How to Better Diaper Yourself

Practice taping while standing and while laying. I get the best fit while standing against a wall. The most important thing is having the right size diapers to begin with. I fluff my diapers before I tape one on. I bring the front waistband to my bellybutton, center everything up. Front wings should reach the sides of your hips. Bottom tapes go on first medium height (too low makes uncomfortable, too high causes leaks). Top tapes should fall out 1-2” from waistband. Don’t tape up too tight, just snug. The tapes should not fall out on the hips (diaper too small) nor should they fall out almost touching (diaper too large) The elastics take care of everything else. Happy diapering!

Reactions: LainIsLain
I lay down on the bed to diaper. Thanks for all your advice, guys.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
I start by laying down. I fasten the two lower tabs first. Then I stand up and tap the top tabs. This seems to give me the most snug fit I have been able to get.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, LainIsLain and CrinklingCajun
This is how I can get the best fit for me. I start by kneeling down over the diaper. I fasten the top tapes with a snug fit high around my waist. Then I stand to fasten the bottom tapes and while looking in a mirror I make sure the tapes are symmetrical. I've tried to get a good fit laying down and I can get a good fit but if I stand I find I need it a little tighter. So I've been doing the final fit while standing and that seems to work.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Kymi
All sounds very good to me. I do it all standing but I might start by kneeling.
Thankyou

I don't think anyone has mentioned the "wings", or the usually ruffled lines on each side of your diaper that goes between your legs. It is very important (especially if you're a wetter) to tuck them in after you have fastened the tabs so they are between your diaper and your groin. Those wings act as dams and do a wonderful job of holding leaks at bay.

BobbiSueEllen said:
And don't forget to suck in your tummy when taping up! It'll make your diaper feel very snug and secure...just like a real baby's diaper. Snuggy-snug diapers are the best! 🧷🧷🥰🤗
Yes! This is an important point. Makes a world of difference.

DippyDawg said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned the "wings", or the usually ruffled lines on each side of your diaper that goes between your legs. It is very important (especially if you're a wetter) to tuck them in after you have fastened the tabs so they are between your diaper and your groin. Those wings act as dams and do a wonderful job of holding leaks at bay.
Oh, but those actually aren't wings. Those are called leak guards.

Reactions: KrankyPants, DippyDawg and BobbiSueEllen
Swollover88 said:
I wonder if size is a factor. I am using large Megamax. I am unsure what my waist size is. The thing is I wish I my Megamax fit as well as the Depend Fit-Flex Underwear large size. I wish I could have that fit, but with Megamax tape style and absorbency.
With diapers it always isn't about waist size.
You have to look at your waist AND hip sizes and use whichever one is bigger.
Unless you happen to have a really big belly.
Seems guys waist/hip measurements are usually pretty close (compared to women) but can make a difference in choosing your diaper size.

Also, Megamaxes tend to run big, so maybe ask NorthShore for a sample of the Meds to try and see if they work better for you

Last edited:
Hm...ok maybe, when I lose weight, I will sample some mediums. Thanks.

Practice makes you a master. But different diaper sizes and types require different tech.
Practice

Reactions: DippyDawg and BobbiSueEllen
Back