Betterdry day vs Tranquility ATN.

BigAl2

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Has any one compared them to each other? I have a case of ATN coming in for when im in the mood for plastic backed diaper during the day. Now im wondering if i should have got the Betterdry day.

Reactions: Angelapinks and PadPhilosopher
I haven’t tried the Betterdry but my insurance will cover tranquillity so that’s what I use. ATN diapers at night and absorbent underwear day

Reactions: Angelapinks, PadPhilosopher and BigAl2
I have tried both of these products - they're both good but I will say that the BetterDry Day's are much better than the Tranquility ATNs.

The BetterDry's have much taller elastic leak guards to prevent leaks, and are way more absorbent than ATNs. I can easily wear and wet 3-4 times in a BetterDry without being worried about a leak; if I add in a booster and I can wear and wet comfortably all day and only change once around 4-5pm and then again before bed if I wanted to wear all day.

With a Tranquility ATN I feel like I need to change after two wettings, I wouldn't risk wetting a third time, I'm fairly sure they would leak. Even with a booster I wanted to change after 3 wettings and would have to change 3-4 times a day if I wished to wear all day. If you only like wearing for 2-3 hours at a time and just wetting once or twice? Maybe ATN is fine for you? Your call!

Some AB/DL folks like diapers that swell with a lot of SAP and the Tranquility ATNs definitely do this a lot! They start off fairly thin and discreet but after they're wet they get very swollen and 'squishy' from the SAP. Everyone is a little different on this, I'll take SAP/squishy over clumping but not if I feel wet which I often do wearing a Tranquility ATN so not my preference here, if I didn't feel the wetness that I do in an ATN I would prefer this over the BetterDry because the BetterDry Day's can clump sometimes. I find that if you 'activate' the BetterDry's by folding them in half and 'fluffing' them slightly this is less noticeable but might still be noticeable after the first wetting but goes away the longer you wear/more you wet.

Discreetness wise I prefer the BetterDry's. The plastic of the Tranquility ATNs is a little on the thinner side which results in them being a little more crinkly, too much so for my taste but some people may like this?

Tapes on the ATNs are pretty bad - they're thin but give you two tries. The BetterDry Day's are a little better, wider but not like huge, and again two tries.

So overall I think the BetterDry Day's are much better. Way more absorbent! But the Tranquility ATNs are ok for shorter periods of time but the absorbency and plastic backing is not really my favorite.

I'll toss in another diaper for you to consider picking up a package of in the future to try since they're kinda between the BetterDry Day and the Tranquility ATN - try the Molicare Slip Maxi's. Solidly between both products but I really like them!

Reactions: Wheatland, Seasonedcitizen, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
Thanks for the review. (y) I'll order case of the Betterdy next week.

Reactions: Angelapinks, Seasonedcitizen and PadPhilosopher
The ATN is not even comparable to the BetterDry diaper or the BetterDry Day diaper for all the reasons mentioned by Squirrely. I wore ATNs for a few years until I found ConfiDry diapers. When the went out of business 😢 I started buying BetterDry.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, PadPhilosopher, Ashton84 and 1 other person
BigAl2 said:
Has any one compared them to each other? I have a case of ATN coming in for when im in the mood for plastic backed diaper during the day. Now im wondering if i should have got the Betterdry day.
I've worn both, for substantial periods of time and hands down, the Betterdry is the better diaper. I believe you're asking about the Betterdry DAY though and again, I'd go with that over the ATN. With the ATN I am not confident I can go 4 hours without a leak and with the Betterdy DAY, I have gone as many as 6 although admittedly, being around a LOT of people before and after the tournaments (especially at weigh in) I intentionally drank less fluids than I normally would, JUST IN CASE! Still, I wore the Betterdry DAY for an entire summer and still never leaked until it was on for more than 4 hours and I knew I was in trouble as I could feel my butt was wet but I was so busy doing whatever I risked it a few times and had leaks maybe 2 or 3x, tops.

Either diaper is a decent enough diaper, but I do believe the Betterdry DAY is more absorbent than the ATN. It is also quieter, though that never was one of the aspects I was concerned with as my entire family and close to 2 dozen close, personal friends are all well aware if the issues I face including incontinence. Hard to hide when hospitalized for weeks at a time with everyone coming to visit you. After the 1st 6-8 months of that I didn't even bother trying to hide diapers as it was obvious with a bunch of diapers stacked on a shelf and cleansing supplies alongside of them plus I was bedridden. Surprisingly, I've not had a single issue due to my incontinence and diapers which is radically different than how I imagined it would be when this all first started.

CptKirk

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, PadPhilosopher and BigAl2
Yeah i don't bother to hide my supplies either. No one ever said a thing. I hang my bed pads out too on the wash line. I don't my water proof pants. I think the sun would get to them.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and PadPhilosopher
SofiaInPampers said:
The ATN is not even comparable to the BetterDry diaper or the BetterDry Day diaper for all the reasons mentioned by Squirrely. I wore ATNs for a few years until I found ConfiDry diapers. When the went out of business 😢 I started buying BetterDry.
The comparison is between ATN and BetterDry DAY, not BetterDry original. The Day product is lighter. BetterDry Original and Tranquility ATN are my 2 staples. I am also curious about ATN vs. Day, but unlikely to make a change to Day as ATN and boosters meet my needs just fine and are US made. I plan to keep BetterDry Original on hand for long nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, CptKirk and BigAl2
The Better Dry original were my favorite night diaper. Until they cut back on the SAP.

• Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: CptKirk, Seasonedcitizen and PadPhilosopher
BigAl2 said:
The Better Dry original were my favorite night diaper. Until they cut back on the SAP.
I'm intrigued by that. I bought a case of them based on their reputation alone, and have nothing but good things to say about them. I think the SAP is just right. Enough to make them feel dry for a long, long time, but not so much that they never wick, and just swell endlessly in the middle.

How long ago was the change made? Could I have gotten a box of the older style that wasn't rotated through? Or am I just easy to please? :LOL:

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
It was last year. The older ones were great. I loved them. I had to start adding boosters at night. I went that way for awhile. I have some older crikels here. They perform great. I weighed a new betterday vs on older crinkles. 1 ouce difference. It may not sound like much. But that is 1 once less SAP that is where the difference is. Ave absorbency was 60 oz for day use. And night much more. More of the diaper gets used at night. The new ones i was getting 40 oz for day wear. I get that from my Tena ultra.

• Sad
Reactions: Jonnythepony, Seasonedcitizen and PadPhilosopher
BigAl2 said:
It was last year. The older ones were great. I loved them. I had to start adding boosters at night. I went that way for awhile. I have some older crikels here. They perform great. I weighed a new betterday vs on older crinkles. 1 ouce difference. It may not sound like much. But that is 1 once less SAP that is where the difference is. Ave absorbency was 60 oz for day use. And night much more. More of the diaper gets used at night. The new ones i was getting 40 oz for day wear. I get that from my Tena ultra.
Well interesting. What was the weight old vs. new? I'm curious which I have. Based on the recent purchase I'd imagine they're the new style.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
8.4 oz. New ones are 7.4 oz Im a very heavy wetting at night. For folks who are not. The new are probably fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
BigAl2 said:
8.4 oz. New ones are 7.4 oz Im a very heavy wetting at night. For folks who are not. The new are probably fine.
Thank you for the information! I was very curious. My scale rounded it to 7 ounces, so definitely the new style. I'm happy with the new style, but not happy that you're not happy. I wish for your sake they'd stayed the same.

Reactions: CptKirk and BigAl2
I just weighed a adventure puffs. 8.6 oz. They are shorter than the BetterDry. So it's more padding and SAP per square inch. No wonder why they work great. My luck they will change. After the BetterDry failure for me. I settled on incontrol's original. They got rid of them. The new bedry suck too. Unless you buy the more expensive ones.

• Sad
Reactions: CptKirk and PadPhilosopher
Hmm I was curious which I have and weighed one and it was 7.6 oz so I'm guessing my comparison is to the BetterDry Day (new) also. Don't know if I ever tried the previous BetterDry Days that had more SAP but I still have a lot of the BetterDry (Night?) on hand and they are too bulky for my liking and I kinda put those sort of diapers in the Megamax category of being overkill and too absorbent for my preferences.

Squirrely said:
Hmm I was curious which I have and weighed one and it was 7.6 oz so I'm guessing my comparison is to the BetterDry Day (new) also. Don't know if I ever tried the previous BetterDry Days that had more SAP but I still have a lot of the BetterDry (Night?) on hand and they are too bulky for my liking and I kinda put those sort of diapers in the Megamax category of being overkill and too absorbent for my preferences.
7.6oz compares to the BetterDry Original, albeit the newer version. We haven't gotten weights of the Day yet, but I assume it's much lighter. Day and Original are both in current production as 2 separate products. The Original was previously made differently than the way it is made now, but Day is a different product entirely.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: Squirrely and BigAl2
WHEN did they cut back on SAP? I never noticed any difference in performance of the Betterdry and I used them for multiple years.

CptKirk
BigAl2 said:

I have a case of the Betterdry that are at least 16-18 months old. I never opened them due to having the VA provide me with the Megamax. I don't have a small scale to weigh them on though.

CptKirk

I think it was after the new years in 23 sometime. April maybe?

Back