Connection issues?

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Anyone know how to fix slow connection issues. I keep getting dropped from my games. Could use some help from someone more knowledge on the situation

My setup is rather unique so probably can't offer lots of specific suggestions, but will start with a basic question: DSL, cable, fiber, or something else?

Dsl At&t

DSL is tricky because you're relying on copper wiring that is likely decades old, if not older, and not just the wiring on the telephone poles. Are you sure the connection is dropping entirely, or just slowing to the point that it's briefly unusable? Has it ever worked properly, or have you always had problems? Might it be affected by the weather or the time of day? All of this will help AT&T resolved the issue. In any case do contact them and (in case they drag their feet) insist they send a repairman to your street to check the local hardware. For supporting evidence you can run online speed tests (do a web search or AT&T's support may recommend a specific site) or do simple ping tests. As for troubleshooting your household wiring (which AT&T likely won't do for free), I'll need to brush up.

Spotty DSL can be caused by low signal quality. Most newer modems will show the signal quality via their web interface. Things you are looking for are SNR (signal to noise ratio) and Attenuation. Both are usually given in dB, though some modems may turn the number into a rating of some sort. Generally higher SNR and lower Attentuation is what you want. Anything above 50db in attenuation or below say 10db SNR is going to give you problems.

If this does turn out to be the problem, there are several things you can do. Usually the cause is bad wiring, interference (from power running along the same lines or other devices in the house, or other phones plugged in). It may be as simple as using a different outlet. Otherwise you can buy "whole home filters" that basically split the line where it comes into your house into a clean side for your modem and a filtered side for your phones (if you even have any). Then you can run that line right to your modem (avoiding running along power or around other noisy devices), ideally using ethernet cabling vs traditional phone wire.

Before you go all into that though, probably a good idea to confirm thats the problem. Really depends on how your phone service is wired up, but if its accessible from the inside it is usually pretty trivial to disconnect the rest of the house and just connect your modem directly to the service. If you do this and your SNR/Attenuation is fine, then you know the problem and can proceed with above. Otherwise the problem is probably at the ISP end and you'll have to call them to take a look.

Last edited:
Well right now I'm working on getting it to connect with my Xbox one with no drops in performance. Like I'm playing a multiplayer, and I either lag out, or I get killed due to connection issues. IE they were there a second ago, but somehow they were

That's usually how poor line quality presents. You'll negotiate a connection, then the modem will do its best to maintain it through the noise by lowering the speed. Eventually enough errors accumulate and the connection drops or slows past the point of being useful.
If you're not comfortable doing what I said above, you can always call your ISP. They'll run through some of the usual "have you turned it off and on again" stuff, but eventially they'll send a tech that will basically do the same thing (check your signal quality at the modem, then at the NID (where your service comes into your house). If its good at the NID and bad at your modem, problem is on your end and they may fix it for a fee or you may have to hire someone. If its bad at the NID, the problem is on their end and they'll sort it out.

Last edited:
Back