Regression as a Coping Mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleShadowbolt

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I'm from the US and it's been...a little crazy out here, to say the very least. People have been fighting a lot, and everyone seems really scared, and uncertain, and angry. In response, I've been finding myself slipping into regressive habits without fully meaning to.

Usually, I have pretty good control over my little self. I'm able to slip into into it naturally, but snap back into adult mode when I need to. But lately, I've been finding myself sucking my thumb a lot more,even waking up i the morning sucking on it. And also, I've been finding myself using childish words and phrases in company where I should be the adult. I've been wearing my emotions on my sleeve when I should have them bottled up, and I can't quite seem to be away from my stuffies for long without missing having something to cuddle up to.

Bottom line, I've been stuck in little mode, and I slip into it whenever people start arguing or getting upset, like adult me is running away from the issues at large and retreating into a calm, childlike state where I don't have to worry about anything.

The logical adult side of my brain sees this, and doesn't feel too happy with it. But whenever I'm in that moment, I don't care what adult me thinks, I want to eat cookies, watch cartoons, and suck on my thumb, you know?

Uhg.

Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Do you have any advice? Am I going crazy? Is this healthy?

Please help?

Are you going crazy - NO!

This hasn't happened to me but I think I can relate. I'm in the US too and the last couple of days have been 'crazy'.

We all have different ways of coping.

This past Wednesday I went to the theater to see Dr. Strange to help take my mind off things and I have been taking longer naps this past couple of days.

I think you will get into a more 'normal' routine as things settle down.

Hope this helps.

LittleShadowbolt said:
I'm from the US and it's been...a little crazy out here, to say the very least. People have been fighting a lot, and everyone seems really scared, and uncertain, and angry. In response, I've been finding myself slipping into regressive habits without fully meaning to.

Usually, I have pretty good control over my little self. I'm able to slip into into it naturally, but snap back into adult mode when I need to. But lately, I've been finding myself sucking my thumb a lot more,even waking up i the morning sucking on it. And also, I've been finding myself using childish words and phrases in company where I should be the adult. I've been wearing my emotions on my sleeve when I should have them bottled up, and I can't quite seem to be away from my stuffies for long without missing having something to cuddle up to.

Bottom line, I've been stuck in little mode, and I slip into it whenever people start arguing or getting upset, like adult me is running away from the issues at large and retreating into a calm, childlike state where I don't have to worry about anything.

The logical adult side of my brain sees this, and doesn't feel too happy with it. But whenever I'm in that moment, I don't care what adult me thinks, I want to eat cookies, watch cartoons, and suck on my thumb, you know?

Uhg.

Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Do you have any advice? Am I going crazy? Is this healthy?

Please help?

Hi LittleShadowbolt

It all OK you are just being who you are a Little we have a different way of coping with thing. And we really don't like any conflict as we won't everyone to be happy a play nicely. When every is OK I find I can do adulting but find it hard wen I not ok.

I think you need to not worry about being who you are as it can be hard to hold up the adult face mask when all you need is hugging and have a rock. I sergest you give your self time in Little space if posable.

This way when it is time to come back up you feel better and able to deal with the silly grown ups.

It only become unhealth when we just stay in little space all the time.

I hope that is help full to you. And your not a lone and it OK to be who you really are on the inside.

Sisi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back