed so you cant leave!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Tomtomthedl, Seasonedcitizen and BobbiSueEllen
JustinDB87 said:
So I’m trying to make my twin bed into a makeshift crib that can easily be hidden in the event company would come over. I’ve got 2 standard crib side rails that I’d like to attach to ‘something’ to slide between the boxspring and mattress. I’ve tried shelf boards, which had varying success (not good for the back lol) I’ve seen metal brackets/braces in images found online for bed safety rails, but I’m not sure where to purchase those individually to attach. My searches have come back unsuccessful. I’m open to any ideas or suggestions from everyone. Has anyone tried something similar and had success?
If you can build a larger headboard for one end and then two smaller footboards for the other end, you could place the foot board's beside each other and join with two hinges. Then whe alone you flip up the second foot board to the same height as the head board and fix together with a bolt at each end to form the ends of the crib. Each side could be formed with separate sections like bi-fold or tri-fold doors to flip up to form sides bolting in place. When folded back down they would be covered by the bedspread on each side. This is just an idea off the top of my head but needs work to make it perfect.

• Thinking
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and BobbiSueEllen
Tomtomthedl said:
Could you possibly provide us with some pics of what you are thinking. Are you handy with tools?

I’m ‘ok’ with tools, but I’m not handy enough to straight up build a crib lol. What I did for a bit was taking shelf boards and using gorilla tape to apply them to the side rail. That worked surprisingly well and I didn’t have to drill into the rails with nails or screws. I would slip the boards between the mattress and the boxspring and it usually held pretty well. However, it made things a little uncomfortable as you could straight up feel the boards lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3566.jpeg
    IMG_3566.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: Angelapinks
I wish I could suggest something, but without being intimate with the details beyond what's been described, that's gonna be difficult. The crib I have is purpose-built and not adapted. I'm sure if I was there to measure an' all, something could be suggested. But I'm blank. :cry::unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelapinks
Get some kid fencing, put the mattress on the floor, then surround it with the fencing

• Thinking
Reactions: Angelapinks and BobbiSueEllen
Depending on the type of bed you have, how much space and how much you are willing to spend/do there are many ways to do it.

For the simplest option, on Amazon you can buy bed guards that slot or clip or fit under the mattress that look like these.

71RDnlo2itL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have seen many different styles of these and they all pretty much use a netting material but I have seen some that have striped material (like bars on a cot) but if the net look doesn't do it for you you can get some made of wood like actual cot sides like these.

61Je5StbAgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They just sit under the mattress on the side/end of the bed so are easy to fit and remove but the net ones are easier to hide as you can fold them up. They also come at different heights and lengths to fit any bed so make sure to check dimensions to get something big and tall enough.

Another potential option if the netting style side is not a big deal for you is to use a rolling safety gate like this one.

71x8CNwamaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These things have 2 parts the attach to a wall (or the side of a bed) that the roll clips into, they can then be stretched out and hooked onto another point and spring back into the roll when released. The bonus with these is again they come in several lengths (some quite long) and can be removed from the holder to hide if need be. Depending on your bed/position in room you might have to finagle some way to attach the holders but that shouldn't be too hard and if one gate isn't long enough for the bed side then you may be able to use 2 of them if you find a gate that can hook onto another gate.
These gates are also quite tall so they might feel more like a cot side.

Now on the more difficult but fun options, you could simply buy/make a cot side out of wood to your liking and on the upright bars at either end attach a metal hook/spike facing down, then on your bed have a corresponding metal loop that the hook can fit into. This allows you to simply slide a cot side into place and then lift it out when needed, the drawback is you still have a large cot side to stash somewhere but it is at least easy to fit/remove.

If you have a bed that stands high enough off the floor with space underneath the slats (i.e. no drawers under the bed etc.) something like this maybe.
6172io53dxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Then try looking at companies Richelieu or any ironmonger/joinery/mechanical fitting companies.
What you will be looking for (and forgive me as I don't know the exact technical name but someone in those companies will be able to help you if you describe it) is a hinged sliding arm. It's basically a metal slide like you would find on a set of drawers but once it is slid out will hinge whatever is attached upwards.

The idea here would be to attach it under the bed and to the cot sides so that when you want them you slide them out from underneath and then lift it to make the side wall, (you'll need a way to keep it up though) and when you want it hidden simply fold it down and slide back under the bed.

Not a cheap option and would take some work to do it but easily the most discreet and hideable way to have wooden cot sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelapinks and JustinDB87
I had to giggle at the word "Richelieu"...it brought to mind a rather bare-torsoed, sweaty Sulu galavanting around the USS Enterprise, jabbing at all & sundry with a rapier, cursing "Foul Richelieu!" before Kirk subdued him and Spock neck-pinched him...then Spock saying "Take 'D'Artagnan' here to Sick Bay!"...which is so out-of-character for him, and a sarcasm the likes of which was never heard from him again. 🫢🤭

But I digress. So far, good stealth-crib alternatives here. 🥳🥳🥳

Reactions: Belarin
Back