Reusable Nappies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko03

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm considering buying some reusable nappies but would like to hear what experiences others have had with them. I'm not sure what they are like for absorbancy or if they leak or what they'd be like if I pooed in one. I would be using them in public so not leeks is very important. I'm most interested as I feel they would save me a lot of money in the long run by not having to buy dispoables.

Yes to the economical advantage. The initial expense is larger than disposables, They have a feel to them that disposables can't reach. If you have a 24 inch (58 cm more or less) the Gerber flat diapers have a price parity to store brand disposables, 12 to a package. Then you need pins or simply sew in snaps or buttons, (this is the low end price, the quality is par with the ready made ones) and plastic/rubber/or nylon waterproof knickers) and access to a washing machine. As I was born before Pampers were invented I have a preference for the feel of them. oopsies I forgot you need a diaper bag. That's a very big essential. They wear out after a couple of years (the nappies.) and if you use the separate PVC or rubber knickers are very susceptible to growing holes from poorly placed diaper pins. Takes a little bit of prevention.

But the feel is incredible. Wearable ecstasy (the emotional peak, not the dope). Also you can customize the thickness, the bulk simply and to whatever comfort you wish.

Last year I got 2 cloth nappies from http://www.snuggleblanks.co.uk and there brilliant, I only really use mine for wetting and while I've worn the the thinner one in public, if you count driving, I wouldn't really consider them ideal for use public as there hardly discreet and none of my jeans will fit over them.
I try to avoid messing if possible, I expect the clean up would be horrific, as I'd normally use the back of the nappy to scrape off as much poo as possible, which is ok with disposables, but trying to rinse and scrub all the stains out the nappies, nah.
As for costs an adult pocket nappy is about £25 from snuggleblanks, that includes a trifold, since I normally only wear at home I'll normally put a normal sized bath towel in too to really bulk them out, so that's around £30, you'd need around 4 of those and you'd always be washing / drying 2 of them, since the climate here isn't great for reliably line drying, I need to tumble dry plus the 2 hour intense wash cycle, I say the cost of the electric and water, if you stay in a water charge area, probably comes to more than disposables.

i use cloth almost exclusively for night time use. i got mine from www.baby-pants.com and have had good luck with them lasting. i also use the thicker gary "tuffy" pant for durability. if you want more absorbency just add a layer. i love cloth and wish i could just use them in the daytime but we all know society is judgmental and quite mean. i am 24/7 medically in diapers after car accidents.

HappyNappin said:
Last year I got 2 cloth nappies from http://www.snuggleblanks.co.uk and there brilliant, I only really use mine for wetting and while I've worn the the thinner one in public, if you count driving, I wouldn't really consider them ideal for use public as there hardly discreet and none of my jeans will fit over them.
I try to avoid messing if possible, I expect the clean up would be horrific, as I'd normally use the back of the nappy to scrape off as much poo as possible, which is ok with disposables, but trying to rinse and scrub all the stains out the nappies, nah.
As for costs an adult pocket nappy is about £25 from snuggleblanks, that includes a trifold, since I normally only wear at home I'll normally put a normal sized bath towel in too to really bulk them out, so that's around £30, you'd need around 4 of those and you'd always be washing / drying 2 of them, since the climate here isn't great for reliably line drying, I need to tumble dry plus the 2 hour intense wash cycle, I say the cost of the electric and water, if you stay in a water charge area, probably comes to more than disposables.

That's what I remember about London, (my dad was USAF and the RAF base where he was assigned was near a borough South Ruislip, which at the time was about at the far edge of the London universe.) Rain. Lots of rain. A candy shop and a fish and chips shop on the largest street. The candy store had licorice whips on a spool, buy it by the foot. I was there when Kennedy got assassinated in Dallas. That long ago. The fog was perfect for me. I was a weird kid. We had a gas meter pay-as-you-go, with a coin slot. I fancy the same setup with the lights and water. Seems a very civilized method, here there's the unnatural urge to use more than you can pay. Encourages catastrophic debt. I was almost 5 when we came back stateside. But what little I picked up at the time, your country has a strong thrift ethic. I'd think disposable anything would hardly be an easy sale. Decades later (like 2001) my sister was in the Air Force as a sergeant, coming back from her last post in Sicily, had a stopover at Heathrow and wanted to treat her daughter to fish and chips meal, of the old style, but couldn't find anything. McDonalds and Taco Hell and such, Arthur Treacher's and the most barbaric and nasty tacky about America. America isn't all like that. That's what our corporate overlords push onto every other nation.
I choose austerity mostly because austerity chose me.

And of course that goes well with the cloth or plastic debate. That and cloth has a lot more artistic flair about them.

- - - Updated - - -

HappyNappin said:

That's what I remember about London, (my dad was USAF and the RAF base where he was assigned was near a borough South Ruislip, which at the time was about at the far edge of the London universe.) Rain. Lots of rain. A candy shop and a fish and chips shop on the largest street. The candy store had licorice whips on a spool, buy it by the foot. I was there when Kennedy got assassinated in Dallas. That long ago. The fog was perfect for me. I was a weird kid. We had a gas meter pay-as-you-go, with a coin slot. I fancy the same setup with the lights and water. Seems a very civilized method, here there's the unnatural urge to use more than you can pay. Encourages catastrophic debt. I was almost 5 when we came back stateside. But what little I picked up at the time, your country has a strong thrift ethic. I'd think disposable anything would hardly be an easy sale. Decades later (like 2001) my sister was in the Air Force as a sergeant, coming back from her last post in Sicily, had a stopover at Heathrow and wanted to treat her daughter to fish and chips meal, of the old style, but couldn't find anything. McDonalds and Taco Hell and such, Arthur Treacher's and the most barbaric and nasty tacky about America. America isn't all like that. That's what our corporate overlords push onto every other nation.
I choose austerity mostly because austerity chose me.

And of course that goes well with the cloth or plastic debate. That and cloth has a lot more artistic flair about them.

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking at the available lower cost plastic knickers, on Amazon and ebay, came across something I'd forgot. Bariatric or Menstrual panties =reusable training pants/pull-ups, in some nice colors. Mommy wow, I'm still not a big kid now... And of course they can be layered to one's comfort and tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back