Goodnites Innovation 2023?

Ok I’m confused. I finally bought the new boys XL and tried them out. It has to have been the worst experience I’ve had with Goodnites XL. They leaked everywhere. I was really hopeful because the old XL almost never leaked. They felt different. Less crinkly plastic lining. I put them on and I immediately noticed the higher rise and the roomier fit. It felt different between my legs. Very hard to explain. They felt loose but the leg gathers could be felt against my skin. The padding feels more dense yet lighter. About the same thickness. I’m used to flooding these and I’m surprised how quickly and how much they leaked. I’m hoping that was just bad luck. This might be a bad batch.

The L I bought had a better fit than the old ones but they had a tendency to leak. I think it’s due to a more narrow middle padding.

Thought I’d try again this morning and take it slow this time. Still leaked. I don’t understand. I almost never had this problem with the older XL. Anyone having trouble with the new XL?

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: JohnQDiaper, Spiro910 and TigerDL
I don’t know I haven’t had any issues at all with leaks…with the new xl…they have been very absorbent

Last edited:
Reactions: I12BLittle89
I12BLittle89 said:
Thought I’d try again this morning and take it slow this time. Still leaked. I don’t understand. I almost never had this problem with the older XL. Anyone having trouble with the new XL?
No problems with them leaking at all for me.

thefurealfriends2 said:
I don’t know I haven’t had any issues at all with leaks…with the new xl…they have been very absorbent
DanElmontan said:
No problems with them leaking at all for me.
I’m highly disappointed. All this build up to the new design and there’s an opposite result than expected. Everyone seems to be having better experiences. I am curious if they have a looser fit. Even though they have taller leak guards and wider padding. The looser fit is causing leaks.

I12BLittle89 said:
The crotch area is very much on the narrow side. I sure hope some ABDL's didn't cause Goodnites to have to make this drastic change. :(

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy and I12BLittle89
12srepaid said:
The crotch area is very much on the narrow side. I sure hope some ABDL's didn't cause Goodnites to have to make this drastic change. :(
I was just about to say something. I used another one just now and there was dampness around the leg cuffs. I took a closer look and found that the narrow padding I saw on the L is the same thing I’m seeing in the XL. This has to be it.

Why would ABDLs cause this?

The padding has always been shaped like that. Even the ones I used to buy back in the early 2000's did. I'm fairly certain this isn't a padding issue. It sounds like the materials might not have got the hydrophobic treatment that good and it's letting fluids through where it's not supposed to. Or the topsheet got some of the hydrophobic treatment and it's not letting fluids pass through fast enough.

I would test one with water to see what's going on. Figure out some way to hold one up spread out as much as you can. It will work better if you tear the sides so you are able to more closely observe what's happening. Start with a small amount and see how long it takes to pass through the topsheet. If the water just sits there then it got the hydrophobic treatment. You can further prove this by shining a light through the water and the surface of the topsheeet will appear shiny. Even sparkle a bit. If that's not the case then fill it so there is plenty of water sitting against the leak guards. Check for fluids flowing through the leak guards, leg gathers and/or around the bottom at the side of the backsheet.

If you observe a failure of any kind it should be reported on the Goodnites website. If not then I would say you must be doing something different with these than you have in the past. I have used the new version and it actually holds better than the previous ones even though they are only a quarter of an inch wider between the leg gathers. Pretty incredible that such a small change can make that difference.

Reactions: alexiosrediapered and TigerDL
Joediaper said:
The padding has always been shaped like that. Even the ones I used to buy back in the early 2000's did. I'm fairly certain this isn't a padding issue. It sounds like the materials might not have got the hydrophobic treatment that good and it's letting fluids through where it's not supposed to. Or the topsheet got some of the hydrophobic treatment and it's not letting fluids pass through fast enough.

I would test one with water to see what's going on. Figure out some way to hold one up spread out as much as you can. It will work better if you tear the sides so you are able to more closely observe what's happening. Start with a small amount and see how long it takes to pass through the topsheet. If the water just sits there then it got the hydrophobic treatment. You can further prove this by shining a light through the water and the surface of the topsheeet will appear shiny. Even sparkle a bit. If that's not the case then fill it so there is plenty of water sitting against the leak guards. Check for fluids flowing through the leak guards, leg gathers and/or around the bottom at the side of the backsheet.

If you observe a failure of any kind it should be reported on the Goodnites website. If not then I would say you must be doing something different with these than you have in the past. I have used the new version and it actually holds better than the previous ones even though they are only a quarter of an inch wider between the leg gathers. Pretty incredible that such a small change can make that difference.
The padding has always been narrow there but it appears to be more narrow than previous versions.

Reactions: JohnQDiaper and 12srepaid
I12BLittle89 said:
The padding has always been narrow there but it appears to be more narrow than previous versions.
It seemed wider with the Sam's Club Goodnites. "Gap Free"

12srepaid said:
It seemed wider with the Sam's Club Goodnites. "Gap Free"
I did a side to side "measurement". The SCG are definitely wider. The new version is very narrow.

• Sad
Reactions: TigerDL
I'm finally over in the States for the first time in a long time. Need to try and look up a picking up a pack.

I12BLittle89 said:
I’m highly disappointed. All this build up to the new design and there’s an opposite result than expected. Everyone seems to be having better experiences. I am curious if they have a looser fit. Even though they have taller leak guards and wider padding. The looser fit is causing leaks.
Have not had any leaks issue with the boys or girls version. Are you dryer fluffing them first before wearing? Throw them in your dryer with the NO HEAT setting for 10-20 minutes. The SAP will loosen/fluff up making them absorb even quicker.

Cribbin said:
Have not had any leaks issue with the boys or girls version. Are you dryer fluffing them first before wearing? Throw them in your dryer with the NO HEAT setting for 10-20 minutes. The SAP will loosen/fluff up making them absorb even quicker.
Never had to do this before with the previous size XL. I’ll give it a try.

Cribbin said:
I12BLittle89 said:
Never had to do this before with the previous size XL. I’ll give it a try.
I've said this before and I'll say it again. This is not a good idea... You never know when a diaper is going to open up and lose its contents. They're not meant for that kind of abuse. That is not a mess you want to clean up, and it's a fire hazard, even without heat. I've encountered plenty of diapers that weren't well sealed. Also, the SAP crystals are small enough to work their way out through the weave of the top sheet. Ever noticed gel balls on your skin after wetting a diaper? That's because it doesn't all stay contained. Sure, some of it may be stray stuff that was just sitting on the surface, but...we're talking granules that are significantly smaller than a grain of sand when dry. They're rather difficult to effectively contain.

You don't want that stuff getting out and gumming up the workings of your dryer, or working its way into the heating system of the dryer. The gaskets on dryer drums are not meant to seal out particulates that small. Those gaskets are often made of fabric, too. Is suspect that dry SAP may also be abrasive enough to wear down those gaskets, as well. The edge of a diaper is also just thin enough that it could get entangled between the drum and the gasket, and nothing good will come of that. Heck, I've seen hair get into that spot and wreak havoc.

Sorry to go on a rant, but this is a safety issue. Not to mention, if you wreck your dryer, do you really want to have to explain to the repair person why there are shreds of a diaper entangled in it?

Last edited:
Reactions: southeastlittle, JohnQDiaper, wetnights and 1 other person
I12BLittle89 said:
I was just about to say something. I used another one just now and there was dampness around the leg cuffs. I took a closer look and found that the narrow padding I saw on the L is the same thing I’m seeing in the XL. This has to be it.

Why would ABDLs cause this?
Maybe when some ABDL's do stupid stuff, and it hits the internet, it would be considered bad publicity.
That's probably the big reason why Pampers makes Ninjamas so small.

12srepaid said:
Maybe when some ABDL's do stupid stuff, and it hits the internet, it would be considered bad publicity.
That's probably the big reason why Pampers makes Ninjamas so small.
I really don't think we have as much power over their decisions as people think. (not saying we don't have any just probably not main focus)

I feel its probably just them worried about losing their brand image as THE baby product.
It really isn't that hard to make diapers, meaning brand loyalty/power would play a significant role in sales.

Goodnites already hold that age group like a vice grip ,so it probably made more sense to target the in-between ages ,since they already have a good hold on those ranges.

Maybe in the future if parents keep sticking with them as they get older, we might see them grow but probably not until risk vs reward is good for them.

Do it by hand then, hold the Goodnites and slowly, between thumb, use circular motion to fluff them up. The only reason they are as thin as they are is to save volume for the packaging and then shipping process i.e. money. The product appears to be shrunk wrapped at the factory. Anecdotal evidence that the fluffed up versions absorb much faster than factory default. Have been fluffing for three years and dryer has not had any issues nor any visible SAP beads getting free.

Reactions: Tigondegra
My new gen Goodnites have only leaked around my bottom. Pretty much same as before, but it's too early to make that assessment.

I tried both the quicksorb from the old designs (Sam's Club exclusive) and the new designs in boys L and XL. They both seem to absorb a lot more and swell more. They feel more like Huggies. I can actually wet them laying down like a real bed wetter without leaking. I wear goodnites during the day now because I no longer worry about leaking if I wet them. I remember as far back as 2008 they leaked easily.

Reactions: Tigondegra, grst, TigerDL and 1 other person
Back