anyone have a camper?

landingxray

Est. Contributor
Anyone have a kimbo camper for the back of a midsize truck like a tacoma? what about a scamp? What are your thoughts?

I've got one. It's a Lance model my late father in law had from michigan. They have their good and bad points.

I really like being able to drive somewhere and not have to worry about getting a hotel. I only use it like 2-3 times a year though. Mosly for camping and visiting relatives durning the holidays. There's no roughing it, and you don't have to pull a trailer. The rest of time I have it unloaded in my back yard to save on gas.

I really, really, really, really wish I had powered legs stands though. Manually cranking it up is a tiresome pain in the butt. Driving with it loaded takes a LOT of getting used to. It makes the truck incredibly top heavy, and high wind gusts or big bumps can really wake you up. I've never felt unsafe or like I was going to tip over though.

You will also want to get extended side mirrors too as it creates big blind spots. Make sure to get a good memory foam mattress as it will absorb minor rocking from the truck's suspension. Oh, and get some solar reflective shade material. Cut it to fit the windows around the bed so passing car lights won't wake you up.

Reactions: landingxray
Just bought a new camper last August and pulled it to Co. And back it's about a 23 footer no slides .
I pull it behind my 2001 Cummins.

landingxray said:
Anyone have a kimbo camper for the back of a midsize truck like a tacoma? what about a scamp? What are your thoughts?
heh
When I travel, is use motels/hotels, to get to where I want to go.
Once I hit the 'Trail'?
I pack-in my gear/housing, to the remotest place I can manage.
I prefer enjoying 'Nature', w/o any hint of humanity, when possible.
Of course, different strokes for different folks. Travelling/'Camping' while in your vehicle (of whatever make/model)?...
I suppose it's kinda like layers. Some folks prefer more 'Modernism'. Others, less.

FYI, The OP is asking about an in-the-bed camper that fully fits in thre bed of a pickup and has a bed that extends over the cab of the truck. No pulling a trailer required, and no roughing it either.

yah I'm looking for a camper for my 2017 canyon truck. I have been using a tent for years and I would like to upgrade one of they years.

Oh, I almost forgot. Make sure your truck is fully rated (1 ton minimum), AND make sure the tires are "S" or "T" rated. The tire rating means it's built for highway speeds while under a greater load. You typically have them pressurized to 70+ psi as well, which also allows for heavier loads.

Reactions: DiaperedStag
Slomo said:
Oh, I almost forgot. Make sure your truck is fully rated (1 ton minimum), AND make sure the tires are "S" or "T" rated. The tire rating means it's built for highway speeds while under a greater load. You typically have them pressurized to 70+ psi as well, which also allows for heavier loads.
Excellent advice!

Back