BPH

AUG168

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
It's been a while since I posted about BPH. I would like to hear from those with the issue and how their incontinence has progressed as well as any failed or successful treatments.

I'll go first. I was diagnosed with BPH three years ago. I tried several types of meds and the side effects were worse than the issue. My doctor says I should wait for any procedures.

I started out with guards and could get by with one a day. When it got up to 4-5 a day I made the switch to pullups. I get really tired of pullups and occasionally I'll go back to guards only to be reminded why they aren't the best solution.

At night I use Threaded Armor training pants, they are super comfortable. Thankfully I'm not a bedwetter but I've noticed lately being more damp with a wet spot. It seems like things are getting worse. My next urologist appointment is 6 months out.

If you have this issue please comment. Thanks

Reactions: EcoIncon and Constantlydamp
AUG168 said:
It's been a while since I posted about BPH. I would like to hear from those with the issue and how their incontinence has progressed as well as any failed or successful treatments.

I'll go first. I was diagnosed with BPH three years ago. I tried several types of meds and the side effects were worse than the issue. My doctor says I should wait for any procedures.

I started out with guards and could get by with one a day. When it got up to 4-5 a day I made the switch to pullups. I get really tired of pullups and occasionally I'll go back to guards only to be reminded why they aren't the best solution.

At night I use Threaded Armor training pants, they are super comfortable. Thankfully I'm not a bedwetter but I've noticed lately being more damp with a wet spot. It seems like things are getting worse. My next urologist appointment is 6 months out.

If you have this issue please comment. Thanks
I have BPH and take tamsalosin which I have done for the last 5 years. I was on a similar journey from guards to pads to pull ups and finally nappies. In my post of "Peeing into a plastic bag" I told how I have worn a pubic pressure urinal for the last three years. I feel in good company having BPH as King Charles has admitted to having it and has gone for an operation.

Reactions: AUG168
I’ve experienced (probably a mild version of) BPH a few years ago. I took some supplements including saw palmetto and stinging nettle. I know there’s a good one called prostatrol forte. Might be worth trying. I know it doesn’t work for everyone, but it does work for some. Typically has less side effects than tamsulosin or finasteride.

Reactions: Constantlydamp and AUG168
So an enlarged prostate can - as long as it is still in there and has not been operated on - cause urge problems and make you get up more often at night, perhaps it also causes some dribbling, but it is rather unusual for it to cause severe incontinence where you end up needing diapers.

Sadly, there is a pigeonhole among doctors that blames OAB in men, with or without incontinence, on the prostate. Unfortunately, this is not always true and especially if you actually lose as much as described here - or if you can no longer stop the flow, it might be worth taking a closer look.

Urologists are often quite monocausal. Mine didn't believe me at the time either and said I should see an orthopaedist about my back pain...

Two MRIs, a urodynamic and a neurological examination later, he meekly apologized...

It doesn't always have to be the back - but there are a lot of reasons why such severe incontinence can occur. My recommendation would be to take a closer look.

Reactions: AUG168 and Constantlydamp
I was diagnosed with BPH eight years ago and was prescribed tamsulosin. Two years later is started having some daytime leakage. After a few noticeable leaks in public, I went to the doctor. He said my PSA test were good and said that if I was comfortable with management, he would not suggest surgery.

I also started with pads, but they would not stay put and I would still have noticeable leaks. I switched to pullups. For about three years I would only need one a day, but it has progressed to three or more a day. If I am going to be away from home for more than four hours, I wear a diaper.

I have had nocturnal enuresis and OAB my entire life and have always worn a diaper to bed. I think it would have been harder to accept had I not been accustomed to wearing diapers and would have looked further into surgery options.

mickdl said:
So an enlarged prostate can - as long as it is still in there and has not been operated on - cause urge problems and make you get up more often at night, perhaps it also causes some dribbling, but it is rather unusual for it to cause severe incontinence where you end up needing diapers.

Sadly, there is a pigeonhole among doctors that blames OAB in men, with or without incontinence, on the prostate. Unfortunately, this is not always true and especially if you actually lose as much as described here - or if you can no longer stop the flow, it might be worth taking a closer look.

Urologists are often quite monocausal. Mine didn't believe me at the time either and said I should see an orthopaedist about my back pain...

Two MRIs, a urodynamic and a neurological examination later, he meekly apologized...

It doesn't always have to be the back - but there are a lot of reasons why such severe incontinence can occur. My recommendation would be to take a closer look.
Had a catscan, 3D MRI, and a biopsy. PSA is good. Flowmax was no bueno.

Reactions: Constantlydamp
I'm on tamsulosin and finasteride, though most of my problem is a stricture in the urethra. I hate the sinus drip side-effects. My IC is caused by diabetic nerve damage, however.

Hi Aug168,

the quastion is what they scaned - I would guess the prostate. The point for me was that they had also scanned my prostate first, checked PSA made an uroflow and conclude that BPH is the root cause for my continence problem. Consequently they offered a TURP surgery.

I insisted on a Urodynamic beforehand because I did‘t believe that the prostate was really the reason and I was right. The UD showed that in addidion to the obstruction of the prostate there was also a neurglocical problem. I went to a neurologist who did a MRI of my spine and found after some additional EMG‘s and SSEP‘s that a spinal cord compression of several disks causing my back pain, the numbness and cramps in my foot and the continence problem.

This changed also the treatment strategy of the urologist. After some discussions with the doc I desiced to postpone the TURP surgery. The doc had raised the objection - that the chances are great that after the surgery my urinary incontinence will be even worse because then nothing reduces the flow anymore. So for that reason we desided to check the flow and residual urin in regular intervals and wait with the surgery until things may get really dangerous.

I mean - this was my case - and your‘s could be compleatly different - how ever - the point is severe incontinence often have different root causes then only the prostate.

Last edited:
slimjiminy said:
I'm on tamsulosin and finasteride, though most of my problem is a stricture in the urethra. I hate the sinus drip side-effects. My IC is caused by diabetic nerve damage, however.
A bizarre side effect is Finasteride caused me to get unwanted breast development and On the basis I did not want DD sized titties and wearing a bra the doctor stopped the medication.

• Wow
Reactions: EcoIncon
Constantlydamp said:
A bizarre side effect is Finasteride caused me to get unwanted breast development and On the basis I did not want DD sized titties and wearing a bra the doctor stopped the medication.
No moobs (man boobs) on me yet but I do understand it can be a problem!

Reactions: Constantlydamp and EcoIncon
I aslo suffer from it. I take alfuzosin. I never was a bedwetter and in the past year I started to wet just about every time I sleep. I also have occasional accidents if I cant hold it. wear pull ups all the time just in case

Back