A.C.E. Inhibitors and incontinence?

rothpirate

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Has anyone here been prescribed A.C.E. Inhibitors for high blood pressure? Did it effect your incontinence?

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Whether one is IC or not, it is important to be an informed user of medications.

Regarding A.C.E. Inhibitors and its published list of side effects. A quick check and it is found that although rare, one's kidneys can be effected. As you know, our kidneys is an intrigue part of our urinary track.

With the ever increasing number of medications now available, it is very important to have a discussion with one's Doctor regarding the interplay between the medications one is already taking and of course any new medications being offered.

The quick answer is; talk with your Doctor and Journal any changed that may occur if you choose to start or continue its use.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
When I was prescribed Perindopril (an A.C.E. Inhibitor), the dose was increased slowly with close supervision of blood work, to check on kidney response. I don't think it has had any effect on my IC.

Can sometimes cause you to pee more.

• Thinking
Fishy said:
Can sometimes cause you to pee more.
The short answer is yes.
The long answer is ADISC does not allow providing such advice!
Especially in the Incontinent Forum!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
I should have been more specific, I am going to wind up on this in a month or so. I was just asking if anyone had any experience on this, I am not looking for advice, just experience. I’ve seen my doc and he has given me a month to get my BP down naturally. An Ace inhibitor will be the first step if we can’t get it done with herbs and vitamins and exercises. He knows about my diabetes insipidus and bladder nerve damage already. Didn’t mean to break any rules here.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
My urinary IC is diagnosed as a combination of two causes; First one (there urge part) is neurological and those urges I had since decades - but never were an issue. If an urge built up, I simply "clamped" my bladder sphincter muscle for a few seconds and the urge faded away.
Second cause is my bladder sphincter: since a heart stroke after extremely high blood pressure, heart surgery and a cocktail of meds I have to take until the end of my life there are a few of those meds which not only suppress the heart beat rate and the blood pressure but also can have an effect on bladder (and sphincter) muscles - and I'm one of those where this side effect is obviousley very strong. So, as an result, I have often for some hours an uncontrollable urine dribbling and on the other hand if since then an urge hits (which comes much more often and heavier than in earlier times) they don't fade away any more but build up very quick to pain until I can't hold any more.

My blood pressure and heart problems were solved with the surgery and the meds I have to take, after that I changed my lifestyle with loosing some weight, quit smoking /vaporing, starting daily fitness activities, switching to healthy food and pure water instead of Softdrinks - this all increased my health status to a level I didn't have in the last 20 years. So, no, I had no problems accepting my IC. Wearing diapers does not limit me from any activities, I have an understanding and supportive wife, and in my eyes it's only a minor issue. My eyes are bad, so I wear glasses since decades, now my bladder struggles, so I wear protection - so what?!? There are much, much more annoying things which might happen with getting older, my IC doesn't cause any pain (as long as I don't try to hold in), I have no mobility limitations, it's easy to manage, in my eyes I can be quite lucky with my fate! My doc agreed after deep discussion - as long as I have no issues with wearing protection - to leave it as it is and only start to play around with additional meds or other options whenever I'm not comfortable any more with it

Yes, meds which lower blood pressure and/or heart beat rate (I need several meds for both), don't necessarily, but can also influence someones continence

• Love
If they do have side effects why not ask for a blood pressure pill like candesartan or amlodipine. These are the two that I am on and I have not noticed any side effects except that when I was on Amlodipine alone and a higher dose than I am on now I was quite dizzy. They reduced the amlodipine and added the candesartan. They have kept the PB steady for over five years now.

Reply to: Fishy and rothpirate

If I recall correctly, salt tends to allow the body to hold more water in areas that make it more difficult to return to the heart, like your feet. As a result, reducing salt intake will help reduce your blood pressure. What seem controversial is that increasing your water intake to assure that your blood is exchanging fresh moisture for heavier to your kidneys and flushing your system, which reduces your blood pressure.

As a result diet is very important and if you are on the heavier side, look a means of reducing weight. More activities and reducing intake by cutting the size of meals.

Your Doctor should have provided you recommendations of reducing blood pressure, Work hard a following them. High blood pressure kills!

My comments early were targeting the limitations we are under. Nothing of what I have provided you will assure that you will pee more, but will help in clearing your blood, which easies blood pressure.

I don’t know about how they affect incontinence, but ace inhibitors suck ass. I was prescribed them for high blood pressure. They made me cough like a chain-smoke smoker. I tried several others before I just decided to take matters into my own hands. Started getting more active and eating the right foods. All Pharmaceuticals are some form of poison. If you can get yourself off of them you’re much better off. Don’t believe the bullshit. They’ll tell you that you need to be on that shit for the rest of your life. It’s a bullshit lie.

Back