Wish I'd have daipered

Lethdale

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I'm still at that stage..."Can I get away with a pull-up?".
My bladder plays tricks..
Yesterday, it behaved.
A Sunday service....barely a mutter.
Today, it's back to a weekday service....rush hour, every hour...in and out to the loo with nothing but a pull-up and a grimace to catch my premature spurts with post pan drips and reflux.
And now I want to go out....wish I'd have daipered.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, Deleted member 79224, Zeke and 1 other person
During the day, my urinary control is ok if I stay ahead of a full bladder.

However, the threat of diarrhea (IBS-d) keeps me wearing pull-ups during the day. I've only had a handful of accidents but the threat of another keeps me wary. So similarly, I'd like to be diapered for greater protection, but this makes using the toilet awkward. Catch-22.

Reactions: Diprs2, Deleted member 79224, Pino and 2 others
Lethdale, at the beginning of my IC I made quite quick the experience, that it's mostly the best decision being always prepared for the worst. Especially if you are in a status that your IC is - in no way - something reliable. Being in the security of home, it's easier to "play" with your continence - even if an accident happens, it's easy to change clothing, cleaning up etc. But being outside of home - no matter if for work, for pleasure, shopping or whatever - I always wear that protection I can be absolutely sure that no (visible) accidents ever happen in the foreseeable time (and I have additional a spare with me). If that kind of good protection makes quick bathroom access difficult I don't care too much - knowing that this protection can handle all my output and if I using a toilet is difficult I use my diapers. Sure, I'm only bladder IC, for those with F-IC such a decision might be on another level...

Reactions: Diprs2, HalMidLife, Pino and 2 others
slimjiminy said:
During the day, my urinary control is ok if I stay ahead of a full bladder.

However, the threat of diarrhea (IBS-d) keeps me wearing pull-ups during the day. I've only had a handful of accidents but the threat of another keeps me wary. So similarly, I'd like to be diapered for greater protection, but this makes using the toilet awkward. Catch-22.
Yes, it's a toss up.
Do I wear pull-ups and risk not being able to reach a loo in time.....or do I fully diaper up but find myself locked into using them when maybe I could have reached a toilet?.
On a long period outside of home, this is an easy decision. A nappy/rubbers combo is sensible.
Maybe I should diaper up all the time, to be absolutely sure of no accidents and anxiety...but then one worries that one is giving up control too easily.
That's not something I want despite enjoying the freedom and peace of mind that nappies offer.
My mind wavers between fight and commital.

Reactions: Diprs2, Garboho, slimjiminy and 1 other person
hbic60 said:
Lethdale, at the beginning of my IC I made quite quick the experience, that it's mostly the best decision being always prepared for the worst. Especially if you are in a status that your IC is - in no way - something reliable. Being in the security of home, it's easier to "play" with your continence - even if an accident happens, it's easy to change clothing, cleaning up etc. But being outside of home - no matter if for work, for pleasure, shopping or whatever - I always wear that protection I can be absolutely sure that no (visible) accidents ever happen in the foreseeable time (and I have additional a spare with me). If that kind of good protection makes quick bathroom access difficult I don't care too much - knowing that this protection can handle all my output and if I using a toilet is difficult I use my diapers. Sure, I'm only bladder IC, for those with F-IC such a decision might be on another level...
You are right, of course.
Time will ease me into constant use of full diapers, I think.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
The vast transition is and has always been a difficult time as each individual travels this road!

I have long worked at saving whatever control /feeling I have/had as it provides a bit of inner joy of ownership, being in control. Even if for just a few minutes. There is no question that those days of near or full lost was disheartening. I was woken to this reality again as a result of a nasty Intestinal Flu where for several days, I had zero awareness or control and was fully IC.

I am fully diapered everyday, 24/7, with the minor exception of washing-up, drying-out and diapering. Even when I get an indication of pending release, I will work at holding it, even knowing the diaper will catch it anyway! That reality at the diaper will catch it is why I so strongly believe in diapering with the worst case always in mind! It is also why, I always carry a diaper bag whenever I am out and about.

"Prepare for the worst, rejoice when not needed!

Reactions: Diprs2, HalMidLife, Zeke and 4 others
Edgewater said:
The vast transition is and has always been a difficult time as each individual travels this road!

I have long worked at saving whatever control /feeling I have/had as it provides a bit of inner joy of ownership, being in control. Even if for just a few minutes. There is no question that those days of near or full lost was disheartening. I was woken to this reality again as a result of a nasty Intestinal Flu where for several days, I had zero awareness or control and was fully IC.

I am fully diapered everyday, 24/7, with the minor exception of washing-up, drying-out and diapering. Even when I get an indication of pending release, I will work at holding it, even knowing the diaper will catch it anyway! That reality at the diaper will catch it is why I so strongly believe in diapering with the worst case always in mind! It is also why, I always carry a diaper bag whenever I am out and about.

"Prepare for the worst, rejoice when not needed!
Thank you, sir. 🙏

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater
At first I tried to fight my steadily increasing incontinence but was looking the battle. My continence nurse wanted me to stay out of app is during the day as long as possible and try and retain some bladder control. Eventually she agreed it was up to me in the end. Wearing nappies al. The time definitely improved my life which revolved round being close to a toilet all the time or risking wet pants.

Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp, Edgewater and 1 other person
Wetshisbed said:
At first I tried to fight my steadily increasing incontinence but was looking the battle. My continence nurse wanted me to stay out of app is during the day as long as possible and try and retain some bladder control. Eventually she agreed it was up to me in the end. Wearing nappies al. The time definitely improved my life which revolved round being close to a toilet all the time or risking wet pants.
I couldn't hold myself this morning and drenched my night-time pull-ups so I'm in Tena Proskin and rubbers today. I've a trip out and jobs to do. I can't be in and out to the loo all day or get the (NOW!!!) urge and find there's not a convenience in sight.

hbic60 said:
What I have is a mental resistance to committing to wearing nappies 24/7.
Once I decide to wear one for going out, I feel dandy. It's just accepting them beforehand....so I opt for pull-ups which, although are fine for catching my releases before getting to the pan, are in no way adequate for times when I find I have to go out for something... they would not shield me at all if I lost control....so I find myself desperately trying to hold as if I was wearing no protection at all....which is silly, I know.
Maybe, were my physical condition worse, my mental acceptance would be resolute.
As it is, I hover.

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke and Edgewater
Lethdale said:
What I have is a mental resistance to committing to wearing nappies 24/7.
Once I decide to wear one for going out, I feel dandy. It's just accepting them beforehand....so I opt for pull-ups which, although are fine for catching my releases before getting to the pan, are in no way adequate for times when I find I have to go out for something... they would not shield me at all if I lost control....so I find myself desperately trying to hold as if I was wearing no protection at all....which is silly, I know.
Maybe, were my physical condition worse, my mental acceptance would be resolute.
As it is, I hover.
Hey at the end of the day, you have to be you!!
We are very luck today, in having a wide choice in what to wear and when!
Choose to wear what meets your current needs, just take care of assuring you are wearing enough protection to cover your time out!

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke and Lethdale
Edgewater said:
Hey at the end of the day, you have to be you!!
We are very luck today, in having a wide choice in what to wear and when!
Choose to wear what meets your current needs, just take care of assuring you are wearing enough protection to cover your time out!
Thank you, sir.
As I say, once I'm wearing one, I'm OK and thankfully so.

Lethdale said:
Thank you, sir.
As I say, once I'm wearing one, I'm OK and thankfully so.
love to tinkle in in pull ups throu out the day.

Reactions: Diprs2
@Lethdale Just because you needed to use a diaper on some days does not mean that you have to choose only one course of action, diapers 24/7. Adapt to what you feel is needed to be confident in the moment. Maybe pull-ons or even underwear if you are up to it, and diapers when wanting a bit more protection and confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, slimjiminy and Lethdale
daylight said:
@Lethdale Just because you needed to use a diaper on some days does not mean that you have to choose only one course of action, diapers 24/7. Adapt to what you feel is needed to be confident in the moment. Maybe pull-ons or even underwear if you are up to it, and diapers when wanting a bit more protection and confidence.
Thank you. It's just a guessing game.
I try to keep to pull-ups and loo usage if at home.
Nappies and rubbers for extended journeys out.

Reactions: Diprs2 and slimjiminy
Lethdale said:
Thank you. It's just a guessing game.
I try to keep to pull-ups and loo usage if at home.
Nappies and rubbers for extended journeys out.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Best to you.

Reactions: Lethdale
Lethdale said:
I'm still at that stage..."Can I get away with a pull-up?".
My bladder plays tricks..
Yesterday, it behaved.
A Sunday service....barely a mutter.
Today, it's back to a weekday service....rush hour, every hour...in and out to the loo with nothing but a pull-up and a grimace to catch my premature spurts with post pan drips and reflux.
And now I want to go out....wish I'd have daipered.
When I first became dual ic I was under the delusion that pull ups would handle my needs. That was soon corrected and I tried relying on 4 tape “briefs” which were better and I later switched to cloth reusable diapers because of the cost of disposables. I’ve learned to not trust my body enough to go for any period of time without a diaper and wouldn’t even consider doing so now. You might make the mistake of thinking that you can get away under diapered with urinary incontinence but you’ll likely not repeat that mistake with fecal incontinence.

Reactions: Diprs2, Lethdale and slimjiminy
Edgewater said:
Prepare for the worst
We all know that everyone who is IC, they have different type of incontinence. From U-IC to F-IC (or both), daytime to only nighttime, including intensities and different kind of diapers. Regardless of when, how and where, the best thing is to be prepared.

For those who are complete IC (like me), it's never a choice (should I use a pull-up, a diaper or neither). The only choice I have is whether to wear my diaper with or without a booster and plastic pants. And perhaps using my disposable diaper or a cloth one. Either way, I always wear one of them. It's a necessary and of course it's not a choice.

At any point, it's all about preparing.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, Zeke and 1 other person
With spring/summer coming, the choice of pull-up/diaper+pp becomes important again for me. I like to attend dirt track stock car racing events, which last for about 4 hours in the evenings on weekends. Being out in the dust and sun for a couple of hours, I also need to hydrate. Since getting an urge and waiting in line for the washroom doesn't work, I use my diaper. Not to mention the time involved to get to the washroom from the grand stands.

And because it is 4+ hours, I also worry about IBS-d (diarrhea). So that means a proper plastic backed diaper, plastic pants, and compression pant to just keep things contained. I always feel a little weird about this at the start of the season. But for these occasions, I know I need full protection.

I usually eat dinner at a hamburger joint on the way to the track (better food than the track's confectionaries). Leaving with the food tray in my hand, I once had a 3 yr old pound my butt with her two little fists. Not sure why she did that but perhaps she thought I was her grandpa/uncle. But it sure surprised me! All I could do is playfully answer her with "What?", to which she had no reply. I don't know if she felt my layers of diaper on but I just smiled at the worried looking father coming for her and left before she said anything further. I think that is the closest I have come to being "outed".

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2, Lethdale and Edgewater
slimjiminy said:
With spring/summer coming, the choice of pull-up/diaper+pp becomes important again for me. I like to attend dirt track stock car racing events, which last for about 4 hours in the evenings on weekends. Being out in the dust and sun for a couple of hours, I also need to hydrate. Since getting an urge and waiting in line for the washroom doesn't work, I use my diaper. Not to mention the time involved to get to the washroom from the grand stands.

And because it is 4+ hours, I also worry about IBS-d (diarrhea). So that means a proper plastic backed diaper, plastic pants, and compression pant to just keep things contained. I always feel a little weird about this at the start of the season. But for these occasions, I know I need full protection.

I usually eat dinner at a hamburger joint on the way to the track (better food than the track's confectionaries). Leaving with the food tray in my hand, I once had a 3 yr old pound my butt with her two little fists. Not sure why she did that but perhaps she thought I was her grandpa/uncle. But it sure surprised me! All I could do is playfully answer her with "What?", to which she had no reply. I don't know if she felt my layers of diaper on but I just smiled at the worried looking father coming for her and left before she said anything further. I think that is the closest I have come to being "outed".
Well, if I had a choice, being outed by a 3 yr old would be preferable! Happy that you survived the attention!

Reactions: Diprs2, slimjiminy and Lethdale
Back