Another interesting design that just popped into my head...

freechris

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
What if there was a diaper that had a Glow-in-the-Dark wetness indicator? I personally would find that cool.

Reactions: littledreamers333, checkingoutall, Sheepies and 3 others
There was a batch on the Night time Pull-Ups that glowed in the dark, but I can't remember if the wetness indicator did glow in the dark or not, and I'm not 100% sure this can be done, wetness indicator is a special material, I'm not sure it can glow in the dark only when wet, I think it would glow all the time, and you would need to check if it changed colors to know if you are wet or not.

Reactions: CookieMonstah
I'd take a totally glow in the dark diaper, even without a wetness indicator.

Could stay up late, reading by diaperlight.

Reactions: KryanAshford, checkingoutall, BlueStringBean and 4 others
NinjaPizza said:
I'd take a totally glow in the dark diaper, even without a wetness indicator.

Could stay up late, reading by diaperlight.
Rearz Raven is glow in the dark, it’s a limited run and you can only buy them in packs of 2.

Reactions: Safari, chrischrischris, NinjaPizza and 1 other person
freechris said:
What if there was a diaper that had a Glow-in-the-Dark wetness indicator? I personally would find that cool.
Factories are unwilling to print with glow in the dark ink directly on the diaper, the only option is a glow in the dark frontal tape.

Reactions: AndyPandy, TigerDL, AmonQ and 1 other person
Now that would be something! 😃

Reactions: chrischrischris
PaddedBass said:
Rearz Raven is glow in the dark, it’s a limited run and you can only buy them in packs of 2.

Good God.

I love this kink. :love:

Reactions: Safari, BobbiSueEllen and AndyPandy
FYI I don't know of any self-luminescent materials that could be activated by urine.

Though a glow-in-the-dark print is certainly doable. Too late now I'm sure, but I'd imagine someone could come up with a "halloween themed" diaper that had a fairly busy print on it, that one part of the print (ghosts?) suddenly appeared in the dark? Doing that is mainly an issue of loading (solar-charged) glow in the dark paint into one of the color jets in the shell print. The shell rolls are raw material ordered by whoever's making the diapers, so the machines making the diapers aren't even involved in this step, so it could be pretty easily out-sourced by whoever's running the machine, just a matter of getting their materials supplier to modify a print and use some of the special ink. They're already using special ink for the wetness indicators so that shouldn't be too much of a leap for them.

The only problem is the limited appeal. I've seen a few runs of "christmas diapers", but none of them seem to sell well anytime outside christmas. ABU's Bunny Hopps came out right around easter but they appear to be continuing to sell well, probably based on the bunny cuteness and the pink theme, that still has appeal year-round. Halloween themes.... not so much. Maybe with some careful consideration they could come up with a goth / halloween crossover print, that would capture some of the market that Rearz Rebels have identified, for better all-year-round appeal?

Reactions: TigerDL
The diaper-community always thinking. I like it! 30 years ago it was the idea that adult diapers should be worn 100% in hiding and promoting such an embarrassment is not something "normal" people would do. Now that Goodnights and other themed colors & prints made it into the world and for big $$$, the adult community says "why not me also?", I might as well have something fun to look at. Glow in the dark diapers seem a cool niche especially at Halloween.

I am unsure if a glow in the dark wetness indicator strip is a big desire in the market. It does make sense for caregivers that may want this option when changing someone at night. Personally I would think if someone wets at night they should get a good night's sleep and only change in the morning when they get up. Although a caregiver may have a good reason to change someone if they are wet and if diaper rash is more of a factor and can't wait until morning light.

I would think that chemiluminescence would be preferable to photoluminescence here; off-hand, I don't know any water-activated examples. On the other hand, it might be worth using something other than the solvent as the trigger - one of the salts, maybe?

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and TigerDL
Luminol is activated by bodily fluids, such as blood and urine. Crime investigators sometimes use it to detect trace amounts of blood at crime scenes. However, it is not safe ("irritant to the eyes, respiratory system and skin, and that it may be harmful by inhalation, ingestion and skin absorption"), so wouldn't be able to use it in/on a diaper.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
TigerDL said:
Luminol is activated by bodily fluids, such as blood and urine. Crime investigators sometimes use it to detect trace amounts of blood at crime scenes. However, it is not safe ("irritant to the eyes, respiratory system and skin, and that it may be harmful by inhalation, ingestion and skin absorption"), so wouldn't be able to use it in/on a diaper.
Luminol is actually insoluble in water; it does react to heme, but you really don't want that present in urine. Additionally, it's not a terribly long lasting effect (on the order of 30ish seconds)

TigerDL said:

Is that self-illuminating, or does that just make it fluoresce in the presence of UV light?

CodyBaby said:
There was a batch on the Night time Pull-Ups that glowed in the dark, but I can't remember if the wetness indicator did glow in the dark or not, and I'm not 100% sure this can be done, wetness indicator is a special material, I'm not sure it can glow in the dark only when wet, I think it would glow all the time, and you would need to check if it changed colors to know if you are wet or not.
The wetness indicator didn't glow. They made a couple of versions the first being in 2012 with Cinderella Those were replaced by a Rapunzel/Doc McStuffins/Mini Mouse design in 2013 that lasted until 2016 when it was replaced by a Cinderella/Sofia the first design. The stopped using the glow in the dark feature when the brought back Belle in late 2017. Only the front of the diaper glowed, most of the time is was a outline of the Princess on the front. All except the first version were like that.

Last edited:
PaddedBass said:
Oh yeah I remember those but they were way too expensive for anyone to buy

Reactions: PaddedBass
bambinod said:
Is that self-illuminating, or does that just make it fluoresce in the presence of UV light?
It's chemiluminescent, no UV light required.
I would think for a glow in the dark wetness indicator, you'll need something with luminescence catalyzed by water; fluorescence is an option, but then you would need UV excitement to get a glow. Chemiluminescence is another option, but then you're limited by available reagents to drive the reaction. Realistically, I think the best bet would probably be a combination of the two, likely by impregnating the dye for the wetness indicators with particles in water-soluble coating so that they can't react until after urine is present.

pullups96 said:
The wetness indicator didn't glow. They made a couple of versions the first being in 2012 with Cinderella Those were replaced by a Rapunzel/Doc McStuffins/Mini Mouse design in 2013 that lasted until 2016 when it was replaced by a Cinderella/Sofia the first design. The stopped using the glow in the dark feature when the brought back Belle in late 2017. Only the front of the diaper glowed, most of the time is was a outline of the Princess on the front. All except the first version were like that.

I had some from 2004 with Buzz Lightyear on them, yup wetness indicator didn't glow in the dark, like I said, I don't think it is possible to do it this way, but I just found a youtube ad about them

CodyBaby said:
I had some from 2004 with Buzz Lightyear on them, yup wetness indicator didn't glow in the dark, like I said, I don't think it is possible to do it this way, but I just found a youtube ad about them
I didn't know they did that back in 2004. I guess you learn something new everyday.

bambinod said:
It is chemiluminescent, meaning it glows due to a chemical reaction. So it does not need UV light, just a dark room to be able to see it.

I remember fairly recently ,a commercial for some type of Pullups that glowed. The commercial had the dad with the pullups stuck on himself maybe dressed as a robot ? He would pretend to charge them up for bedtime for his kids.

Back