Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 0 guest views remaining

Airing the bottom out

blueberry

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Hope this isn’t too personal of a question. For those of you that do not have any control left do you intentionally set aside time to air yourself out? Obviously when bathing the diaper has to come off but is it something where in addition to using various powders and creams to keep the skin dry and healthy do you also make sure to spend a little extra time commando if you will at various times throughout the day? If your answer is yes then my follow up questions are; when do you air yourself out, how frequently, and do you ever worry about leaks during that time where a diaper is not on and doing its job?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Reactions: Diprs2, checkingoutall and Deleted member 63406
blueberry said:
Hope this isn’t too personal of a question. For those of you that do not have any control left do you intentionally set aside time to air yourself out? Obviously when bathing the diaper has to come off but is it something where in addition to using various powders and creams to keep the skin dry and healthy do you also make sure to spend a little extra time commando if you will at various times throughout the day? If your answer is yes then my follow up questions are; when do you air yourself out, how frequently, and do you ever worry about leaks during that time where a diaper is not on and doing its job?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Being full time IC
airing out is very important for the health of your skin. Just like parents do with little ones your skin also needs a break. Air trumps all creams & powders.
Take some time and air out.
Ill put a soaker pad on couch or computer chair. I will also do some chores with nothing on (with blinds closed of course)
There can be some dribbles to clean up but small price to pay to air out.

When airing out isn't an option I will use a barrier cream + powder to keep things dry. First sign of a rash extra zinc cream applied
I mostly live rash free
Change as soon as you can. Sitting in wet only damages the skin

Reactions: Diprs2, swirrll, jdinvirginia and 3 others
I generally give myself a break following a shower. My skin is clean. I self cath to make sure I'm fully empty. I throw on some loose cotton PJs. Then I sit or lay down on a large reusable bed pad for 45 minutes. I never have any leaking issues. But, if I'm having a rough day I won't take a break, as I am constantly dribbling and will not feel strong enough to shower.

Reactions: Diprs2 and EcoIncon
For me airing out is not just about skin care but also taking a mental break from diapers. I was an Abdl before I became incontinent. While I like wearing diapers, I still appreciate a break every now and then. It can be a challenge to air out. For me it’s even more difficult because I am naturally a fidgety and restless sort of guy.

I came up with a creative compromise which is to take off my diaper and wear junky clothes and do cleaning and other chores around the home. That way I’m doing something productive, and I have towels and cleaning supplies with me if (when) I urinate. I have hardwood floors so I just have to stay off any rugs and furniture. Then when I’m done I simply throw the clothes in the washing machine and take a quick shower and change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and EcoIncon
A few hours a day in a cloth diaper seems to do the trick for me. If it gets at all wet, I change it immediatel. Otherwise, they breath so well that my skin stays pretty healthy.

Reactions: Diprs2
although having to wear protection 24/7, my main attention goes to status of my skin down there, not on airing out according any time schedule. As long as my skin down there has absolutely no issues (which never happened since being IC) I see no reason for a somehow scheduled airing out.
Of course I'm also trying not to stress out my skin too much. Using high quality diapers (being defined PH neutral for several hours), only CF-backed (gives my skin possibility to breath), changing after latest 8 hours, if at home washing with soap and washcloth or showering with each change, and, after cleaning, often drying my skin completely with help of a hair dryer seems to be enough for me.
After showering my bladder is always completely empty :), then drying as described before, putting on a fresh diaper usually lets me stay dry for up to two hours, which is for the skin a quite comforting time window... Never using any creams or powder or anything else!

As I am IC and wear diapers 24/7, airing out the "diapeer area" is an imortant part of skin health. Like SparkyDog, I often put a cloth booster pad on a chair. Another approach is to sit on an opened disposable diaper. When done, just tape it up. It does not matter whether you already have leaked a bit.

Yes it best to air out that area of your skin plus its differently healthier also !!
I do like to air out for about 20 minutes after my bath until I'm pretty much dry, as much as I can anyway !

To be honest, I didn't give much thought to airing out for the first 25 years of incontinence. If I felt heat/irritation I would use Desitin at bedtime for 2-3 nights and all was fine. But for the last 4 years I'm in a constant state of irritation down there from radiation treatments 10 years ago. My physical therapist has now put in my records that a skin barrier (vaseline, Desitin, etc.) should be applied to the area at all times to prevent skin breakdown. Airing out has become very important now as a result. I don't mind smelling of Desitin at bedtime, but I do mind during the day. So now I'm looking for the best barrier cream for daytime that doesn't have that telltale smell.

CheshireCat said:
Airing out has become very important now as a result. I don't mind smelling of Desitin at bedtime, but I do mind during the day. So now I'm looking for the best barrier cream for daytime that doesn't have that telltale smell.
I air out my skin almost daily. Desitin has a unique aroma. I don't mind the smell. At least when I'm at home. Not so much during out in public. Because of occasional BM accidents, I use internal deodorants and plastic pants with my diaper. I use Desitin to protect my skin. I think my plastic pants help hide the smell of Desitin and any BM odor. I admit that I use Polo cologne (like it) and Coppertone lotion (love it) to disguise any Desitin or BM scent.
I'd like to have a better barrier ointment (something with zinc ) that isn't so smelly.

greatlake5 said:
I'd like to have a better barrier ointment (something with zinc ) that isn't so smelly.
My feelings exactly. I'll let you know if I find something.

Reactions: Diprs2 and greatlake5
greatlake5 said:
Desitin has a unique aroma. I don't mind the smell. At least when I'm at home.
For those of us who have never used it, how would you describe the smell?

slimjiminy said:
Kind of a medically smell. It's not unpleasant. Just a sterile antiseptic scent. I'm sure others might notice. It's strong.

slimjiminy said:
Like a baby being put to bed!

greatlake5 said:
I air out my skin almost daily. Desitin has a unique aroma. I don't mind the smell. At least when I'm at home. Not so much during out in public. Because of occasional BM accidents, I use internal deodorants and plastic pants with my diaper. I use Desitin to protect my skin. I think my plastic pants help hide the smell of Desitin and any BM odor. I admit that I use Polo cologne (like it) and Coppertone lotion (love it) to disguise any Desitin or BM scent.
I use Sudocrem as that is a mix of Castor oil and Zinc in a fairly thick paste that spreads nicely and will even stick to wet skin, it does not smell too much either.
Widely available from the usual sources.

Reactions: Diprs2 and NotTheAverageMan
Best treatment for nappy rash but make sure everywhere protected !

Last edited by a moderator:
I air out once a week or so by spending a day without my nappy or anything else on my lower half and putting on Sudocrem, sitting on pads or one of my nappies helps me avoid worrying about having an accident. Being naked on my lower half was only a problem back when I had a roommate, but I would usually confine myself to my room when they were around and I would make sure they knew before so they didn't just walk in on me or anything like that. Now that I live with my lover, it's naturally not too much of a problem...

Last edited:
CheshireCat said:
My feelings exactly. I'll let you know if I find something.
Calmoseptine isn't too bad, though the trade off is is it's a thick pink paste that will stain anything it touches.

Reactions: Diprs2 and CheshireCat
Napincolove said:
I use Sudocrem as that is a mix of Castor oil and Zinc in a fairly thick paste that spreads nicely and will even stick to wet skin, it does not smell too much either.
Widely available from the usual sources.
Im also using sudocreme, its really good to prevent rashes or sore skin. It also contains a formula which helps with the annoying itching in the diaper area.
my wife have started to use it too, due to itching in the bikini area.

Reactions: Diprs2 and CheshireCat
Back