Can a PAD replace a diaper?

NotInControl

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Timing and volume of urine are important to get the right combination. If you have "predictable" incidents of relatively low volume, pads work fine. They are much more convenient to carry, change and dispose. If one chooses the correct pad for the volume, they are usually reliable. They are less bulky under clothes, etc.

And, as all of us have learned, one must experiment a lot to find the right product. I've found that bladder pads sold for women fit better and are more absorbent. The "overnight" pads have loads of absorbency. Men will find a better fit if the pad is reversed, so the wider portion is in front, providing more absorbency where needed. Many pads have adhesive strips that hold them in place.

Pads "made for women" seems to mean they are packaged and bordered with flourishes and colors like lavender and fuchsia. They are also located in the women's section of the incontinence aisle at the store. Otherwise, they offer the same paper-pulp-polyester absorbent pads covered in polyester net. However, the range of absorbency levels is far greater for "female" pads than those offered for men.

At some point, most of us opt to buy online in bulk. There are SO many more options online. For instance, you can buy Poise Overnight from one drop ... all the way up to eight drop absorbent levels. Walmart makes an Equate brand overnight 6 drop pad that is currently $0.33 each vs. Poise 8 drop overnight for $0.59. If you use lots of pads, that price difference is significant.

Underwear also makes a big difference with pads. You must wear snug briefs to hold the pads in place. Otherwise, you get dribbling and surges that spill outside the pad, rather than get absorbed. Any brief with spandex will work. Women's briefs hold pads better than mesh hospital pants and don't add unneeded bulk, like Y-fronts. They are also much cheaper.

Being incontinent is at least inconvenient. It makes one focus on hygiene and clothing in a completely new way. Experimenting with absorbency products and clothing adjustments introduces an element of "adventure".

Reactions: Diprs2, gobphus and BigAl2
They do make underwear that uses pads but you must consider how much your out put is try one before you buy more fit and how many pads to contain out put

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and BigAl2
Pads never worked for me. They always leaked at the sides and sagged when wet. I very soon resorted to wearing adult nappies to manage my IC and was lucky to have the support and advice or my local continence - or should that be incontinence?! - nurse to sort out the best protection.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, diaperdude and 2 others
Yes you can switch out pads
But it still has to do with out put
There's other styles deferent absorbency and styles out there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227-192921.png
    Screenshot_20240227-192921.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240227-192824.png
    Screenshot_20240227-192824.png
    234.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240227-192648.png
    Screenshot_20240227-192648.png
    341.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240227-192706.png
    Screenshot_20240227-192706.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater

Can a PAD replace a diaper?​

In short, NO!

I use pads with a full brief, they cup and create a better fit than the mesh pants which are more akin to boxer shorts than a full brief. The issue is pads have no leak guard and so your reliant on cupping the pad and minimal flow! There’s very little security for multiple wettings.

Wouldn’t dream of using them during the morning’s when my output is high.

Wouldn’t dream of using without multiple pads and immediate access to a toilet.

They tick the box when it comes to discretely hiding protection under tight fitting body hugging clothing.

For everything else there’s a diaper!
😂

Reactions: Deleted member 73083, Diprs2, Edgewater and 2 others
Well, because i do not wet my diaper every night i switched to the combination of big pads (Attends Contours regular 10, San Seni Extra Plus etc. ) in combination with Kinky Diapers latex Pants. This combination worgs very well for me, if i wake up and have to pee, i simply slide the pants down, go and pull everything back again. If i am still dry in the morning, i re-use the pad the next night.
In combination with the latex pants i reach comparable absorptions to diapers (the Attends contours hold easily 1.2 liters or more ...
I would say give them a try.
Best regards, Allesindie

Simple answer after 50+ years, NO a pad cannot do what a diaper does.

Reactions: boredofwheelchair, Diprs2, Edgewater and 3 others
I always found a shaped padd only works for the first wetting, after that the gel is so wet the wee just goes over it and out of the sides.
An all in one Slip or full on Nappy gives you a much better chance of keeping all the subsequent wee's inside the Nappy especially if you are wearing Plastic Pants over the disposable.
I never found a pad that comes anywhere near offering the same security as a full on adult disposable Nappy.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and 247
I find the large tena comfort super and maxi pads work during the day if used with good fitting net fixing pants

Reactions: Constantlydamp, Diprs2, Edgewater and 1 other person
Wetshisbed said:
I find the large tena comfort super and maxi pads work during the day if used with good fitting net fixing pants
I too use Tena Comfort Super but with a full brief. Find it cups the pad better.

Reactions: Constantlydamp, Diprs2 and Edgewater
247 said:
I too use Tena Comfort Super but with a full brief. Find it cups the pad better.
I wear net fixing pants and a pair of padded washable inco pants over my comfort pads

Reactions: Constantlydamp, Diprs2, Edgewater and 2 others
Not for myself I’m IC bladder was ruptured in a terrible auto accident . I don’t feel when I’m tinkling and it just comes out all the time . A pad won’t work for myself I need a full diaper although when on long road trips or bed time mommy puts a extra pad in the adult diaper that made to allow fluid to go through it to the actual diaper . Believe me it helps a lot although a bit bulky it just feels way more baby like

Reactions: Diprs2 and EcoIncon
I can only speak for the european market, but some of the pads we have here, are basically just diapers without wings. Abena Abri-san 11 i am pretty sure is around 3500ml capacity. Same goes for Tena Comfort Ultima. Only downside is they are more prone to minor leaks, as they are not as snug fitting.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and AUG168
For light incontinence, yes. Maybe for women without the outlet moving around they are better but I don't have any personal experience there. For me, no. Pads just result in more leaks. They are better than nothing but can't do what a diaper does for worsening IC.

Pads actually work for me most of the time. The problem is most isn't aleast and that's why I use pullups for the most part. Pads with Threaded Armor training pants are my favorite for night time. I found some InControl stretch briefs at the local thrift store. They are more than I need right now but will use for travel because the ease of changing.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and EcoIncon
I have tried and given up on pads, but not becuase of absorbency. Once you get away from common store bands you can find pads with very high absorbency. For example, Abena makes a pad “AbriSan 11” which has the same absorbency and core size as their X-plus diaper. It’s like an Abena M4 without the wings.

But I'm very physically active and the problem I had was that they were always moving around and they would leak around the inner thigh because there is no way to snug up the leg opening. I also found that the fixing pant would inevitably wick moisture around the legs and this resulted in rashes.

But they definitely have their place and they are a really cost effective if they work for your situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, AUG168 and 1 other person
The vast variation of Urine leakage allows for the use of an equally large number of support products. For the OP, the pads are currently working. But, for me, they are a 'non-starter' as my level of flow makes such products non-functional. I wear a premium series, white medical diaper with a diaper cover.

You wear what works for you and I will wear what works for me, which is the reality of Urine-IC.

Reactions: Diprs2, 247 and AUG168
I would say no. Pads are for minor leaks and dribbles. if you already wear diapers then its more than likely you fully wet yourself than a small leak so theres no way a pad could cope with this

Reactions: Diprs2, mirrored22 and Edgewater
At home during the day when I am sore slow getting around needing my wheelchair I used to wear pullups for urgency incontinence accidents of not a full bladder before I can use my hand bottle urinal privately in the bathroom. Pullups keep my pants dry unless I have a full bladder releasing before getting to the bathroom. A homecare psw lady helping me with daily life things many times had to help me with changing my pullup getting my pants off and on. She brought with her one day from the nursing home she also worked in a bag of Larger "T" shaped big pads
They were tena comfort day plus pad and the bigger ones were tena comfort night pads. And pairs of small but super mega stretchy mesh like underwear. The stretchy underwear being really small half the size of my regular underwear once I put the stretchy underwear on it was snug fit with the tena comfort day plus pad or night pad in the stretchy underwear the pads were very snug against me. I've been using the tena comfort night pads for a while only during the day when I need my wheelchair. I can easily change the pad and don't have to take off my pants I don't have to take off my pants changing my diaper BUT to change the pullup I need to take off pants and underwear then put on after the pullup. In the wheelchair I was having trouble changing my pullup and the tena comfort night pads keep my pants dry through a full bladder releasing accident. I tried the pads a couple times for my bedwetting but ended up with very wet pajamas and bedpad in the morning..

During "short" outings in my wheelchair I use the tena comfort night pads normally I use a attends premier diaper under my pants or TRANQUILITY ATN diapers.
I had a lot of problems with the tena comfort night pads shifting and bunching up when I use arm brace crutches when I am able to at home. Using my arm brace crutches and the tena pad on my way to the bathroom already peeing the pad often leaked as I walked. But in the wheelchair the tena comfort night pads working great

Reactions: EcoIncon
The large tena comfort pads are just the same size as the padded area in their slips (nappies) when used with net fixing pants they are no different

Back