Booster Pad advice

BeTrue

Little diapered toddler boy who loves Jesus
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I would like to get some tips on using booster pads effectively. I've only ever tried using them once and it wasn't a good experience. But I know many of you use them successfully and even consider them essential.

Without getting overly graphic, what is the best placement within the diaper for a biological male? For both comfort and effectiveness?

Also, what brands are good? Thanks!

Reactions: PearlandDL, GeorgeG and PadPhilosopher
What have you tried and how did it go wrong?

That being said, I have used boosters from Abena and other brands that are specifically made to go in diapers. I also use overnight incontinence pads in diapers as well. The pads have plastic on the bottom for leakage protection. They aren’t really made to go in diapers, but I use them anyway. Many boosters don’t have a lot of SAP as compared to pulp. That way it absorbs very quickly and transitions moisture through booster to the diaper. The overnight pads have a lot of SAP and swell up quite a bit. I actually like that, personally. Never had any boosters or pads cause leaks, though.

Reactions: PearlandDL and PadPhilosopher
You'll get a plethora of answers to this topic, but here's mine.

I don't use regular booster pads. I've been using Luvs and Pampers for years. I put 2 in my diapers. 1 in the front and 1 in the back. They have a scent and can be easily changed if you have h&l tabs. Swell factor is another reason I use them. They swell up and make for a thicker diaper.

Reactions: GeorgeG, PadPhilosopher and CLPP
Place the booster pad to match the end of the padding at the front of the diaper and make sure its properly placed between the leak / leg gaurds
if the booster goes over you basically have instant leaks
Make sure you get a flow through booster as some booster pads have a plastic back and then nothing flows into the diaper
I try to always point my anatomy down so you don't pee out the top of your diaper.

I use the tranquility booster pad inside an Abena L4 (plastic version)
I've got tons of booster pad experience if you have more questions let me know

Reactions: PearlandDL, chamberpot, TigerDL and 2 others
I use largest incontrol, and largest abu, but have the best luck with womens most absorbent Walmart brand pad, cheap and only 1/2'' shorter than the ab/dl most absorbent pads, I like to wet laying on my back or on my tummy so as a boy I put pad on top of inside of diaper and it goes as high as I wear the diaper to mid butt area, although I still do leak once in a while cause I get so happy in my wet diapers that I like to tickle myself in a wet diaper. Last night I wore two boosters on top of each other, leaked a little by left leg opening with two it gets very bulky which I love, but my diaper was hardly wet at all except by left leg because I must have been pointing left in my diaper

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
It you carefully cut your diaper open from the outside at the back below the waistband, you can detach the outer plastic from the padding and put your booster in between. Then just tape the slit closed. This works fine with Tykables and Rearz at least. I have not tried on any other brands.
But, if your booster has sticky tape that is meant to keep it in place it might be hard to put it in, and if you leave the tape protection on it will not expand right. So I use two boosters with the sticky side against each other. It still fits inside the diaper.

This way the booster wont swell above the leakguards, everything will be spread out more evenly as well.

• Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
I very rarely use a booster pad as I target my diaper to provided the needed volume for the needed time I will be wearing that diaper.

As noted by SparkyDog assure that you keep the booster(s) properly placed between the leak / leg guards. NOTE: Most inexpensive diapers either do not have leak guards or have short one's that over-flow with normal use.

If I do use a booster pad, I use NorthShore's as I just include them as part of my pre-schedule shipment of MEGAMAX diapers.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and SparkyDog
SparkyDog said:
Place the booster pad to match the end of the padding at the front of the diaper and make sure its properly placed between the leak / leg gaurds
if the booster goes over you basically have instant leaks
The leak guards are often adhered to the front part of the diaper, so they only start lifting about half way down the height of the wing. Do you place the booster all the way up the front of the padding toward the waistband, or keep the front of the booster below this leak guard detachment line?

Reactions: Edgewater
Place it in the area that you most commonly wet!

Reactions: SparkyDog
I use a pull up for a booster, I cut slits in the outside of the pull-up so it allows the wet to migrate into the diaper, I hardly ever have a hint of a leak and really I soak it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
Northshore XL inside a Rearz bedry every night. Never leak. Change around 12 hours

I've used rectangular boosters, Kiddo in ABDL style diapers and Ontex iD in medical style diapers. Never had an issue. Slightly fluff both diaper and booster. Make sure the booster goes all the way down the middle between the standing leak guards. Then I use cornstarch powder down the leak guards and centre, and cream or ointment on myself.

As you put on and after, make sure the booster is still central front to back, and the leak guards still "standing" (not flattened). Waist tapes first. Use external hand pressure for a bit of careful shaping to enclose your crown jewels, and then tape up flat seam (reasonably tight, but don't overdo it) around top of your legs.

Never had a leak issue.

(Note: exception, if you wet while lying on your side, then you're going to have a leak issue eventually anyway.)

TigerDL said:
The leak guards are often adhered to the front part of the diaper, so they only start lifting about half way down the height of the wing. Do you place the booster all the way up the front of the padding toward the waistband, or keep the front of the booster below this leak guard detachment line?
to prevent leaks always prepare your diaper by placing your fingers on either side of the leak gaurd and run them front to back to make sure they are standing up right
place the booster where the leak gaurd start
placing it too high where no leg gaurds are could cause leaks

SparkyDog said:
to prevent leaks always prepare your diaper by placing your fingers on either side of the leak gaurd and run them front to back to make sure they are standing up right
place the booster where the leak gaurd start
placing it too high where no leg gaurds are could cause leaks
Do you detach that section at the front and back that are adhered to the padding? I thought those were meant to be glued down. I also asked about it in another thread: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/how-far-to-lift-detach-leak-guards.185927/

No don't detach.
The very top front & back usually glued flat
not many diapers have back & front gaurds aka blow out preventers
you just want to rub your fingers along the leg gaurds front to back so they arnt laying down from packing & shipping
what diaper are you using?

Reactions: TigerDL
SparkyDog said:
No don't detach.
The very top front & back usually glued flat
not many diapers have back & front gaurds aka blow out preventers
you just want to rub your fingers along the leg gaurds front to back so they arnt laying down from packing & shipping
what diaper are you using?
I use various ABDL brand diapers. I had wondered what people meant when they say to make sure the leak guards are up, because in my experience I don't think I've seen them stuck to the diaper except that section at the front and back that is meant to be glued down. I put my boosters below that point so the leak guards are able to act on the sides of the booster. It's good to know that's indeed how other people do it too.

Yup you're doing it right!
they arnt always flat but always good to make sure
sometimes they stand up on their own other times just needs a bit of help

Reactions: TigerDL
As an IC member I typically use Abena (plastic backed). I don't use a booster everyday but I do use mine for sleeping every night. For quite a long time I've used Tranquility TopLiner contour booster. As long it stays inside the leg guards they're fine.

BeTrue said:
I would like to get some tips on using booster pads effectively. I've only ever tried using them once and it wasn't a good experience. But I know many of you use them successfully and even consider them essential.

Without getting overly graphic, what is the best placement within the diaper for a biological male? For both comfort and effectiveness?

Also, what brands are good? Thanks!
It is worth trying not official boosters but other pads/nappies. Someone earlier mentioned baby nappies as inserts, and I use tena men level 2 s. I fold the wing bits, and make sure they are positioned at the front within the leg guards. tip of willy against the top, about an inch down. When full, I just remove it , putting a new one in, or continue to use the nappy. This is comfortable, and quick. And efficient. I have found actual inserts a bit hopeless. they feel wet and seem to fill up quickly.

GeorgeG said:
It is worth trying not official boosters but other pads/nappies. Someone earlier mentioned baby nappies as inserts, and I use tena men level 2 s. I fold the wing bits, and make sure they are positioned at the front within the leg guards. tip of willy against the top, about an inch down. When full, I just remove it , putting a new one in, or continue to use the nappy. This is comfortable, and quick. And efficient. I have found actual inserts a bit hopeless. they feel wet and seem to fill up quickly.
Sure you can use baby diapers as a booster if you want
but you have to modify them
cut of the tapes and cut a few slits in the outside of the baby diaper so the fluid can pass through to the adult diaper

Reactions: GeorgeG
Back