Apt. Showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatsMice

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I got a call from my building manager that they were going to show my apartment tonight. The problem is that I'm out of town right now -I left last night- to visit family. I don't want them to show my place because I didn't have a chance to clean up, so it's a complete mess right now.

I have a package of personal items out in the open (diapers) that I don't want anyone to see. I tried to explain to the lady that I was out of town, and she was real snippy with me, which I did not appreciate. It's a freaking holiday weekend! Plus I received no prior communication since giving my 2 months notice that they would be showing my place at any given moment.

I feel like it is really unfair to me for them to spring this on me. If I was out of town, it wouldn't be a big deal, but I am 3 hours away. I called the management company and left a message. I just really hope they don't show it before I get a chance to put my things away.

Well, it's mostly the fact that my apartment is trashed right now, and they were so demanding and rude about it. They were not willing at all to be understanding of my situation.

Your lease likely has something that says when they can or cannot show it. Usually they have to give a warning. If you've got a copy I'd give it a read, specially if its digital

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Bladderbrain said:
Your lease likely has something that says when they can or cannot show it. Usually they have to give a warning. If you've got a copy I'd give it a read, specially if its digital

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This. I rent a small apartment which just so happens to make my parents my landlords; the rules here still state that landlords (Even with them being my folks) are only allowed to enter the apartment without notice basically if its deemed an emergency. So building on fire and you may be stuck inside, hears you calling out for help, things of that nature. Otherwise, 24 hours notice has to be given. It can be argued that she did technically give you notice, but given the whole out of town issue, was it really notice if you arent actually able to be there.

Basically a quick websearch of your province/states regulations should give you an idea if you have a foot hold, but on the other hand if you are moving out they do have the right to show the apartment. (Honestly if I was a landlord I would want to make sure it was tidy though.)

EatsMice said:
So I got a call from my building manager that they were going to show my apartment tonight. The problem is that I'm out of town right now -I left last night- to visit family. I don't want them to show my place because I didn't have a chance to clean up, so it's a complete mess right now.

I have a package of personal items out in the open (diapers) that I don't want anyone to see. I tried to explain to the lady that I was out of town, and she was real snippy with me, which I did not appreciate. It's a freaking holiday weekend! Plus I received no prior communication since giving my 2 months notice that they would be showing my place at any given moment.

I feel like it is really unfair to me for them to spring this on me. If I was out of town, it wouldn't be a big deal, but I am 3 hours away. I called the management company and left a message. I just really hope they don't show it before I get a chance to put my things away.

That's because it is unfair to you. Potentially illegal too, depending on where you live. Rental owners cannot, by law, just say they will be accessing your apartment. They must give reasonable notice, often a day or two in advance.
https://www.allpropertymanagement.c...ovide-tenant-notice-to-enter-rental-property/

Slomo said:
That's because it is unfair to you. Potentially illegal too, depending on where you live. Rental owners cannot, by law, just say they will be accessing your apartment. They must give reasonable notice, often a day or two in advance.
https://www.allpropertymanagement.c...ovide-tenant-notice-to-enter-rental-property/

Agreed, check your rental agreement, and make sure it's in line with the law too. There's nothing stopping them from claiming they can do things that they can't legally do. It's common in customer agreements, sometimes due to ignorance of the law and other times simply due to them wanting to be able to get you to voluntarily surrender your rights for their benefit.

I usually see 24 to 48 hrs required notice for inspections. But if you're out of town for the weekend (or the week!) you may not have a choice, and in those cases you should simply make sure your place is "presentable" when you leave for a stretch of time that won't allow for you to get back and clean up / pick up before the inspection.

Also don't forget some things can be negotiated. If you have given notice you're not upping your lease, or have been given notice your rent's going up or they're kicking you out, they probably really want to show your place. BUT... if not, they may simply be wanting to show potential renters to other apartments (or to any unit in your building) an example of their properties. In that case simply asking if they can show some other place may get you out of it. You may just be convenient, the first on their idea list, or the best looking place in their mind at the time they made the call, and it may be flexible. Ask them if it can either be put off or if they can show some other apartment. Don't act nervous though or their spider sense will tingle and they'll want to do a closer inspection thinking you have some damage you want to hide from them ;)

As long as you're paying the rent, they can't enter, if Judge Judy is correct. I would look at your lease however, though I'm guessing you did take it with you since you're on vacation. Still, I think you can tell them that they'll have to wait until you return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back