Moving to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downey935 said:
Check out Dalhousie university in Halifax. Lots of beautiful areas around there but hope you like snow and rain.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

A bit like the English Halifax then but more snow

freechris said:
It's a line of work in the computer programming industry that takes data and makes statistical predictions with it for a variety of business purposes. I hear there's a crying need for such people but not enough people to fill those vacancies. It seems like a lot of countries have this issue. It's a new emerging field.

Do you have a postgraduate degree in Mathematics with some concentrations in statistics?

Having lived and worked in Canada and the US, I have some observations. First, if you're actually got an advanced mathematics and statistics background your career opportunities are bright. You will not care about the economy or the health care system on either side of the border because you will have a great job with excellent benefits. If you don't have the qualifications, be prepared for a significantly more difficult ride both at immigration as well as employability. Canadian employers are a lot more conservative and credentials-focused; I have found in the US people value experience and practical knowledge over credentials by a large extent.

If you don't have the advanced math degree, check that you actually qualify on the points scale here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...election-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html

Third, finding high tech jobs outside of Toronto and Vancouver may be a challenge. The Maritimes are a beautiful place but jobs are significantly fewer and worse-paid. Tech jobs especially are clustered, on both sides of the border. You are likely to follow the work and your employer, rather than the other way around.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back