Becoming a bedwetter as an adult

slimjiminy said:
I'm a #2 upon retiring, with diabetes inflicting IC upon me. There is definitely no joy in that.
I am fighting with type 2 diabetes right now (along with a few other issues). I've got my A1C down to 6.0 from 6.5 without meds. Now to keep loosing weight and aim for 5.5 or better. Theoretically I should be able to "cure" it but the discipline and lifestyle changes are monumental and hard.

Reactions: Edgewater, Zeke, Diprs2 and 2 others
DinoFrant said:
This is my case. Save for the odd accident every few months/years, I´d never experienced bedwetting while growing up... but then one morning when I was 30 years old I woke up to a completely soaked bed. My ex-gf was sleeping next to me, so it was even more embarrassing and disconcerting. Still I took it as a fluke and let it slide, but it happened again two weeks later, and then again another two weeks later, so I went to see the doctor.

Of course, the urologist´s first thought was that I could have prostate issues, but luckily it wasn´t my prostate. He asked me to take the conventional measures like cutting fluids 1 hour before bedtime, reducing my caffeine/coke/alcohol intake, using the toilet twice before hopping in bed... but still the intervals between accidents started to reduce more and more rather quickly and all of a sudden it was a nightly issue.

Encouraged by my dr and my ex, I started to use a bedwetting alarm, thinking that I could re-train myself... but the darned thing just kept waking me up 2, 3, 4, 5 times on the same night!!! And to make things worse, by the time I woke up my bladder was already empty and I´d have to change my undies and pjs, and the bedsheets too. That´s been the most frustrating period of my adult life. I threw that instrument of torture away and then my ex suggested I could try "some sort of protection" to which I agreed almost too eagerly because not only I´ve loved diapers all my life, but also because I couldn´t take all that extra laundry anymore.

At the same time I was still undergoing many painful and awkward tests to find the cause of my bedwetting, but they never found any underlying illness... then I recalled a painful rock-climbing accident I´d had some months earlier and that´s when they started to consider nerve damage as the actual cause. Indeed it turns out that when I´m sleeping there´s absolutely no connection between my brain and my sphyncter muscles, and that´s why I could no longer get up to use the toilet like I had done before and that´s why no matter how loud the alarm sounds, my bladder is just going to empty itself if I sleep more than 30 minutes. My doctor suggested some medicines to stop my bladder from working at night but I rejected them because I had read about the side effects -and also because I was somewhat happy to have a legitimate reason to wear diapers, even if it was only for sleeping.

But then I started to crave my night diapers more and more until I started using them for daytime as well... and here I am almost 6 years later happily wearing diapers to bed every single night for bedwetting, and also diapered 24/7 for almost 3 years because diapers are the best underwear ever!
What an interesting post! Since it appears that your bedwetting is caused by nerve damage sustained in an accident, why didn’t you lose nighttime continence and indeed daytime continence right after the accident?

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, Pino, DinoFrant and 1 other person
tango79 said:
I am fighting with type 2 diabetes right now (along with a few other issues). I've got my A1C down to 6.0 from 6.5 without meds. Now to keep loosing weight and aim for 5.5 or better. Theoretically I should be able to "cure" it but the discipline and lifestyle changes are monumental and hard.
Good luck in your efforts to conquer this debilitating disease.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
gobphus said:
What an interesting post! Since it appears that your bedwetting is caused by nerve damage sustained in an accident, why didn’t you lose nighttime continence and indeed daytime continence right after the accident?
The dr's easiest explanation was that the shock caused a short circuit that went on and off for weeks until it went permamemtly off.

Still, to my good luck it only affected the communications between sphyncter - brain while inconscious, so I have no continence issues if I'm awake. Daytime diapers are only my personal choice for security and comfort.

Considering the accident I had and how lucky I was for not getting severly injured, I'm very grateful to be dealing only with sleep wetting -and the ocassional sleep pooping.

NappiedTruckDriver said:
Yep early 40’s for me so started wearing at night 2018ish and now wearing 24/7 since 2022 as I was having day time issues
As for the night wetting it can be hit n miss unless I’m tired or drunk and it’s a 99% certainty
Now also got nerve problems in my lower back which causes me LH leg pain
Also a coeliac an neuroempahy is a side effect of it as well

• Wow
DinoFrant said:
The dr's easiest explanation was that the shock caused a short circuit that went on and off for weeks until it went permamemtly off.

Still, to my good luck it only affected the communications between sphyncter - brain while inconscious, so I have no continence issues if I'm awake. Daytime diapers are only my personal choice for security and comfort.

Considering the accident I had and how lucky I was for not getting severly injured, I'm very grateful to be dealing only with sleep wetting -and the ocassional sleep pooping.
Yes, you seem to have a lot to be thankful for. Even having to wear diapers at night is not a burden, since you also choose to wear in the daytime.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and DinoFrant
Diabetic related nerve problems cause my incontinence and nightly bedwetting.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, NannaAnnabelle and 1 other person
Mine is stress related started when I was 38

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, diaperdude and 1 other person
Whilst I wet the bed as child up to aged 6 and then again from 11-14 I was the dry pretty much until a neck injury in my mid 20s. The resulting nerve damage caused me to start wetting the bed again but I was initially still able to control my bladder or at least feel my bladder during day. Unfortunately that did not last and started to lose control during the day. To start with the drug Desmopressin that I took to try and manage my bed wetting caused me daytime instability and then with further spinal issues I steadily lost the feeling of needing to wee. At night when I lie down I lose feeling from the waist down and during the day have constant numbness and tingling and cannot feel the need to wee until I actually feel my nappy getting wet, though I am otherwise completely mobile (bar my recent hip op!)
As a result what started as a bed wetting problem and wearing nappies again at night is now a 24/7 problem. But I can think of a lot of worse things to have to deal with.

Reactions: Diprs2, diapeybabybrian, Edgewater and 1 other person
Tenaman said:
Whilst I wet the bed as child up to aged 6 and then again from 11-14 I was the dry pretty much until a neck injury in my mid 20s. The resulting nerve damage caused me to start wetting the bed again but I was initially still able to control my bladder or at least feel my bladder during day. Unfortunately that did not last and started to lose control during the day. To start with the drug Desmopressin that I took to try and manage my bed wetting caused me daytime instability and then with further spinal issues I steadily lost the feeling of needing to wee. At night when I lie down I lose feeling from the waist down and during the day have constant numbness and tingling and cannot feel the need to wee until I actually feel my nappy getting wet, though I am otherwise completely mobile (bar my recent hip op!)
As a result what started as a bed wetting problem and wearing nappies again at night is now a 24/7 problem. But I can think of a lot of worse things to have to deal with.
I completely agree compared with a lot of things life can throw at you incontinence is a minor inconvenience.

Reactions: Zeke, Diprs2, NannaAnnabelle and 1 other person
As
Wetshisbed said:
I completely agree compared with a lot of things life can throw at you incontinence is a minor inconvenience.
a very late bedwetter growing up, I felt a lot of shame. It didn’t seem so minor at the time. I wonder whether it would have helped me feel less shame if my bedwetting had resulted from an illness or accident.

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
gobphus said:
As

a very late bedwetter growing up, I felt a lot of shame. It didn’t seem so minor at the time. I wonder whether it would have helped me feel less shame if my bedwetting had resulted from an illness or accident.
Perhaps. My problem was I just didn't care. I wet the bed so what! As a kid I was far from the only one there were several kids in our street that wet the bed until they were about 9 or 10 and one like me who wet well in to his teens. My cousin wet until he was 17. I knew it wasn't normal but my bedwetting never bothered me so I never made any effort to stop.

Wetshisbed said:
Perhaps. My problem was I just didn't care. I wet the bed so what! As a kid I was far from the only one there were several kids in our street that wet the bed until they were about 9 or 10 and one like me who wet well in to his teens. My cousin wet until he was 17. I knew it wasn't normal but my bedwetting never bothered me so I never made any effort to stop.
You were lucky not to care.

Did any of you leak at first then wet fully?

princessarya said:
So I never had any bedwetting or incontinence issues until the last 4 or 5 years. As a child I had a strong bladder and while I had the occasional accident, it wasn't anything to worry about. Then I started waking up wiuth a squirt of urine in my pj's and then it slowly grew to where it is now, where I need to wear diapers to bed, even though wearing them guarantees I wake up wet (vs not wearing and having a 50/50 shot). So I was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar, where they never had issues until their 20s/30s/40s?
In my 60's I came home from the hospital after a month and a half with COVID the Doctor did not believe me. A few years back I injured my back so EXRAYS. L4 & L5 have some issues not bad enough for surgery. Then the nerves in the back legs and stomach legs and blood flow (ultrasound). The Doctor doing the nerve testing gave me some could be this or maybe that blood flow. It could be this or that maybe. I now wear it 24/7 and live my life I lived to be wheeled out of the hospital, so I do not quit.

Back