Being a potty training "role model"

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
From what I've read, a way to get a kid 'into' the potty is to rope an older sibling or cousin into being a helper/role model, telling the toddler how to use the potty and encouraging them and so on and so forth.

Do you remember either being encouraged by an older cousin/sibling, being the older cousin/sibling encouraging a toddler, creating this dynamic as a parent, or observing this dynamic as a third party?

Reactions: KrankyPants
I started out doing that for my autistic brother but it just devolved into me being the sole person potty training him

I could not do that to someone. It would feel morally wrong.

...bwuh? i don't see anything wrong with asking a 6-year-old to clap and be encouraging when their 2 year old sibling sits on the potty and pees.

We had a daycare and potty as a group activity is very effective.

PurpleScorpion said:
...bwuh? i don't see anything wrong with asking a 6-year-old to clap and be encouraging when their 2 year old sibling sits on the potty and pees.
Whether it's me directly potty training them or telling someone else to do it, it feels wrong to me because I didn't want to potty train and was eventually tricked into it. Still wish it hadn't happened.

Reactions: thedlguy
I don't think I was ever instructed or asked to help my siblings potty train, but according to my mom my younger brother was "my baby" and I wanted to help him with everything. I think a couple times I would go into the bathroom with him when he was potty training and clap when he did it by himself.

• Love
My sister is five years younger than me so I could have done this but I have no memory of doing it.

I helped my godson by being a role model. He admires me, and once he actually saw me stand and pee in the toilet he ditched his pull-ups. 😆 Later, during the same wekend, he asked me why I locked the bathroom door while in the bathroom. I yelled "because I'm pooping!" Next thing I knew he no longer desired to use a pull-ups to poop in. He, was so determined that he chose to poop on the toilet to show me! I was proud of him. 😃

I also started leaving the bathroom light on at night and his older cousin began using the toilet and stopped wearing GoodNites to bed. Turned out she was scared of the dark. (Awe!) Now, if only that could stop me from wetting the bed... 😅

Reactions: thedlguy, WillFord384 and abdl86
KrankyPants said:
I helped my godson by being a role model. He admires me, and once he actually saw me stand and pee in the toilet he ditched his pull-ups. 😆 Later, during the same wekend, he asked me why I locked the bathroom door while in the bathroom. I yelled "because I'm pooping!" Next thing I knew he no longer desired to use a pull-ups to poop in. He, was so determined that he chose to poop on the toilet to show me! I was proud of him. 😃

I also started leaving the bathroom light on at night and his older cousin began using the toilet and stopped wearing GoodNites to bed. Turned out she was scared of the dark. (Awe!) Now, if only that could stop me from wetting the bed... 😅
Aww, that's really sweet.

Thank you! I want to have children some day.

I've never really had that since I was an only child. I mainly had adults like my parents and my preschool teachers encourage me to go to the toilet like everyone else.

I don’t remember being the “role model” for my sister, but I certainly remember her potty training.

I think she was about 2 for the daytime and 3 for night-time.

There are some particular memories I have of that. I remember one weekend when she was put into knickers and was wearing a dress (probably easier to deal with than trousers. We were at one of those pub with a beer garden and outdoor play area type things and I had made some little friends.

We were hiding in some sort of plastic giant log thing and she ran over to us. I remember the sight of wee streaming down her legs and she was totally oblivious to what was happening. All of the other kids started going “urgh!!!!” loudly and I ran over to get our Mum who obviously collected her and changed her dress. I think that must have been very on in the toilet training as she had a nappy back on when she came back over to play (I don’t remember which type as I only remember seeing the white plastic on that occasion).

Another memory I have is when she was provided with training pants (this is still about a year or two before Pull-Ups were launched in the UK) and they were plastic pants with a terry lining.

I don’t think it was long after the first “accident” I mentioned as I don’t think it took her long to train in the day.

She had them on under blue dungarees and probably less than an hour after they went on she had a full in wee accident and they leaked causing a huge un-missable wet patch and tears.

I don’t remember them being used again after that as they were clearly hopeless in terms of performance.

When she was trained, she was still wet at night for about another year (which meant I still had a regular supply of nappies to swipe) and then I think her nappies just started to be dry in the morning sometime while she was three so she stopped wearing them.

I remember the last occasion I wore one of her nappies- it was the last one left over in an empty pack.

I’ve already told this story in my origin thread:

“I remember the last time I wore one of my sister’s nappies. I was aged six. It was the last one in a leftover pack of Ultra Pampers for Girls that she was no longer using. I put it on in the bathroom and looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. I remember thinking to myself “why are you doing this?” I did a wee in the nappy, which felt wonderful. I undid one tab and took it off. I kept the nappy in a box in my room.

I put it on again the next day and I remember liking the feeling of putting on the cool, already wet nappy. I wet it again and it didn’t leak. I then put it back in the box.

On the third day I went to do the same but it smelled very bad and I managed to dispose of it somehow without being found out.”

Full thread here:

I remember her wetting the bed on occasion up to the age of 7 but this was on isolated occasions and not on a regular basis.

Nevertheless, each time it happened I would try to sneak some Pull-Ups (usually Peaudouce Up&Go ones, for some reason!) into the supermarket trolley next time we went.

My Mum would always put them back and I would suggest that we got them for my sister “in case she wets the bed again” but my Mum always calmly but firmly refused. I think she once said “No- it might make her lazy.”

My sister never usually said anything but looked down, embarrassed, when this happened in the supermarket.

When she had wet the bed my sister usually never said anything, she would just get up and get changed in the morning like nothing had happened, leaving her wet nightie or pyjamas on the wet patch. She was never told off for it, though.

Although we had a room each, for a few years we shared a bedroom (from when she was about 3 to 6, I think. I would have been 6 to 9 or thereabouts). I think it may have been my parents idea so she would stop sneaking into their bed if she had someone else in the room. We had single divan beds on each side of a reasonably large room, but it was hard to miss (sight and smell) if she had wet the bed.

Our sharing a room coincided briefly with the very last months of her wearing nappies to bed aged 3 and seeing her lying on her bed having her nappy put on (no changing mat as she was dry by day) filled me with jealousy.

Towards the very end, she would actually ask to put the nappy on herself, open it, put it on the bed and lie on top of it but would get the tapes all wrong and my Mum would have to re-tape it for her. That was probably only a week or two before she stopped wearing them altogether.
All these years later we still get to on very well (albeit live in different towns) but I have never mentioned any of these things as an adult and she has no idea about my nappy fixation.

Last edited:
Back