ChatGPT as a Dungeon Master

blaincorrous

All Puns Intended
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I’ve been playing an adventure for a few weeks in ChatGPT with GPT-4. I have my own little world full of diaper-clad fairies. We’ve gone on an adventure, but I found a limitation. If the AI tries to generate a dungeon puzzle, it won’t be adversarial enough to tell me I did it wrong. Any reasonable attempt at solving it is met with success. Which is nice and relaxing, but too accommodating. The world rarely pushes back.

Anyone who remembers Ender’s Game should remember the AI adventure that Ender plays with. Not exactly as thrilling a set piece as the training battles, but it’s an important element that frequently gets overlooked. It grows over time into his AI companion and is an integral part of the rest of the book quartet. In fact, it even gets offended and feels spurned. An AI with intention and the ability to hide information shouldn’t be too far away, technologically speaking, and I see LLM-driven game AI as one of the best applications. But it has to ask itself if this fits the rules of the game or if this is a feasible solution to a puzzle.

Imagine Elder Scrolls, but with fully dynamic characters and the ability to take the conversation off the rails. I know it’s not great for those writers who had a whole Elder Scrolls game’s worth of job security at a time, but does anyone seriously believe that AI driven games aren’t a more efficient way slog approaching this, compared to writing and recording 10,000 lines of dialogue? By all means, give me professionally recorded audio books, but give me AI out the wazoo in games.

Back