If you had to buy a car right now what would it be?

meretrix

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Starting to look into cars to replace aging cars. Always had SUV but considering a truck. What’s been your favorite cars and reasons why.

Reactions: Woncrinklz and Edgewater
I love my 2019 Nissan Titan. It was either that or the F-150. I chose the titan because it was lower in cost, drives better, and I don’t have to worry about theft cuz the F-150 is one of the highest stolen vehicles in USA. I’m not all into bells and whistles. It is also 4x4 so that came in handy when I went to Colorado and for hunting off trails.

Reactions: ShyBoo81 and Edgewater
I would not buy a "NEW" car, truck, or SUV because the vast amount of electronics onboard and their ever increasing failures, commonly on the ground (-) side and normally in their wiring harnesses, which are loved by rodents.

I would target an older, larger, SUV of the late 1990's from the lower Southwest of the USA. Using an RS Frame and with current technology drive train, brakes and suspension. Using the most current crate engine (aluminum), ten-speed (aluminum) auto transmission and multi-speed (aluminum) transfer case. Designed and tuned to meet or exceed 2024 emissions and milage. Results 1990's registration taxes and DOT requirements, with current, but limited electronics on-board, but not the silly stuff or reporting and controls of the manufacture (and/or government) that new car, truck and SUV's suffer.

The features of a new but, with the advantage of old.

• Love
Reactions: KendallP, Woncrinklz, ElPulpo and 3 others
Mercedes Sprinter or VW Crafter. My VW T4 is sometimes too small to get some car loads.

Reactions: Edgewater
@Edgewater finding older cars now is starting to get quite difficult
they've usually rusted or drove into the ground
and unfortunately even cars from early 2000s which is over 20yrs old have fair amount of electronics

but avoid the cars that are subscription based for features at the very least

Reactions: KendallP, denimchicken, Edgewater and 1 other person
I want the new Roadster that keeps getting delayed. 8s 1/4 mile unprepped on street tires. 0-60 in 1s, etc.

Ultimate FAFO nuclear weapon on wheels. Bugattis and Demons rolling up pissing themselves on sight and forgetting they left the stove on and have to turn. 🤣

One of my favorite things in life is watching the smug drain out of someone's face and seeing someone used to having their way with anybody turning white as a ghost as they slink down in their seat powerless and wish they were invisible.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShyBoo81 and Edgewater
LittleAndAlone said:
I want the new Roadster that keeps getting delayed. 8s 1/4 mile unprepped on street tires. 0-60 in 1s, etc.

Ultimate FAFO nuclear weapon on wheels. Bugattis and Demons rolling up pissing themselves on sight and forgetting they left the stove on and have to turn. 🤣

One of my favorite things in life is watching the smug drain out of someone's face and seeing someone used to having their way with anybody turning white as a ghost as they slink down in their seat powerless and wish they were invisible.
Odd reconciling this with "Independent little with a fragile heart of a child". :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JensBabyGirl and Edgewater
Well that's a complicated question since I'm a classic car collector. But perhaps one of the cars I have my eye on will help you out too. I'm tracking down a 1983 Chevy Caprice. That particular bodystyle (box, 1980 redesign) continued till 1990. I like '83 because it has quad sealed beam headlights and 3-piece square tail lights. I love that set-up while after 1985 the tail lights changed to more like segmented rectangles and the headlights went to composite bars. Now, doesn't matter which year you get, you're gonna find one with a 305 V8 which is one of the most dependable engines out there. The Caprice is a popular family car and saw a TON of use in all kinds of fleets from cop cars to taxis and they're the kind of cars that those who used to drive them would eagerly take them over the models they use now in those fields, even with all that modern tech stuff. Try a 1990. If you're so inclined you could also find a coupe in some years and a station wagon in most (great for station wagon tailgate diaper changes!) They're great beginner classic cars.

At the end of the day, they're common, comfortable and classy cars that have proven themselves to be long-lived and dependable with a vast amount of NOS and aftermarket parts available that you can work on yourself. The cost of ownership, even factoring in fuel economy is WAY below what you'd be forking over for a new car in its entire planned obsolescence useful life- no rebuilding a 2017 nissan rouge.

Besides, if you're green then don't forget all the carbon emmissions that go into building every new car from plant to plant to transport to transport. they're made up of more than 15,000 different parts, and some of those parts travel halfway around the world before they even go in the thing. All that's already done years ago in a classic, its basically free.

SparkyDog said:
@Edgewater finding older cars now is starting to get quite difficult
they've usually rusted or drove into the ground
and unfortunately even cars from early 2000s which is over 20yrs old have fair amount of electronics

but avoid the cars that are subscription based for features at the very least

the problem with your cars is Canada likes to rot things before their time, and is really weird about repair. I have a friend who lives in Quebec and he haaaaaates working autobody because everything comes in more rust than metal, even stuff under 5 years old. Here in the states, even where its bad, its not THAT bad. We have cars still daily driven by the first owner who bought them in the 50s and 60s rolling around.

Reactions: KendallP, Edgewater and TrashPanda01
MudPuppy said:
Odd reconciling this with "Independent little with a fragile heart of a child". :ROFLMAO:

I'm childish and kind hearted but if someone does malice toward me all they will know is vengeance and fear.

Ask everyone who ever bragged or revved or raced me when all I had was a slow beater what happened when I got my next car with three times their horsepower.

🖕🤨🖕

You can only break my heart once. After that you will live a cursed life because I will never ever let that go.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShyBoo81, Edgewater and SnepperStepper
Bruh. Lol. I have 9 ford pickups from 76-97 in various degrees of ill repair in my yard. 4 in legal drivable condition. The rest are for stealing parts or wood/farm trucks. My daily is only 3 yrs younger than me, and my backup is older than my gf. I can advise you that if you have time and mechanical inclination, this is the correct route as none of them come with a payment or high insurance.

Reactions: Edgewater and TrashPanda01
Currently looking to replace my ageing (2015) Volvo XC90. Amazing car and by far my favourite I've owned. A peach to drive, super comfy with loads of space for the kids and all of the clutter that comes with them. Feels like luxury but very understated, looks at home in the car park of Waitrose just as much as Aldi.

BUT she's absolutely awful for fuel, I'm lucky if I average 25mpg in town and with a few pricy repair bills likely on the horizon, I feel it's probably time to replace after 3 years of mostly trouble free ownership.

Have been looking at the Audi Q7 (likely around 2018/2019) provided I can find a good one under £20k.

If I was forced right now for whatever reason, lets say both of my cars had something happen to them. The only option that meets my performance mandate is the Tesla Plaid.

However I don't really want it, I want something even way faster. Besides Plaid has been out too long so everyone else has had ample time to have their "Plaid killer" just around the corner. Would be the worst time to get one now.

When it comes to large purchases like this Im typically patient and bide my time and save my money. I like to sit back and watch everybody else commit and fight it out then make my move when something extraordinary makes its debut. Every once in a while well get a performance improvement on a vertical asymptote that flips the market upside on its head and leaves all the prior top dogs in the dust by several orders of magnitude and it takes them a decade to catch up. And that's where I'll be waiting.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t buy a new one honestly. A great car to buy is a e92 m3 (09-2013) You can get a good deal on one for 20-30k. If you can keep mileage down I do believe this car is in the sweet spot where it has depreciated as much as it going to and value likely will appreciate. Super fun car and one of the best sounding v8s! Only m3 to ever come with a v8 as well which is why it will appreciate.

Reactions: RojasPuraVida and Edgewater
MudPuppy said:
My first car was very cheap slow and modest. Then I learned a very hard lesson about how anonymous people treat each other in public places when I was always their easy target. Always big egos and asserting dominance when they have more money or something better than you. Ever since that I don't leave anything on the table for others to target. I'd rather they see something way out of their league and stay away. Don't start nothing won't be nothing. I only ever wanted to be left alone. Bullies only understand the threat of vastly superior and unstoppable force. And now it's my life's purpose to maintain that unstoppable force when technology marches on and allows the bullies a chance to catch up.

Like I said in the prior post, anyone who wants to mess with me only gets once chance in their lifetime to do so and never again.

Last edited:
I'd love to have a 1975 Cadillac Fleetwood hearse. Grocery shopping would be so much more fun! Can you imagine that beast in the parking lot? It'll take up two spaces... lengthwise!

As a 12 or 13yo I wanted to be a funeral director, and I always thought hearses were cool because of how they looked, but their purpose was even more interesting 🤓

A ROLLS ROYCE phantom

Reactions: meretrix, Deleted member 69668 and Edgewater
I've a problem with replacement with some parts for my VW - it has 20 years/300 000 km.

meretrix said:
Starting to look into cars to replace aging cars. Always had SUV but considering a truck. What’s been your favorite cars and reasons why.
I am pretty biased about Hyundai cars as I have had two in the last 20 years and both were very reliable. The first was a 2005 Sante' Fe SUV and in 9 years the only thing needing a fix was the radio would not shut off the first week I had it. The dealer swapped it out right away for a new one. My next ones was a 2014 Hyundai Tucson and it has been a fabulous SUV, so I am happy with my choices. I may get the Genesis Version of Hyundai SUV next.

I'd say the Plymouth Prowler, but since it sucked so badly as a sports car that didn't even have a manual transmission...I'd say an early 90s Camaro. They looked mean and usually had a mean driver to match the look, and IDK why, it just stuck with me. Those were my favorite, besides the classics of course. Those are the coolest. Classic American muscle cars. Particularly the Plymouth Superbird. A car so fast and rare, only 126 were ever built and they were too even too fast for NASCAR. Not to be confused with the Dodge Daytona, which is another rare gem with its distinctifying features that makes it so eye wateringly sexy.

Reactions: JensBabyGirl, Angelapinks and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
I would not buy a "NEW" car, truck, or SUV because the vast amount of electronics onboard and their ever increasing failures, commonly on the ground (-) side and normally in their wiring harnesses, which are loved by rodents.

I would target an older, larger, SUV of the late 1990's from the lower Southwest of the USA. Using an RS Frame and with current technology drive train, brakes and suspension. Using the most current crate engine (aluminum), ten-speed (aluminum) auto transmission and multi-speed (aluminum) transfer case. Designed and tuned to meet or exceed 2024 emissions and milage. Results 1990's registration taxes and DOT requirements, with current, but limited electronics on-board, but not the silly stuff or reporting and controls of the manufacture (and/or government) that new car, truck and SUV's suffer.

The features of a new but, with the advantage of old.
Love the resto mod. I want to do it to my 04 Chevy

Back