Building you own ABDL stuff

LittleAndAlone said:
Need to be careful with scaled up bouncers. Can see someone losing themselves in the fun and easily smashing their head into the top. Our bodies aren't as little as we feel inside. 😔

Well more than a dozen various homebuilt jumpers and some repurposed "actual baby" ones and I have not once hit my head. Not once. Ever. This is an imagined non-issue.

There's also probably a dozen jumper threads on here. Always someone listing off the reasons they can't do it, me (or OCCASIONALLY a couple others) addressing all of those issues, and then silence.

My best jumper suspension so far has been 4x 160lb garage door extension springs, installed in an "X" configuration from my attic beams via 3/4" eye bolts. Steel safety cables (don't act like this is a big hurdle: THEY COME IN THE BOX WITH THE SPRINGS through the center of them, attached to a separate eyebolt at the beam end, and to the same "quick link" as the spring on the "center-of-the-X" end - this is #1 to prevent stretching the springs too far [as if 120lb me is going to overstretch 4x 160lb springs anyway, but just in case) and also to catch the "loose end" if one did manage to break.

The smallest, simplest jumper suspension is a couple of "screw eyes" into your ceiling joists. You want them to be rated SEVERAL TIMES your weight, and they have some at Home Depot with 600lb ratings. The concerns are twofold: #1- it could pull out. You address this by buying the one rated 3x to 4x what you weigh. #2 concern is they can actually *unscrew* (this is far more common than just "pulling out.") you solve this by having two of them: neither can unscrew without necessarily moving the other.

There's always a lot of concern about dynamic load, and an adult-sized weight jumping. This would seem valid, except that what most people here want to do isn't *JUMPING* at all. A child in a jumper bounces at least one half of his/her height off the floor before coming down again - often higher. Children also swing and spin. People don't want to do that - I know this, because in threads where I've discussed a lift distance of several feet (which is NECESSARY for the same actual experience a toddler-sized person in a toddler-sized jumper has) people have suggested that it is too long! Well, fine, but if the only thing you're doing is "bouncing" a foot or so (at this point you might as well just go do some calf raises) then dynamic loading is *NOT* an issue.

Go upstairs in your house. Jump. Do it again. Now come back downstairs and try to tell me the structural members holding up your downstairs ceiling (which, also hold up your upstairs floor) cannot support the weight of an adult jumping. And remember, you were just jumping from the ground: adding energy to the jump by launching yourself upward. In a jumper, the only energy in the system is from gravity itself, and is applied (relatively) gently as the spring/bungee lowers you.

Yes, an eye screw into a joist is different than jumping on a finished floor - but not MUCH. The manufacturer of the eye screw did that math when they printed the big "600 LB SWL" label on the package. The interface between the hardware and the building is warranted by the eye screw manufacturer (whose liability insurance wouldn't let them make a mistake) and for the buiding's part, the entire "force" of your assisted calf raises will also be spread to neighboring joists assuming the entire system (joists, floor, ceiling) is actually screwed together as it should be. (if not, move out, because your house is already unsafe, jumper or not)

Every thread about these things is just "I can't I can't I can't" because people prefer to talk rather than do. But you can, you can, you can. I do, I do, I do, and it works, it works, it works.

Engineering is great, but "attach something here that can hold up a few hundred pounds" falls well into the realm of the general carpentry trade.

I may apologize if my tone sounds even more harsh than "annoyed," but I'll make no apologies for seeming, and being, openly frustrated. These are fun to me. I do this a lot. It is in fact how I even came across this site to begin with. I once thought I might find others here to "compare notes" with, maybe we'd see (and I've tried to encourage) a thread discussing different designs, but all anybody actually wants to do is reinvent already-addressed "reasons" why they can't, and discourage the few who remain from trying either.

The subject comes up often enough. Try the search box. There is actually some useful information on here in previous threads..

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Sheogorat
Context. That was specifically in response to OP talking about a *door frame jumper*. Aka a 6 foot adult suspended off the ground and bouncing in a 7 foot high door frame.

But if we are going down the pedantic rabbit hole I'll just point out the difference between top chord live load (TCLL) and bottom chord live load (BCLL) in your example. TCLL for 18" deep floor trusses 16" OC usually call for 40 PSF TCLL and 0 PSF BCLL because unlike crawl space and equipment maintenence access in a pitched roof there's no crawl space in a floor (std 40-10-0-5). The 5 PSF bottom chord dead load (BCDL) for the static weight of fixtures, sheet rock, insulation, etc.

Max deflection is also considered in loading calculations that include determinations for web spacing, wood size and species (2x4, 2x6, SPF1650, DF2100, etc), metal connector size and bite, pre camber, etc. The overall stength of wood and a hidden safety factor of 3x means you're not bringing the floor or ceiling down but unanticipated point impulse bottom chord live loading might see cracked paint or drywall on the ceiling over time.

At CAPcon I saw someone getting in a bouncer with its own frame and it didn't look right. They needed assistance getting in because it was so high. At rest it was like 6 feet beneath them to the floor and less than 18 inches above their head to the frame. Turns out they were missing some bungees. They absolutely would have hit their head, possibly even hard enough to pick a leg up and tip it over.

So yeah normal every day people focused on the task at hand in their tunnel vision first person perspective don't see or think about things like smashing their head on a door frame or stretching under a running ceiling fan or trimming trees with power lines running through them and all kinds of every day stuff that should be obvious.

🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Sheogorat
There's long hard pieces of cardboard (from work)that might make a good baby gym.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
what brand is the giant playpen from walmart?

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Deleted member 66129
Kbaby84 said:
Good afternoon ADISC. I know alot of us littles wish to have a high chair, a crib, adult sized baby toys/ play area. I wanted to share a couple of projects. I already shared in another thread about a play gym i made out of pvc, and painted baby blue.

My recent project was a high chair. I purchased a directors chair from home depot with the confeti seat. I then ordered a blue wheelchair table on amazon. I also ordered the old style high chair tray slides from etsy. I used baby stickers from hobby lobby. I will share picks all assembled later, but am really proud of myself. i did it all for about 115.

I also purchased the xl playpen from walmart. inside is about the size of a twin bed. so can be used for nap times etc. that was about 125.00

no need to go spend an arm and a leg to have babv items. just think outside the box.
Very clever.

XLolixLolitax said:
what brand is the giant playpen from walmart?
HEAO 71x47" Baby Playpen Playard with Mat for Babies Toddlers Kids Safety Baby Fence Light Grey
Now $116.99
You save $33.00
was $149.99
$149.99

something like this.

So far...

Rocking chair, new, modified: headrest lowered 4 inches, decal added. Total cost: $225.
20230728_224415.jpg

High-chair, designed/built from scratch, except tray & latches. Total cost$ 200.
20230728_224856.jpg

Finally: the crib, designed/built from scratch. Cost excludes mattress & platform, sure is comfy! $200.
20230728_225142.jpg

• Love
Reactions: PumpkinPrincess, abdilly, Angelapinks and 11 others
BobbiSueEllen said:
So far...

Rocking chair, new, modified: headrest lowered 4 inches, decal added. Total cost: $225.

High-chair, designed/built from scratch, except tray & latches. Total cost$ 200.

Finally: the crib, designed/built from scratch. Cost excludes mattress & platform, sure is comfy! $200.
Cute! How you get in though?

If no one minds me saying. That's some really good work you did🌞

Hey, I'd love to get a ball pool with a slide, have any of you tried to build something like that? 😯

• Thinking
Reactions: newAB43 and BobbiSueEllen
LittleAndAlone said:
Cute! How you get in though?
The crib? Easy: the bottom of one side tips out and up, there are pivot bolts in the top rail. Latches hold it in and shut.

Last edited:
BobbiSueEllen said:
So far...

BobbiSue, our little carpenter! I love that you put your name on things, its a really cute touch!

• Love
Kbaby84 said:
Good afternoon ADISC. I know alot of us littles wish to have a high chair, a crib, adult sized baby toys/ play area. I wanted to share a couple of projects. I already shared in another thread about a play gym i made out of pvc, and painted baby blue.

My recent project was a high chair. I purchased a directors chair from home depot with the confeti seat. I then ordered a blue wheelchair table on amazon. I also ordered the old style high chair tray slides from etsy. I used baby stickers from hobby lobby. I will share picks all assembled later, but am really proud of myself. i did it all for about 115.

I also purchased the xl playpen from walmart. inside is about the size of a twin bed. so can be used for nap times etc. that was about 125.00

no need to go spend an arm and a leg to have babv items. just think outside the box.

I would love some little furniture, but all the diy vids I would need to watch!

• Thinking
newAB43 said:
I would love some little furniture, but all the diy vids I would need to watch!
Hang around me, I'll learn yas The Ropes. I'll even help ya build yer vocabulary...provided ya don't use any if it around your parents, LOL. Oh...and SAFETY FIRST! 🥳

Reactions: newAB43
BobbiSueEllen said:
Hang around me, I'll learn yas The Ropes. I'll even help ya build yer vocabulary...provided ya don't use any if it around your parents, LOL. Oh...and SAFETY FIRST! 🥳
You're quite amazing! Nice job with your carpentry skills. I used to build Cargo furniture, the kind that looked like ship cargo crates.

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and newAB43
michaelmc said:
Should put it on insructables.com
never heard of it. this was just fun to make. i have thought about making and putting on etsy.

BobbiSueEllen said:
So far...

Bobby sue , I’m quite proud of you,
that stuff looks awesome .
I have never really explored the little boy inside myself, being able open the door to a room outfitted like that sure must make it easier to slip away to the little that lives inside you .

• Love
Reactions: newAB43, michaelmc and BobbiSueEllen
I love the idea of a high chair tbh maybe one day I can convince Daddy to build one someday lol but we don’t have any space for one right now anyway

Back