Buying a new washing machine. Asking for your help.

BobbiSueEllen said:
So, is the dryer electric or gas?
Natural Gas!!

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Zeke said:
What did B&M used to call their Turbo 400 with a clutch in place of the torque converter? A Turbo-Clutch maybe? I remember they called a like equipped 727 TorqueFlite a Clutch-Flite.
Dunno, never heard of either. Doesn't make sense, actually...what about the front pump? A front pump is required and must be driven full-time, including clutch-disengagement and neutral.

Edgewater said:
Natural Gas!!
Ah, that explains!

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
SAMSUNG FTW

Reactions: BBBen and Edgewater
DiaperedCherub said:
Never heard of Speed Queen. I'll look into them. Thanks so far guys on your input. This is a GREAT resource asking in here. Lots of optio s to research and consider.
I have a top loading Speed Queen and a front loading Speed Queen dryer and they're awesome. Here in the US, laundromats use Speed Queen washer and dryers. Since I wear cloth diapers, I like the fact the a top loading washing machine fills up with water which I think cleans a lot better than a front loading washing machine. And yes, there's much less mildew smell. Speed Queen is made in Wisconsin and the salesperson told us it would last at least 20 years.

Reactions: KendallP, Ecchi231, Edgewater and 1 other person
Zeke said:
What did B&M used to call their Turbo 400 with a clutch in place of the torque converter? A Turbo-Clutch maybe? I remember they called a like equipped 727 TorqueFlite a Clutch-Flite.
I just did a search and it wasn’t B&M, it was Fairbanks Automotive. They some how replaced the converter on both Turbo 400s and Torque Flite 727s. I’m not sure what they did with the front pump but they were popular in drag racing in the ‘60s and ‘70s. Sorry I sidetracked the thread, I’ll go lay by my dish now.

Last edited:
Personally I prefer a top load machine with an agitator that fills with water. I truly believe that they do a better job at cleaning, especially whites.
Currently we are using a GE top load with no agitator. We've had this machine since 2011 used it for 9 years. We sold the house in 2020 and the machine has been in storage for 3+ years. We just finished building and we're back to using this machine. After 3 years in storage there was no odor and it works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy, BBBen and Edgewater
Back