Any advice on a good wireless headset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'd like to get a wireless headset for my PS4 and Switch, something that is pretty good, and doesn't cost much; I'm not looking for "the best headset out there" which probably costs $100s, just something that is good and doesn't cost too much money.

It changes with the tech, and availability. I find a good way to find new stuff is to go on to Amazon and search for what you're looking for. The first part is to sort everything by price: low to high. Next, and this is the key, on the left side, sort that list by 4 or more stars. This will eliminate all of the products that consistently fail, as well as everything too new on the marked to have any ratings at all. Be very careful with the results though, only look at products that have ~100 reviews. Too often you will get 1 single, 5-star review that doesn't accurately reflect product reliability.

Just looking at the results I under this criteria I can see a number of earbuds for under $20 which should all perform ok unless you're looking for high-end audio. If you're looking for actual over-the-ear headphones then those seem to start around $50.

ps. NEVER buy anything from Amazon with more than 20% combined 1 and 2 star ratings. This literally means that 2 our of 10 products, or 20%, will fail almost right away. WAY too high of a failure rate to even bother with that product. That's when you know you really are getting what you pay for, and what you paid wasn't enough.

I have been working a fair bit of overtime each week, so I don't have to go with something really cheap, and yes I want over the ear headphones, $50 is probably enough for a decent product, but I could do $100 or even $150 on the high end if it is worth spending the extra money.

I know some headsets go for 200-$400 or $500+ but that is probably where you are either getting a marginally better product or just outright paying for some famous "high end" maker - akin to how "beats by Dr Dre" are hyped up and sell well because his name is attached to the product.

I think gaming accessories costing as much or more than the actual video game systems is kinda insane, that's why I didn't get PSVR with its $400 retail, make that $200 and maybe I would be tempted, but even then for me to care about VR there needs to be lots of amazing games and I dont think it's that far along yet.

But $100 or so for a gaming headset would be worth it for online gaming as that's only the cost of a few games anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back