Another UTI

Pongoandperdi15

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Well this one seems a similar story for me I've lost track of how many Ive had this year it must be somewhere near the 20s and I'm not even exaggerating, some have made me feel awful some have just appeared and been in the background. This one appeared last Wednesday after a migraine on Tuesday I can only assume the dehydration from throwing up caused it but can't be sure your never sure where or how you acquire them. Doctors appear to be taking a different approach this time they are sending off the urine sample and awaiting the results before medicating which I can't decide what I think about that on the one hand I agree, I've been on so many antibiotics this year I don't want another course for no reason but on the other hand I just want this infection out of my body and to be honest Id really like them to stop.
So tomorrow morning I've got to send off a sample and then I've got a long 72 hour wait to see what the results say I'm just hoping things don't get worse for me so far I feel perfectly normal, slight discomfort when inserting catheter, obviously urine smells bag and is full of gunk and I've a slight ache from my back but in my self feel perfectly fine.
Any one got any advice when I do my catheter I wash hands for 25 seconds, wash all the downstairs area, part the hole and insert the cath in a smooth steady movement and if I feel any resistance at all I stop and come back and start the process again with a clean cath in a few minutes, Can't be more sterile than that. I drink as much as I can though the day to keep things going, the only thing I do know that I'm potentially getting wrong is timing usually I pull out 500/700ml of urine 4 times a day but i know your supposed to pull out no more than 400ml a time so realistically I should be doing it every 3 hours but with work that's just not practical, I'd have to kit out my works vehicle with a sink to be able to do that.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jorelaxed and Diprs2
The sample will enable the doctors to prescribe the correct antibiotics as well as measure the level of infection.
Nitro although the most common for utis doesn't treat all utis. It's more probable than being another infection its the same infection.
Easy way to explain is antibiotics half the infection each time you take one. So you will never fully rid of all bacteria and is why you should always complete the course even if you feel well. So although the antibiotics helped last time they didn't get rid of enough and it's now built back up to a level to cause symptoms.

Many people take maintaince doses of antibiotics for this reason, especially in high risk areas.

Is there a reason you don't have an indwelling cath ? That would reduce your risk of acquired infections.
Although your technique sounds clean, are you keeping your cath in its sterile bag and touching that with your hands to insert rather than the cath itself ?

Can you tell we were a nurse ? Lol. Have cathed many peeps.

Maybe chat to your inco nurse and check your technique and at least put your mind to rest.

Keep hydrated as much as you can.

Hugs x

Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
To add.

You might be able to mix a hybrid of indwelling and self cath.

If you know your going to be at work and unable to cath, place an indwelling before you go and it can be capped off to prevent urine leakage. Then when your three hours is up, pop to a toilet, uncap and empty into the toilet as you would normally. Recap until home when you can remove.

Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
I don't have to cath. But i do get UTI'S now and then. Last one i was septic. Spent a week in the hospital.

• Sad
Reactions: Jorelaxed, Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
Pongoandperdi15 said:
Well this one seems a similar story for me I've lost track of how many Ive had this year it must be somewhere near the 20s and I'm not even exaggerating, some have made me feel awful some have just appeared and been in the background. This one appeared last Wednesday after a migraine on Tuesday I can only assume the dehydration from throwing up caused it but can't be sure your never sure where or how you acquire them. Doctors appear to be taking a different approach this time they are sending off the urine sample and awaiting the results before medicating which I can't decide what I think about that on the one hand I agree, I've been on so many antibiotics this year I don't want another course for no reason but on the other hand I just want this infection out of my body and to be honest Id really like them to stop.
So tomorrow morning I've got to send off a sample and then I've got a long 72 hour wait to see what the results say I'm just hoping things don't get worse for me so far I feel perfectly normal, slight discomfort when inserting catheter, obviously urine smells bag and is full of gunk and I've a slight ache from my back but in my self feel perfectly fine.
Any one got any advice when I do my catheter I wash hands for 25 seconds, wash all the downstairs area, part the hole and insert the cath in a smooth steady movement and if I feel any resistance at all I stop and come back and start the process again with a clean cath in a few minutes, Can't be more sterile than that. I drink as much as I can though the day to keep things going, the only thing I do know that I'm potentially getting wrong is timing usually I pull out 500/700ml of urine 4 times a day but i know your supposed to pull out no more than 400ml a time so realistically I should be doing it every 3 hours but with work that's just not practical, I'd have to kit out my works vehicle with a sink to be able to do that.
Are your catheters single-use and pre-lubricated? If not pre-lubed, are you using single-use packets of sterile lube? If not single-use catheters, what can you do to be sure you aren't re-introducing bacteria into your bladder from the catheter? Just thoughts that came to mind.

Reactions: Diprs2 and BigAl2
Pongoandperdi15 said:
Additional thoughts: If you use medical-grade hand sanitizer and single-use disinfectant/wipes like are used before Foley catheter insertion, and don sterile gloves, you can be more sterile than that. Add to that a jug to catch urine, and a secure cap for the jug, and a bag for disposable items, and you can manage without adding a sink to your works truck.

Perhaps due to your repeated UTIs your insurance might cover sterile gloves and such, if your doctor prescribes them?

Hope this is practical and helpful!

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
Ok so bit more of the back story is I've been on antibiotic prophylaxis for 4 months become resistant to one type of antibiotic (cephalexin), got moved to another (trimethroprim) and have now developed resistance to this.
My catheter technique was checked by the nurse a few weeks back they said it was ok just the frequency was a little off, their solution was to find toilets while out at work or ask customers I see if I can use the loo not always easy. So there's usually a good 6 hour gap between me doing one catheter and then another.
Foley catheters come with significantly higher risks of UTIs and more severe infections, while I've had a lot of UTIs over the past year they have never progressed further than a lower one and none have been severe, yes I picked up a few bugs that were quite dangerous (one of them was while I had a Foley inserted for a short period) the abx and to a degree probably my body have always fought them off, urologists in the UK will avoid long term Foley catheter use as they don't see it as the best form of care anymore and most are actually wanting to see Foley catheter use significantly reduced. They also have other downsides such as mineral deposits building up, urethral damage.
I use a single use pre lubricated sterile catheter from coloplast, they are in a hard plastic tube so there is no contamination risk until it comes out of the packaging. Coloplast provide me with disposal bags and alcohol hand gel the biggest problem I have at work is the state my hands get in hence the need for the sink, I can similarly end up in a filthy state so my dilemma was if I'm disgustingly filthy is that not detrimental in its self hence my desire to wait till I get home to have a shower and get clean.

Ask for some sterile packs used for cath insertion.

District nurses use them to cath patients.

The gloves and sterile field will help you while at work.

I've an appointment with urology in a few days I'm going to press to find out what the next steps are, mean gloves are worth an ask, I just wish coloplast would provide them, they add them to the leg bags you get if you order the condom catheter I mean obviously the leg bags are multi purpose (condom cath & Foley)

Do you use a leg bag ?

anonnymouse said:
Do you use a leg bag ?
No I had one for two weeks when I had a Foley cath in last October, it was hell on earth and I got a hospital acquired psudenomas infection

Ah just bags that are reused are a prime source of infection.

Sample came back today positive for E.coli so I'm on a two week course of nitrofurantoin at last. Doctors are rubbish though just a text to say been prescribed no welfare check considering I gave the sample on Tuesday add to the fact my infection started on Wednesday the week before and have been without any antibiotics since other than the ones that it's resistant too I could have been in a right state by now. Luckily I'm not slightly uncomfortable at best.

Last edited:
Glad you've at least had an answer x

Fingers crossed for speedy recovery x

Reactions: AttilaThePun
Pongoandperdi15 said:
Sample came back today positive for E.coli so I'm on a two week course of nitrofurantoin at last. Doctors are rubbish though just a text to say been prescribed no welfare check considering I gave the sample on Tuesday add to the fact my infection started on Wednesday the week before and have been without any antibiotics since other than the ones that it's resistant too I could have been in a right state by now. Luckily I'm not slightly uncomfortable at best.
Unfortunately, a culture for finding out which organism is causing the problem does typically take about 3 days to grow bacterial colonies. A phone call to check on you *would* have been nice, though.

In any case, I'm glad they found out what's specifically causing your infection and got you on a course of meds. I hope your recovery is swift and complete!

Back