Bedwetter anesthesia advice needed!

Rtrdude9699

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
First off, I’m a nighttime bedwetter only. I’m going in for what I imagine will be a very short procedure (upper GI scope) where they will put me under. I do know that I react fairly intensely to anesthesia (as in, I’ll be out of it and groggy most of the day after being put under). My question is, (I haven’t been put under since my bed wetting came back as an adult) if I need to wear protection for the procedure? I don’t imagine it will take too long, but also don’t want to be out and wet the table 😂. Is anesthesia different than “sleeping” in this regard? Would rather not have to go in there wearing a diaper if I don’t need to…

Reactions: Angelapinks
Wear a diaper just to be safe.

Rtrdude9699 said:
First off, I’m a nighttime bedwetter only. I’m going in for what I imagine will be a very short procedure (upper GI scope) where they will put me under. I do know that I react fairly intensely to anesthesia (as in, I’ll be out of it and groggy most of the day after being put under). My question is, (I haven’t been put under since my bed wetting came back as an adult) if I need to wear protection for the procedure? I don’t imagine it will take too long, but also don’t want to be out and wet the table 😂. Is anesthesia different than “sleeping” in this regard? Would rather not have to go in there wearing a diaper if I don’t need to…
I would wear protection

I had a experience with being put in twilight sleep for a medical procedure recently. I woke up with a very wet diaper and it's not the only time I've been put under and peed myself. If you wet at night while sleeping I would definitely recommend wearing a diaper.

Reactions: AJFan2020 and DropBearAu
I think it more than likely that they will catheterise you; at least that seems to be normal practise in the UK, though it might depend on how long the procedure is likely to take.

Although personally, I would insist on wearing a nappy. I hate catheters - I find them extremely uncomfortable and painful, and I firmly believe that while they did not actually cause my urinary issues, they may have exacerbated them.

Reactions: Deleted member 60181 and perlFerret
Wear a diaper, take an extra with you.
you never know what might happen.

Reactions: perlFerret and AJFan2020
And don't forget the plastic diaper cover/panty.

An endoscopy (upper GI scope) tends to be a quick procedure (15-30 minutes), but they will sedate you. Wear something comfortable like sweats; you will likely only need to undress from the waist up and put on a gown. If you have an issue with bedwetting, I would strongly recommend wearing a diaper, but use the toilet when you change into the gown. Use the toilet again after the procedure. That way if you are sleepy for several hours you won't need to be concerned about leaks if you doze off. You will be told to drink a large amount of water over the next 12 hours to clear the sedation from your system.

Reactions: perlFerret
I’ve got a gastro appointment tomorrow which I know I’ll be heavily sedated for so I’m deffo going to wear a nappy and pants to
Even if I don’t wet during the procedure I can go straight to bed with out having to change and try and use pins as I would be putting back on a cloth nappy

Reactions: perlFerret
parcelboy2 said:
I’ve got a gastro appointment tomorrow which I know I’ll be heavily sedated for so I’m deffo going to wear a nappy and pants to
Even if I don’t wet during the procedure I can go straight to bed with out having to change and try and use pins as I would be putting back on a cloth nappy
I did the same- straight to bed all protected. Good thing too. Gosh I was OUT.

Reactions: perlFerret, babybev and NappiedTruckDriver
Wear a diaper. Medical staff does not care and they’d prefer you wore or told them so they could possible cath you.

Rtrdude9699 said:
I too am a night time bed wetter and as previously discussed I wear to the dentist to prevent accidents. I usually go in for a back procedure every year for my severe back injury and I am under a light anesthetic for the pain and this makes me a little groggy but does not put me out. Inspite of going to the bathroom almost right before the procedure I have still almost wet the table during the hour long session and I am nervous about going again this year as my problem has gotten worse the last two years and due to Covid I have not been for two years either as the clinic closed down for this type of service. If I go this year I will be telling the doctor about my problem and telling him I will wear a pullup style diaper in case. The procedure is Radio Frequency Ablation where by they burn the nerves with radio waves to eliminate the lasting pain from my damaged lower four vertebrae. It requires needles into the nerves on both sides of the joints and is quite painful until about an hour after and then it is heaven, no pain for about year afterwards.

Well all went well and no one even noticed my nappy
I've just changed in to a fresh one for bed and now gonna get some sleep 😴😴😴

Reactions: Angelapinks, Mas16210 and dogboy
Rtrdude9699 said:
My question is, (I haven’t been put under since my bed wetting came back as an adult) if I need to wear protection for the procedure?
You can always ask the doctors or nurses. When they give you the pre-op instructions (usually stuff like "no food for 24 hours before, no liquid for 12 hours prior), just mention about the bedwetting and ask if you should wear protection.

That said, generally when somebody goes under anesthetic, the no eating and no drinking thing means that you won't really have a whole lot, if anything, in your bladder by the time they're putting you under. Also like others have said, they tend to cath patients during anesthesia.

But again, ask your doctor/nurse about it. They can give you the best answer and every hospital is going to be a little bit different.

Last edited:
Back