Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contacting Other DL's

Default Contacting Other DL's

I didn't know where to put this so feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

I recently discovered through chance that someone I have mutual friends with is a DL too. We live and work very close to each other (basically just 2 floors difference). I am still debating if I want to contact this person or not. Would it be weird or creepy for me to contact this person on Facebook or something? The person is a member of this site but I just don't know if contacting them is appropriate. I would love to meet them and talk to them since I have never known another person (in real life) to be a DL too. Any thoughts?

Hi InfamousRhino, I would start with small interactions. Like a smile and nod when you see each other in the building. Then after a few days go to coffee or something. Be casual about it. As you said it could get ackward.

That seems to be a very unique occurrence, and this wouldn't be an experience that I would pass up. But like CanadianGal said, make some efforts to interact IRL first.

If I may, how did you learn that he/she is a DL in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBaker View Post
    That seems to be a very unique occurrence, and this wouldn't be an experience that I would pass up. But like CanadianGal said, make some efforts to interact IRL first.

If I may, how did you learn that he/she is a DL in the first place?
    Honestly I wasn't looking but I found an old post by the person while looking for a related answer to a question. After that I just used Facebook and looked them up from mutual friends. I know, kind of creepy but I couldn't help myself knowing someone right under my nose was a DL too.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousRhino View Post
    Honestly I wasn't looking but I found an old post by the person while looking for a related answer to a question. After

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousRhino View Post
    that I just used Facebook and looked them up from mutual friends. I know, kind of creepy but I couldn't help myself knowing someone right under my nose was a DL too.

Hm. That is a bit tricky... I would still stick with getting to know them first followed by light but complete honesty about it. If you two are reasonably acquainted and this person is exactly who you think they are, then I don't see how this can't unfold relatively smoothly. Caution is key, but be completely honest with how you got the information. I totally get you about wanting to know, and I'd probably do the same.

I would actually recommend contacting them here on ADISC first with a PM, if they're a regular member, and take it from there. I would get kind of freak out if someone just approached me out of the blue in real life about anything relating to this.

Quote Originally Posted by INTrePid View Post
    I would actually recommend contacting them here on ADISC first with a PM, if they're a regular member, and take it from there. I would get kind of freak out if someone just approached me out of the blue in real life about anything relating to this.
    This is probably a good idea. Or otherwise I'd mention you came across he is a DL like you, via a private message on facebook.

Count me as another one for "contact them here, first". They already know and trust this site with knowledge of their DL side, but like many here I'm sure they keep it well hidden from public view and might get uncomfortable if someone asks them about it. They might even cold deny it. Try sending them a message here and waiting a week, if no luck after that, then I'd guess the only way to go is as previously mentioned, get to know them a bit then be straightforward about it.

I'd say no, make no effort to contact him. it could send him over the edge!