Anyone here tried to network linux machines?

nwm

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I have a desktop that runs ONLY linux - although a multi-boot with a few distro, most to experiment with them, them main one I use is Mint Xfce edition. I have a laptop I an trying to network it with (mainly to share hard drive space) THat has Windows on it due to warren tee on it - but RARELY is Windows actually booted or it - again, mainly Mint Xfce - but in that case from an external hard drive for now. (wanted the laptop - not the OS you were forced to take with it - man give me the days back when if you bought a computer - that is all you got - an OS was separate!)
This is something I have never attempted before - more in to repaire/upgrade and some programming (local use stuff) I managed (somehow) to get the machines to "see" each other (even under Windows looking at the Linux only box) but can not get either to access the others HD or anything else - anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

it depends on what you are doing, if it's simple file sharing then try:-

Access a Windows shared folder from Linux, using Nautilus
  1. Open Nautilus.
  2. From the File menu, select Connect to Server...
  3. In the Service type: drop-down box, choose Windows share.
  4. In the Server: field, enter the name of your computer.
  5. Click Connect.
or if you want a full hook up then try this (works on Ubuntu, can't guarantee it on mint)

1. get two ethernet cables and a router.
  2. connect the computers via the router.
  3. make the Ubuntu computer into an ssh server by installing openssh-server.
  4. make the Windows computer into an ssh client by installing WinSCP or Filezilla (in Windows)
  5. connect via WinSCP or Filezilla and transfer the files.
or

have a look at - https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001636.htm

Really just depends on how you want to share the drives .. if you are sharing the drive as a windows drive you can just enable file sharing on the network and connect to it as a server. There are a multitude of ways to do it... btw my setup here is a Unix firewall (pfSense) I run Ubuntu in server for my Samba share SMB/CIFS, and all is patched through a Motorola 6524 switch with two Extreme Networks APs... my Custom built NVR for Ubiquity cameras is its own network. DE94299C-97BF-4277-AE22-88A72CC2BCF9.jpeg

Back